Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bed sizes in Canada

Bed sizes in Canada

Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

sjmartin is on a distinguished road
Default Bed sizes in Canada

Hi to all, this forum has been of great help to me over the years and has finally paid off, we are off to Toronto in January next year!

Lots of things to sort out including shipping costs etc. but at the back of my mind I think I have read somewhere that in Canada the bed sizes are totally different than here in the UK.

We have two single beds and one standard double size bed. Does this mean it's not worth shipping and should we sell before we leave?

Your comments/experiences would be much appreciated thanks!!!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bed sizes in Canada

If your beds are good ship them, beds are expensive over here.

The sizes are different (generally a bit larger) but a Canadian single duvet would fit a UK bed as long as you bought a flat sheet not fitted.

BTW, bedding is expensive too so we renewed most of ours in the months before our move and we are really glad that we did.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice.

Our own double bed is good (new mattress last year). So will probably take with us.

The kids single beds are a little old and worn so may be worth selling beforehand?

When you say that beds are expensive, what's the typical price you'd expect to pay for a mid range single bed then?

Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Look in Wiki. There's stuff on beds in there.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks I'll do that!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't bought singles myself so others may advise better but expect to pay several hundred pounds.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point

They're pushing this memory foam layer beds in the stores.
We're waiting on our bed coming (on the damn murphy guest bed at the moment)... We got a good deal from the Brick. Sealy Crowne Royal (it's like heaven) for 1k off. Total we paid converted with tax to about 700 GBP - you'd still pay double that for this quality in the uk. The beds here are much higher off the ground than what you're used to. They come with a base plus you'd have to buy a steel frame either with legs or wheels.
I second the sheets being expensive - however, if you plan to kit out the bed with additional pillows and shams etc... buying the sets work out at a good deal. I used to buy my linen from Habitiat and I would spend a fortune just on a kingsize cover.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:22 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

We haven't found beds or bedding overly expensive here. We all got top of the range beds (1 king, I queen, 2 twins) including frames & boxes for great prices from Sears & the bedding from Linens "N" Things, again for great prices (compared to UK) My eldest got his Queen (bigger than a double - what we call King in the UK) for around £500 all in - it has an organic cotton pillow top & everything, his entire bed linen was in a package (so called bed in a box here) that included quilt, sheets (flat & fitted), skirt, pillow cases x 2 & 2 scatter cushions for just under £40.

We paid something under £600 for our lovely, huge King - same mattress as sons & "all in again." We went for Egyptian cotton sheets etc, which are expensive in the UK too but again we paid under UK Costco price for those at Linens. I admit we bargained due to bulk buying on the beds but the linens were no more than they would have been in the UK.

Just remember the price you see is not necessarily the price you pay - you have to stop being British & haggle!! :-)

Last edited by RN1; Sep 12th 2008 at 5:25 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 5:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
BTW, bedding is expensive too so we renewed most of ours in the months before our move and we are really glad that we did.
Is it?

I've bought queen size quilts and sheet sets here for under $15.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

would love to know some shops to buy bed from, i understand there are warehouse sales that go on>
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:32 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a related question

We are packing light so won't be taking beds, but I was wondering if it was worth taking pillow cases. We've got some soft comfy pillowcases I'd like to keep but don't know if they'll fit the pillows over there. Anyone know?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

i think there are a different size
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a related question

We are packing light so won't be taking beds, but I was wondering if it was worth taking pillow cases. We've got some soft comfy pillowcases I'd like to keep but don't know if they'll fit the pillows over there. Anyone know?
Same size, my UK pillows fit Canadian cases.

If you buy a King set here (that's UK Superking) you get longer pillows, but the normal size pillow is the same as UK normal.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:47 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Same size, my UK pillows fit Canadian cases.

If you buy a King set here (that's UK Superking) you get longer pillows, but the normal size pillow is the same as UK normal.
Thank you Biiiiink, helpful as ever
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Fwiw, I just bought a Tempur-pedic king in the US at the weekend, Mr B was keen on that kind, I'm reserving judgement - only had it 2 nights. It was 1000 dollars less 10 miles over the border, same bed. They delivered to Canada for 59.99 and instead of doing it myself and paying 6% Michigan tax, 8% PST and 5% GST, there was only 5% GST to pay - the store is registered and collects that on your behalf. Absolutely delighted with the whole buying experience over there. I could have paid but took the store's interest-free credit, the money's better in my account for now, just - I was sure the application wouldn't work being in the US and me having no credit history there but it did.

For anyone in the Windsor area (I know they also deliver as far as Chatham, not sure about beyond there) - try Art Van Furniture - can't praise them enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.