British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   This is becoming so real - mixture of emotions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/becoming-so-real-mixture-emotions-770145/)

foreigngirl Aug 31st 2012 5:21 pm

This is becoming so real - mixture of emotions

We've just received all the forms, checklists and LMO exemption letter. This move is happening so quickly and becoming very real. One minute I'm so excited, then the next anxious and worried. I feel I've been very thorough in my research, know this is the right thing to do and that Vancouver is very likely to appeal to me. Why am I so anxious then?

Boy d Aug 31st 2012 5:47 pm

Re: This is becoming so real - mixture of emotions

Originally Posted by foreigngirl (Post 10257342)
We've just received all the forms, checklists and LMO exemption letter. This move is happening so quickly and becoming very real. One minute I'm so excited, then the next anxious and worried. I feel I've been very thorough in my research, know this is the right thing to do and that Vancouver is very likely to appeal to me. Why am I so anxious then?

its called eustress and its really your response to a situation. One could be optimistic looking forward to a challenge, filled with hope etc or one could be filled with trepidation and anxiety. Rather like taking a test and wondering if you have prep'd enough. The stress is designed to focus your attention.

Its normal. It causes you to consider all possible outcomes. Not to mention that moving abroad, leaving behind one's comfort zone and all that is safe and famliar is stressful.

Life is a crap shoot and fortune favours the brave but luck also comes into it...can i find a decent job, will i like where I live, will i make new friends? What if........

You have to commit then make the best of it with a positive attitude. If it doesn't work out, you can always go back, a bit lighter in the pocket but richer for the experience of it. besides, vancouver is a pretty nice slice of the world, regardless of what some on here would have you believe.

good luck...any practical help i can give about vancouver just fire away or pm me

julescg Aug 31st 2012 5:58 pm

Probably because it is a mamouth life changing move, I moved here (Halifax, NS) 4 months ago, and I look back over what I've achieved in the last year and I think wow, compared to last year, I'm so much happier here - helped by having had a very good summer though! Like you I planned as much as I could and I found that really helped, I had it all lined out what to do the day after I landed - go open bank account get SIN number etc, and everything worked like clockwork!!

Good luck and enjoy, all your hard work you've done in the planning so far will make it less stressful once you've landed!

Londonuck Aug 31st 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by foreigngirl (Post 10257342)

Its normal.

Next its the nagging voice in your head everyday saying, should I go home... should I go home...

Just kidding :)

Bring cheese.

julescg Aug 31st 2012 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 10257416)
Bring cheese.

Definitley - in fact can you air drop some off for me as you fly over NS please!!

Howefamily Aug 31st 2012 6:20 pm

I found the leadup to be the worst, once we had left it was easier. When you arrive you are so busy and there is an air of being on some kind of bizarre vacation and all these things help.
What happens in the future is anyones guess and it will either become your home or it wont, you cant tell.

Its not irreversable, I say go with it, enjoy the ride. Good luck :thumbup:

MillieF Sep 1st 2012 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 10257438)
I found the leadup to be the worst, once we had left it was easier.

Entirely agree. The last week was a nightmare, so much to do, and emotions all over the place..fear, trepidation, excitement, in tears one mo and giggling the next! I've only been here a month and my emotions are just starting to get back to some sort level. I've no idea if I'll be happy, but I'm optimistic, and certainly not unhappy.

I thought I had most things planned for, but I hadn't counted on this move just being so phisically and mentally exhausting. My body feels like I've been run over by a truck.

Dotty P Sep 1st 2012 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 10258705)
Entirely agree. The last week was a nightmare, so much to do, and emotions all over the place..fear, trepidation, excitement, in tears one mo and giggling the next! I've only been here a month and my emotions are just starting to get back to some sort level. I've no idea if I'll be happy, but I'm optimistic, and certainly not unhappy.

I thought I had most things planned for, but I hadn't counted on this move just being so phisically and mentally exhausting. My body feels like I've been run over by a truck.

I completely agree with this and Mrs. Howe. Not wishing to stress you but the lead up was possibly the most stressful, tiring and draining experience. All the packing, cleaning, organising....friends and family to say goodbye to, 17 yr son's friends who found it hard to let him go.....etc. etc. It's true also that once here, you do feel like you're on a weird holiday but with ample amounts of stress thrown in. I feel like I've just come out of a coma and been thrown into a life where EVERYTHING is new! You literally start your life again. We're two months in and only just starting to actually feel normal again(ish). Having said that, there's always something to organise so we usually end up falling into bed at night, completely exhausted. I've threatened my OH that the only time I would ever do anything like this again is if it doesn't work out here and we go back the UK. That said, we're enjoying it for the most part and remain enthusiatic and optimistic. Easy it ain't, stressful it most certainly is and it's not for the feint hearted. It's a great experience though and good to see life in another part of the world. Your feelings are completely normal. When I look back to the stage you're at, it feels like a million years ago. Humans have a great capacity to forget pain, thank goodness!

magnumpi Sep 1st 2012 9:29 pm

It's a fear of the unknown.

Normal IMO

missieleah Sep 2nd 2012 9:25 pm

Hi foreigngirl... I know how you feel.

We're at exactly the same position, moving in two weeks and having panic attacks one minute and butterflies the next. I think its normal, the anticipation of a new start and the leaving everything you know. We're moving with 4 kids, 5, 4, 2 and 9 months and I'm petrified because hubby is flying over 2 weeks before us and then I'm flying (3 separate flights!) after him for a total of 22 hours travelling! Can't wait! :unsure:

I've leant at this stage to go with the flow, if you have a blow out, laugh about it after...:ohmy:

manpz85 Sep 2nd 2012 9:53 pm

I'm feeling the same! I'm moving to Toronto from the UK to Toronto on the 12th, I'm quite excited but trying not to stress out as it won't help. Good luck with your move.

Manpreet

The4BellsLondon Sep 3rd 2012 5:34 am

It's horrid in the lead up ... and can be horrid when you get here -all depends on the person, where you are, what you are doing etc. . .

BUt there are lots of us here on the West Coast that can assist with beer and wine imbibing when require- provided HEAT magazine, cheese and chocolate are brought over by you initially ;)

cllb2 Sep 4th 2012 4:53 pm

Hey, maybe we can support one another on here.

I feel the same as you, now we have decided to say yes to the transfer for my husband. Although I do have to say I'm shocked that my excitment is far outweighing trepidation seeing as I'm such a home-town girl. Perhaps its because our stay is only temporary?

I've been dealing with the long list of things to do by indulging my stationary fetish (bought a Leuchturrm notebook) and making a planner of everything. Ive just been making notes of every little thing in the relevant section (eg. finance, houseing) as I come across it. Otherwise I think my brain will fill up

foreigngirl Sep 4th 2012 7:58 pm

I'm really overwhelmed with all the positive responses. Thank you all so much. It's good to know that this isn't unusual and that I'm not alone in all of this. I can't believe that in just oever 3 weeks we're supposed to be landing in Canada. No permits, no tickets, no place to stay...yet. Gosh, it's going to be a very hectic 3 weeks. I'm bound to come back with lots of questions and I'll also keep you posted on our developments.
Thank you all so much!

Former Lancastrian Sep 4th 2012 8:29 pm

Heres another acronym to cause more stress CBSA :rofl: