Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

From BC to Windsor area in Ontario and real estate

Wikiposts

From BC to Windsor area in Ontario and real estate

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

jjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant future
Default From BC to Windsor area in Ontario and real estate

Hi
We have just searched for and bought a house in the Windsor area of ontario. Prior to going over there from BC, we had heard many bad things abut the area mainly from people who had never even been. We found South Windsor, Tecumseh and especially Lasalle to be really beautiful areas with many really big cheap houses to suit every taste. Decent housing in the area starts from around $150-200,000 for detached houses with many houses considerably cheaper and in the low $100,000s and in many cases, even less. In BC, around Vancouver there is not much change from $400,000 for a modest half decent house.

The Windsor area appears to have everything we need and also seems to have proximity to most things. After living in our area of BC for 18 months which don't get me wrong is beautiful, we found that it was time for a little more than mountain views and sports bars that get empty after 8pm. In Ontario, we dealt with an agent called Maggie Chen of Deerbrook Realty who was so incredibly efficient and totally professional that I have to make comment about her. She showed us many houses in order to make a good comparison and did not push us in any particular direction. For us, our trip to Windsor was seemingly a positive experience and well worth the airfare.

J
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From BC to Windsor area in Ontario and real estate

Congrats on your purchase Where did you opt for in the end? And have you got work lined up?

It certainly is a buyer's market round here. We started looking seriously about Oct 2006. Many of the houses I browsed online then are still for sale now We looked as far out as Lakeshore/BelleRiver but ended up with a wonderful bargain in LaSalle. I don't have a single complaint about the place, it's ideal for us. Hope you'll be as happy with your move as we are
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

jjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant futurejjanj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Congrats on your purchase Where did you opt for in the end? And have you got work lined up?

It certainly is a buyer's market round here. We started looking seriously about Oct 2006. Many of the houses I browsed online then are still for sale now We looked as far out as Lakeshore/BelleRiver but ended up with a wonderful bargain in LaSalle. I don't have a single complaint about the place, it's ideal for us. Hope you'll be as happy with your move as we are
Hi
We bought in Lasalle as work is not a real issue. Lasalle is a really nice area and reasonably close to most things including pubs which has now become a plus to us. We have daughter who visits from Australia and likes pubs, a teenage boy who is rapidly approaching drinking age and will need something more than BC especially pubs. Windsor has a uni, Devonshire mall is close and there is easy access to the US and oh yes, did I mention the pubs.
J
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjanj
Hi
We bought in Lasalle as work is not a real issue. Lasalle is a really nice area and reasonably close to most things including pubs which has now become a plus to us. We have daughter who visits from Australia and likes pubs, a teenage boy who is rapidly approaching drinking age and will need something more than BC especially pubs. Windsor has a uni, Devonshire mall is close and there is easy access to the US and oh yes, did I mention the pubs.
J
Welcome to the neighbourhood

Do you mean pubs in LaSalle? Or the bars in Windsor? Everyone complains about the bars in Windsor but I think it's fantastic to see people out and about, and a bit of life in the place. Of course it's not my front step all the US teens are barfing on, but hey

I'm not a LaSalle expert, only 6mths in myself, but give us a shout if you need any help with finding anything and I'll do my best.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:49 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Great news, very happy for you. Lovely to meet you both before Christmas, eldest sprog has bolted back to Blighty, leaving Mum feeling very miserable. Before you escape the excitement of The Wack, we should get pissed.