BC vs ON

Old Jan 27th 2018, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC vs ON

Originally Posted by Talya88
Thanks guys for the helpful pointers to consider.
If you're considering having a family soon then the other benefit of being on the Ontario side is the time difference between the UK - it does make things a lot easier with keeping in contact with family and flights are cheaper.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 7:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecokid
I don't think those concerns were really mentioned by the original poster
No, they were mentioned by me in response to your comment on dullness as examples of excitement I can do without.

A lot of those tensions you mention are more to do with politics and agenda
Well yes...that was my point...Dogma, as opposed to issues relating to the economy.
than an underlying change in the average British citizen...We're no more rightwing (as a group) than we were before
The increase in the racial incidents immediately after the nutters saw the referendum result as legitimising such things in their eyes suggests different.
...the growing disparity between rich and poor, which is the underlying reason for what we see in the UK today.
That's another subject and it's not new and is not the cause of the growing racial/religious intolerance. Those groups being targeted/less tolerated are not the rich.

Of course the UK always had its National Front, British Movement etc but never under the cloak of respectability we see today.

Apologies to the OP for thread drift. Perhaps a mod can move the off topic comments to their own thread if it continues?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 27th 2018 at 7:26 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Sooooooooo going back to topic

OP, I have a nephew who is a professor at Guelph Uni (his wife is an associate, I understand).. they love the area and frequently go hiking/camping/kayaking/biking etc., with their 2 daughters. They find there's a good life/work balance and take off to the wilds on weekends, out for meals or having bbq's / hanging out with friends. Whilst the cost of housing in Guelph is fairly high it's nowhere near the cost of Vancouver. They both originally lived in Toronto but moved to Guelph for a better 'family' environment.

I've been around the Kitchener/Waterloo areas many times (although I haven't lived there) and have found the area pleasant, though my preference would be Guelph or in the country between them. The area is within easy reach of Northern Ontario or Toronto, there are many towns in the vicinity that offer festivals (look up Burlington and Stratford) etc., in the summer and you are only around 1.5-2 hours to the Blue Mountain ski area or 5 hours to Montreal.

For value for money for housing and having cash to spare at the end of the month, I'd recommend Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph areas.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 27th 2018 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the helpful pointers to consider - the alternative outdoor hobbies in ON which I’d not realised were so accessible and the link to Kitchener and Guelph’s bike trails etc.

Just to highlight my original post however "I would really appreciate any personal experiences/thoughts/ideas/comments etc. on any of the locations I have mentioned". In no way have I asked for people to make a personal life decision for myself. Apologies if anyone misunderstood and wanted to take on this burden!

I do believe a few of the posters here need to think, would an accountant and physicist really make an uncalculated decision based on no research what so ever. I wanted to keep my intro brief, however just for additional background – I got my first job at 18, no going to Uni just getting stuck in, working full time on an apprentice salary and studying for my qualifications in my spare time. I am in no way scared of hard graft and fully appreciate I may need to start out doing office admin or bookkeeping or maybe something completely different.

My Institute have a reciprocal agreement with Canada and I can obtain my CPA designation relatively quickly and by sitting a short multiple-choice test. Yes I don’t know the Canadian system but I’m capable of learning.

My partners line of work doesn’t have the same hurdle as me, but again he appreciates he may have to step down to step back up.

Yes we are comfortable in the UK however we cannot progress our careers any further in our current area. The option for us in the UK would be to move to London for the majority of tech/research/innovation opportunities – I go to London every few months and would never live there and this isn’t due to a cost of living issue. We can’t do comfortable from now until retirement age (looking like 90?) it’s just not us.

Just to calm the nerves of a certain few: -

When we move over we will have enough money to live including rent, food etc for 2-3 months. In this time we aim to find a longer term rental in the correct area and hopefully get some sort of a job. After that 2-3 months we will then have substantial savings to fall back on to, however we are not entertaining this in our mind just to make sure we don’t become complaisant.

We do own a home in the UK however my sister is willing to move in and rent for a while and if we make the move permanent will buy this from us. We are not torching any potential return to the UK – we are not afraid to cut our losses and say well we tried.

Haha Oink, classic – venture holidays, done enough of them thanks – you’re not making a generalisation that I’m of a certain age, trying to find myself and boost my Insta followers, are you?! I’m just like any other Kant trying to better themselves where possible.
So, in other words, you have not done proper research into the job market and hiring conditions, and are making an assumption that things are just going to fall in place for you pretty quickly.

While we are at it, you also seem to be seriously under-budgeting the move. 60 to 90 days is nowhere near enough cushion and I always advise people to have at least six months, and preferably 12 months, of monthly expense money saved up. If you are "not entertaining" that you may have to fall back on savings after 60 days, this again makes me very concerned that your move is under-researched and I strongly, strongly urge you to reconsider that stance - the paragraph above being reason enough.

"I do believe a few of the posters here need to think, would an accountant and physicist really make an uncalculated decision based on no research what so ever."

I absolutely believe this could happen because it does happen, and I also noted that people inexperienced at migrating can put all their research into the wrong priorities. I don't know why you think being an accountant and a physicist somehow shields you from making mistakes. It doesn't.

I urge you to recalculate how much money you actually need for this, do thorough, thorough research into the job market, and worry about the kayaking later. Your statement "Yes I don't know the Canadian system but I'm capable of learning" is a great place to start. "Yes I don't know the Canadian system" is a lot more important to Canadian employers than perhaps you are realising, and it is a great reason for an employer to pass you over and instead short-list a bunch of other people. Rather than have that happen over and over while you burn through your whopping 60-90 days of financial cushion, it would be better to take a recce, speak to hiring managers about what steps an intending migrant with no Canadian experience can take to become attractive in the hiring pool, and then closely follow that advice. Those are also the first steps in building a professional network in Canada.

Good luck.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Talya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
So, in other words, you have not done proper research into the job market and hiring conditions, and are making an assumption that things are just going to fall in place for you pretty quickly.

While we are at it, you also seem to be seriously under-budgeting the move. 60 to 90 days is nowhere near enough cushion and I always advise people to have at least six months, and preferably 12 months, of monthly expense money saved up. If you are "not entertaining" that you may have to fall back on savings after 60 days, this again makes me very concerned that your move is under-researched and I strongly, strongly urge you to reconsider that stance - the paragraph above being reason enough.

"I do believe a few of the posters here need to think, would an accountant and physicist really make an uncalculated decision based on no research what so ever."

I absolutely believe this could happen because it does happen, and I also noted that people inexperienced at migrating can put all their research into the wrong priorities. I don't know why you think being an accountant and a physicist somehow shields you from making mistakes. It doesn't.

I urge you to recalculate how much money you actually need for this, do thorough, thorough research into the job market, and worry about the kayaking later. Your statement "Yes I don't know the Canadian system but I'm capable of learning" is a great place to start. "Yes I don't know the Canadian system" is a lot more important to Canadian employers than perhaps you are realising, and it is a great reason for an employer to pass you over and instead short-list a bunch of other people. Rather than have that happen over and over while you burn through your whopping 60-90 days of financial cushion, it would be better to take a recce, speak to hiring managers about what steps an intending migrant with no Canadian experience can take to become attractive in the hiring pool, and then closely follow that advice. Those are also the first steps in building a professional network in Canada.

Good luck.
Thanks for your advice and this was already actioned way back, I really don't understand why you assume I wouldn't research the job prospects/market. We have already been in touch with numerous recruiters/companies for info & can now no longer go any further as I'm not over there yet with PR. My partner is also contacting tech companies.

Out of interest what industry do you work within?

Within accountancy there is the concept of prudence. I did have a little giggle when you told me to recalculate. My figures stack. I always like to have a challenge and my goal is 2-3 months, like I said I have substantial savings to fall back on AFTER the 2-3 months also.

By the way, I don't kayak (another assumption?) so don't worry I won't be jumping in one anytime soon before getting a job. I'm not too sure what posts you read but they don't seem to be mine.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely reading your posts. Successful migration is also about having the right attitude (and knowing what the right attitude is).

I'm sorry you think it's giggle-worthy that I think you should have more than 60 days' worth of funds set aside before you start blowing through your savings - especially when wanting to plan a family - and I'm unsure how you know your figures "stack" when you have no idea what your income is going to be or even what part of the country you're going to be living in. Then it came out in your last post that you didn't actually have that money set aside, it was just a "goal."

I think you haven't researched your job prospects because that is what you said that in your original post - "unsure of the job prospects (?)." People who have firm offers in Canada or have been told by a company in Canada that their prospects are good, usually say so, they don't write that they are "unsure of the job prospects" and then when pressed on it, get defensive and write in generic vagueness and say that they have been "in touch with recruiters" and their partner has been "contacting tech companies."

There is nothing wrong with showing up in Canada without a job, or limited funds, many people do that, but you are asking for a problem when you plan on doing that with the assumption that you are going to land a professional-style job in the same ballpark as what you had in the UK, or just a half-step behind that, within 60 days.

But, whatever - it doesn't affect me at all whether your move succeeds or fails. Good luck, and hope we don't see you in the "Back to the UK" forum, savings depleted, a year from now.

Last edited by carcajou; Jan 28th 2018 at 12:17 am.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 12:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice and this was already actioned way back, I really don't understand why you assume I wouldn't research the job prospects/market. We have already been in touch with numerous recruiters/companies for info & can now no longer go any further as I'm not over there yet with PR. My partner is also contacting tech companies.

Out of interest what industry do you work within?

Within accountancy there is the concept of prudence. I did have a little giggle when you told me to recalculate. My figures stack. I always like to have a challenge and my goal is 2-3 months, like I said I have substantial savings to fall back on AFTER the 2-3 months also.

By the way, I don't kayak (another assumption?) so don't worry I won't be jumping in one anytime soon before getting a job. I'm not too sure what posts you read but they don't seem to be mine.
I don't imagine many people move with 60 days worth of funding, we didn't have 6 days. I would think that in Guelph or K-W a CA willing to do any sort of bookkeeping job temporarily would have no trouble generating some sort of income. A physicist maybe less so, but there are posters on this board with connections to such work in the area.

I dunno though how someone who doesn't kayak would get on around here, we go out on kayaks nearly every year and we are not at all outdoorsy people.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Talya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond reputeTalya88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I'm definitely reading your posts. Successful migration is also about having the right attitude (and knowing what the right attitude is).

I'm sorry you think it's giggle-worthy that I think you should have more than 60 days' worth of funds set aside before you start blowing through your savings - especially when wanting to plan a family - and I'm unsure how you know your figures "stack" when you have no idea what your income is going to be or even what part of the country you're going to be living in. Then it came out in your last post that you didn't actually have that money set aside, it was just a "goal."

I think you haven't researched your job prospects because that is what you said that in your original post - "unsure of the job prospects (?)." People who have firm offers in Canada or have been told by a company in Canada that their prospects are good, usually say so, they don't write that they are "unsure of the job prospects" and then when pressed on it, get defensive and write in generic vagueness and say that their partner has been "contacting tech companies."

There is nothing wrong with showing up in Canada without a job, many people do that, but you are asking for a problem when you plan on doing that with the assumption that you are going to land a professional-style job in the same ballpark as what you had in the UK, or just a half-step behind that, within 60 days.

But, whatever - it doesn't affect me at all whether your move succeeds or fails. Good luck, and hope we don't see you in the "Back to the UK" forum, savings depleted, a year from now.
I believe I do have the right attitude - I know it's going to be far from easy, I will go backwards before forwards and will spend a significant amount of money. May end up returning to the UK.

I do find it giggle-worthy. I'm an accountant and by nature a very prudent person. I always work to the worse case scenario. My finances are all in order and I don't know how many times I need to say so. We can both live comfortably in either place for 12 months without a job and blowing away savings.

Again, not reading my posts - what industry do you work within and have insight into?

Yes I completely agree and stand by my original post - "I am unsure of the job prospects" nothing is certain in the job market, individuals and companies in Canada could tell me anything.

I have spreadsheets detailing companies we have contacted and spent a lot of time compiling this - that is why I am defensive. The tech area of KW is booming and that is why we have zoned in here, it's not a random selection. Generic I'm not, just no need to list numerous companies to you.

I know there is nothing wrong coming without a job - I'm definitely coming without one, partner possibly but most unlikely.

Retract your claws, I have all the drive not to be in the 'back to UK forum'

Thank you for all the helpful location specific advice from the majority of posters. It's just unfortunate that I've had unnecessary comments from a few and even abusive from Oink.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't imagine many people move with 60 days worth of funding, we didn't have 6 days. I would think that in Guelph or K-W a CA willing to do any sort of bookkeeping job temporarily would have no trouble generating some sort of income. A physicist maybe less so, but there are posters on this board with connections to such work in the area.

I dunno though how someone who doesn't kayak would get on around here, we go out on kayaks nearly every year and we are not at all outdoorsy people.
To be honest I'm already swatting up on the Canadian system, will aim high but more than happy with an entry level bookkeeping position and put it into practice. I will have the CPA designation from Canada so they will know I'm not a total muppet.

Haha I'll put the kayaking on my to do list 👍🏻
Old Jan 28th 2018, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I'm already swatting up on the Canadian system, will aim high but more than happy with an entry level bookkeeping position and put it into practice. I will have the CPA designation from Canada so they will know I'm not a total muppet.

Haha I'll put the kayaking on my to do list 👍🏻
If you wanted to be a fashionable and expensive accounting sort of person in this area then you might want to look at US taxes too. Kylie Bechtold is an example of someone valuable because she knows which forms are needed for which multi-jurisdictional malarkies and there's a lot of that sort of caper around here. Note that, while I had her estimate a matter for me once, I've had no professional dealings with her.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:38 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

My family and I have been through this process and I am now days away from departing for BC, with my wife and daughter following in March. If you're into the outdoors, especially mountain biking, kayaking, etc then surely BC has got to be the one! I have spent a lot of time in BC before deciding to move there and it is renowned around the world as the mecca of mountain biking. Whenever people on here talk about BC they seem to only mention Vancouver and Victoria etc, what about the interior? It's far cheaper in the Okanagan for example and still plenty of job prospects. I started looking almost a year ago and have now lined up a job in my field, funnily enough in Interior BC but working remotely for a company in Ontario! We're moving to Vernon and have family in Kelowna. Check them out. And with the Van Steenbergens and Brett Rheeder living nearby (mtb legends if you don't already know) and several ski resorts within a couple of hours drive, most of which are bike parks in the summer, and more wilderness, forests and lakes for adventures than you can shake an inner tube at, for me its a winner and I'm sure you will love it too. Don't listen to the naysayers, you only live once so go for it, and good luck!
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
My family and I have been through this process and I am now days away from departing for BC, with my wife and daughter following in March. If you're into the outdoors, especially mountain biking, kayaking, etc then surely BC has got to be the one! I have spent a lot of time in BC before deciding to move there and it is renowned around the world as the mecca of mountain biking. Whenever people on here talk about BC they seem to only mention Vancouver and Victoria etc, what about the interior? It's far cheaper in the Okanagan for example and still plenty of job prospects. I started looking almost a year ago and have now lined up a job in my field, funnily enough in Interior BC but working remotely for a company in Ontario! We're moving to Vernon and have family in Kelowna. Check them out. And with the Van Steenbergens and Brett Rheeder living nearby (mtb legends if you don't already know) and several ski resorts within a couple of hours drive, most of which are bike parks in the summer, and more wilderness, forests and lakes for adventures than you can shake an inner tube at, for me its a winner and I'm sure you will love it too. Don't listen to the naysayers, you only live once so go for it, and good luck!

But, if you structure your life around mountain biking, what do you do when you're thirty?
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:45 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But, if you structure your life around mountain biking, what do you do when you're thirty?
I am already well over 30...

It helps I am also a huge fan of skiing, hiking, canoeing, camping (and yes I mean 'proper' camping having done so many times in the wilds of BC) open water swimming and generally being in the great outdoors

Last edited by Phaedru5; Jan 29th 2018 at 11:48 am. Reason: adding text
Old Jan 29th 2018, 11:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Whenever people on here talk about BC they seem to only mention Vancouver and Victoria etc, what about the interior?...We're moving to Vernon and have family in Kelowna....
Vernon/Kelowna/Kamloops are all mentioned plenty on BE, perhaps more so than Victoria. Certainly there appear to be more regulars in those places than Victoria.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 12:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I am already well over 30...

It helps I am also a huge fan of skiing, hiking, canoeing, camping (and yes I mean 'proper' camping having done so many times in the wilds of BC) open water swimming and generally being in the great outdoors
Perhaps also long walks on the beach and cuddling in front of the fire.

It'd be a struggle to find someone who didn't like holiday activities. The snag being that, if you move to a place suitable for them, it is unlikely to also offer career advancement, day cares and good schools.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.