Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Small Claims Court

Wikiposts

BC Small Claims Court

Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:14 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Small Claims Court

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have someone who owed me money a few years back, and after looking into how the small claims system works, and all the BS involved, I just wrote it off, was so not worth the time and effort to pursue it.

The court system is created by lawyers for lawyers, and they seem to do everything in their power to keep average people from easy access to it, but then they have no incentive to make it easy and straightforward as then less would need the services of a lawyer...
Not so though. I just won a case at the upper end of the small claims limit and have received full payment, interest and fees. Has taken several years, a massive amount of preparation and input. In the end it was worth it.

I have walked away from some smaller claims though, the time input was not worth the potential return.

Small claims though can pass for entertainment in the pursuit satisfaction.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not sure how that fits with discovering someone moved from their last known address.

I know that the act of mailing a letter to a tenant at the tenancy address counts for matters such as rent increases and a notice to vacate.
Does it also count for serving someone with the small claims notice? Doesn't seem likely if part of a claim is "you left without giving notice"
If your tenancy agreement states something to the effect of, "... unless other notified, each party agrees that their address for service is ...." then that would suffice. You either serve them at their rental address or, if they have provided you with another, at that address. Of course, whether this would work in practice would depend upon the Rules of Court in the appropriate jurisdiction and, even if it doesn't, there is usually a work around
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The court system is created by lawyers for lawyers, and they seem to do everything in their power to keep average people from easy access to it, but then they have no incentive to make it easy and straightforward as then less would need the services of a lawyer...
Have you ever been involved in a civil proceeding? My experience, on both sides of the Atlantic, is that Judges usually bend over backwards to assist non lawyers understand the process and will grant adjournments that would never be granted to a lawyer to ensure that the non lawyer has every opportunity to present their matter as favourably as possible.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:48 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I have someone who owed me money a few years back, and after looking into how the small claims system works, and all the BS involved, I just wrote it off, was so not worth the time and effort to pursue it.

The whole point of small claims is that neither party ought to need a lawyer, and in fact it shouldn't really be cost effective to do so, with the upper limit being $25k.

So far, we have found the process cheap and easy to do for ourselves, once we got the right forms!
The two judges we gave had dealings with have been spot on, especially the last one. She was brilliant!
Old Aug 15th 2014, 10:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Have you ever been involved in a civil proceeding? My experience, on both sides of the Atlantic, is that Judges usually bend over backwards to assist non lawyers understand the process and will grant adjournments that would never be granted to a lawyer to ensure that the non lawyer has every opportunity to present their matter as favourably as possible.
Just once in the US, but I had a lawyer since it was a bankruptcy proceeding and no way I was gonna attempt that on my own.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 10:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not so though. I just won a case at the upper end of the small claims limit and have received full payment, interest and fees. Has taken several years, a massive amount of preparation and input. In the end it was worth it.

I have walked away from some smaller claims though, the time input was not worth the potential return.

Small claims though can pass for entertainment in the pursuit satisfaction.
Worth it for you and if on the high end of the limit, but for me it wasn't worth the time or effort. The whole starting point was very confusing, and not something I could as a non-lawyer clearly understand, and I am not going to attempt something I don't fully understand, especially in a court.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If your tenancy agreement states something to the effect of, "... unless other notified, each party agrees that their address for service is ...." then that would suffice. You either serve them at their rental address or, if they have provided you with another, at that address. Of course, whether this would work in practice would depend upon the Rules of Court in the appropriate jurisdiction and, even if it doesn't, there is usually a work around
Ah....so in the event it legally counts as serving the small claims notice, they still actually know zero about it. Which means they get to make no submission for their side of the story. Even if the court goes ahead without it and then even if it rules in your favour the ruling still does not become known to the other party so they don't even know they are defaulting.

So it hasn't served any purpose whatsoever.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah....so in the event it legally counts as serving the small claims notice, they still actually know zero about it. Which means they get to make no submission for their side of the story. Even if the court goes ahead without it and then even if it rules in your favour the ruling still does not become known to the other party so they don't even know they are defaulting.

So it hasn't served any purpose whatsoever.
I disagree but I suspect you are not interested in that, you simply want to argue. It is perfectly possible to recover money owed, but, clearly, you find it more beneficial to do nothing and then complain about that on the internet.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Aug 17th 2014 at 2:06 am.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 2:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree but I suspect you are not interested in that, you simply want to argue. It is perfectly possible to recover money owed, but, clearly, you find it more beneficial to do nothing and then complain about that on the internet.
I'm sure the court works very well for the circumstances I described earlier - dispute with neighbour or business where the parties are involved in the process.

But where a party doesn't know there's a case and then doesn't know there's been a ruling against them? It's a non starter.

And there's a time limit too. Don't find them by then and it's too late.

Of course the one organisation in a position to have access to a more up to date address is the very province administering the court. That would help.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:47 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE

RESULT!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
UPDATE

RESULT!!!!
You have the money?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:20 pm
Island life at last

You have the money?
We made an offer to settle.

Bank draft deposited this afternoon.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by helcat12
We made an offer to settle.

Bank draft deposited this afternoon.
Good going then. We took 4 years of hearings and a year to get paid with several payment hearings.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:15 pm
Island life at last

Good going then. We took 4 years of hearings and a year to get paid with several payment hearings.
Filed action 15 months ago.

Glad it is over.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

This is my experience too. As an employee I have represented an employer in both the small claims court and provincial court. When the other side was represented by a lawyer the judge went above and beyond to give me the best opportunity to present my case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.