Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC, Quebec, or stay in UK

BC, Quebec, or stay in UK

Old Sep 14th 2013, 7:57 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC, Quebec, or stay in UK

Originally Posted by jimboger1
Hi Shard
These are some great points that you have brought up
The point about the labour market in BC is something that has been mentioned a couple of times TBH and I need to look into this further
Business Development sounds as if it may also have some challenges due to your valid points
I thought that I had covered everything in my mind, but seems I have not
Where I live in Scotland, we get crap weather ALL of the time, and this was one of the reasons to go, to get a summer, which you DO get in BC
BUT, is this a good enough reason?
I just don't know any more as I have had so many good comments
Keep them coming please
Thanks
Jim

Hi Jim.

Canadian summers are generally very nice (across the country) and there are plenty of recreational activities for the kids to do. But summer is only 2-3 months of the year, unlike winter!

Do you think you will enjoy the cultural differences (being with Canadians vs being with Scots/Brits) - that is one of major differentiators between those who immigrate successfully and those who end up returning to Britain. What is your wife's opinion in all this. As someone else mentioned, your young children will likely transition well and thrive. Although they will lose their Scottish accents.

There's a really good post from Dave & Alisa in the "Canniversary" forum which hints at all the positives when things go right.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

jimboger1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
Hi Jim.

Canadian summers are generally very nice (across the country) and there are plenty of recreational activities for the kids to do. But summer is only 2-3 months of the year, unlike winter!

Do you think you will enjoy the cultural differences (being with Canadians vs being with Scots/Brits) - that is one of major differentiators between those who immigrate successfully and those who end up returning to Britain. What is your wife's opinion in all this. As someone else mentioned, your young children will likely transition well and thrive. Although they will lose their Scottish accents.

There's a really good post from Dave & Alisa in the "Canniversary" forum which hints at all the positives when things go right.
Hi shard
2 or 3 months of summer is 2 or 3 times what I get in central Scotland
I think the cultural difference should be fine TBH - my current job allows me to travel all over the world so have met many nationalities
My wife has said no to the full thing for years, then about 18 months ago, she changed her mind and is completely up for it now
As you say, the kids will be fine
Jim
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:58 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimboger1
Hi shard
2 or 3 months of summer is 2 or 3 times what I get in central Scotland
I think the cultural difference should be fine TBH - my current job allows me to travel all over the world so have met many nationalities
My wife has said no to the full thing for years, then about 18 months ago, she changed her mind and is completely up for it now
As you say, the kids will be fine
Jim
Sounds like you are on you way then!

You will gain great summer weather, beautiful fruit orchards, incredible alpine scenery and access to excellent skiing, boating opportunities, great Asian food, a short drive to Washington state, a slightly longer drive to California, larger houses, clean and safe public parks, positive people, and adventure.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:48 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Sounds like you are on you way then!

You will gain great summer weather, beautiful fruit orchards, incredible alpine scenery and access to excellent skiing, boating opportunities, great Asian food, a short drive to Washington state, a slightly longer drive to California, larger houses, clean and safe public parks, positive people, and adventure.
That all sounds idyllic and makes me want to go and live in BC, but you're assuming a lot of dollars are available for all that stuff.

Great summer - yes. Almost guaranteed.
Beautiful fruit orchards - yes, in some parts of BC. Worth emigrating for? Hmmm.
Great Asian food - yes, in some parts of BC only. Just like the UK. Worth emigrating for?
Access to great skiing and boating - BC is a big place. So is Europe, and from Bathgate you could be on excellent slopes in France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy in a few hours. Even less time from southern England. Boating on the west coast of Scotland is very attractive if that's your thing.
Short drive to Washington state - Never heard this as a pull factor for emigrating to Canada before. Driving to California even less so!
Large houses - yes, at a price in some parts of BC
Safe parks - most parks in the UK are safe.

The reality is that you'd likely be switching one mostly suburban life for another. Canadians spend an AWFUL lot of time stuck in their cars. Despite all the fuss about the Great Outdoors lifestyle in Canada, I genuinely believe that it's possible to be more outdoorsy in the UK. For most in Canada, the Great Outdoors is something you go in your car to experience.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Canadians spend an AWFUL lot of time stuck in their cars. Despite all the fuss about the Great Outdoors lifestyle in Canada, I genuinely believe that it's possible to be more outdoorsy in the UK. For most in Canada, the Great Outdoors is something you go in your car to experience.
Never seen a truer phrase. Nobody 'just' walks here...they drive off for hours to go for a walk. Bizzare.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:03 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MillieF
Never seen a truer phrase. Nobody 'just' walks here...they drive off for hours to go for a walk. Bizzare.
It's a very good point, actually. That would go into one of the "small things that make a huge difference" box that people conclude when they get fed up with a place. That's one of the cultural differences I meant in my earlier post, more accurately, different ways of doing things, different mindsets. One of the things I enjoy most in Europe (inc. UK) is being able to walk places. The scale is different.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by montreal mike
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9#post10899379

have a look at this if Quebec is within your sights

i hope both your french is up to par

I have been hear 51 years and can remember a time when life was still pleasant

whatever you decide i wish you the best
I often visit Montreal on work related stuff. People there tell me that if anyone there say's they don't speak English they are liars. English is taught in every school. Also leaving Scotland to move to Quebec for better weather is not a good idea LOL
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:33 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Without wanting to promote BC (which I loathe), I'd say that it would be a far better bet for the OP to go there than to come to QC.

Coming here with no French and no ready made support group would be a recipe for disaster.

Referring back to an earlier post, I went on a business trip to Trois Rivieres a few years ago. I was instructed by my franco wife and stepson to tell people I was Scottish. It was a lot safer than being English or, worse still, English Canadian.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The reality is that you'd likely be switching one mostly suburban life for another. Canadians spend an AWFUL lot of time stuck in their cars. Despite all the fuss about the Great Outdoors lifestyle in Canada, I genuinely believe that it's possible to be more outdoorsy in the UK. For most in Canada, the Great Outdoors is something you go in your car to experience.
How many people experience the great outdoors in the UK without having access to a vehicle of some sort? I have walked and climbed over a huge amount of the UK. To do so, I had to travel there in a car. I appreciate that I may have been able to travel there in a combination of a bus and a car.

Not many people live in the Lake District, not many people live in Glencoe, not many people live in Snowdonia.

I would suggest that there are relatively few in the UK that can walk from their residence to the great outdoors just as there aren't that many in Canada. Again, location is everything.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I note from another post that you once lived in London. Is it easier to walk to a walk where you currently live than it was when you lived in London?
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:49 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How many people experience the great outdoors in the UK without having access to a vehicle of some sort? I have walked and climbed over a huge amount of the UK. To do so, I had to travel there in a car. I appreciate that I may have been able to travel there in a combination of a bus and a car.

Not many people live in the Lake District, not many people live in Glencoe, not many people live in Snowdonia.

I would suggest that there are relatively few in the UK that can walk from their residence to the great outdoors just as there aren't that many in Canada. Again, location is everything.
The UK is positively riddled with pathways, cycle paths, rights-of-way, bridle paths, open countryside, field verges etc. It would be a very poor outdoorsman indeed who wasn't able to find a public walkway from their residence to the next town or village. Canada - less so. It is designed round the car. You wish to walk in the countryside? Please drive there, park in a car park and follow the trail.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jim, I feel your pain, lol.

In our case, we had a LOT of pull to Canada, but the weather is a HUGE one for us.

Not just because we get to see the day ball almost every day, but because of what comes with it. Simply being able to walk without waterproofs and a wooly hat is great, but being able to organise outdoor activities, host barbies, attend car shows, peach festivals, live bands in the sunshine etc is just glorious.

We went to Burlington Ribfest a couple of weekends ago. We tried some of the amazing food there while listening to a fantastic r&b band as we watched the sun go down over Lake Ontario. All the time thinking "this coule never happen in Scotland.

BUT, if you don't have a passion for Canada, then as has been mentioned, you will find better weather down south, or even France or Spain etc.

I could go on and on and on about how great Canada is for our family, but I would hate to be responsible for someone making the wrong personal decision.

But as far as the weather, it's most definitely worth the move.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I note from another post that you once lived in London. Is it easier to walk to a walk where you currently live than it was when you lived in London?
I think you just walk all the time in London, I used to walk daily from Hyde Park Corner to Holborn, which was just easy as there was lots to see, and pavement. Here, I try to walk to work, which, with pavements (sorry sidewalks) and crossing places should take 15 to 20 minutes, but by the time you've manoeuvred around takes nearer 35 minutes, so I often take the car...which as its a University campus is stupid, as most of the students do the same....and then we all go home and try to exercise! I have a friend here who can't drive due to health problems and he can go on for hours about how anti pedestrian
Canada is.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:13 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

That could be said of the UK tbh, I have seen people drive to walk in a park or area when they could have walked there or walked in a closer park or area. Its not a thing thats mutually exclusive to Canada.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
That could be said of the UK tbh, I have seen people drive to walk in a park or area when they could have walked there or walked in a closer park or area. Its not a thing thats mutually exclusive to Canada.
Probably very true...I just sort of noticed it here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.