Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC or Ontario?

BC or Ontario?

Old Jan 28th 2019, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC or Ontario?

Mission isn't a bad spot for commuting, and if working downtown M-F 9-5 type job, the train into downtown is a nice ride, just over an hour.

I spent about a year in Mission living with a friend, they lived up in the mountains pretty close to Maple Ridge border, but they had a huge house and like 3 acres, quite nice really.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
To answer the OPs question I think I would go for Ontario based on the shorter flights back to the UK. Although proximity to airport offering said flights needs to be factored in too.

I never understood this reason for choosing somewhere to move in Canada. Toronto to London is approximately a 7-hour flight. Vancouver to London is approximately a 9-hour flight. Unless you are commuting between Canada and the UK multiple times a month, the two-hours worth of savings shouldn't be big part of the factor. It's a long flight regardless of where you end up. The lifestyle, amenities, culture, etc. on the ground in Canada would have more of a day-to-day impact on your life. Choose somewhere in Canada that aligns with your values, interests, hobbies, career, etc. first. The long flight will happen regardless of where you end up.

Also, once you arrive in Canada, if you move to Ontario, you will probably only be spending the bulk of your time in Ontario and rarely venturing beyond. Likewise for BC, once you arrive there, you will likely not venture outside of BC very much. Flying between BC and Ontario includes a very expensive 5-hour flight. Hence, I emphasize, the lifestyle and social cultures of the communities you choose to live in will play a much more important role in your life once here. You will not be nipping back and forth across the country unless you have a good reason - it's so cost prohibitive to travel domestically in Canada.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 28th 2019 at 9:23 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
I never understood this reason for choosing somewhere to move in Canada. Toronto to London is approximately a 7-hour flight. Vancouver to London is approximately a 9-hour flight. Unless you are commuting between Canada and the UK multiple times a month, the two-hours worth of savings shouldn't be big part of the factor. The lifestyle, amenities, culture, etc. on the ground in Canada would have more of a day-to-day impact on your life.
I agree - if you're thinking about 2 extra hours back to the UK, then you're not going to succeed here in Canada - you're still back there in your heart.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 9:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Grinrod is nice. This doesn't even have a house on it, but otherwise checks a few boxes. There will no doubt be something similar in the future with a nice house for a bit less.
https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Comme.../62343674.html
Old Jan 28th 2019, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We liked Salmon Arm when we were there in June. However I agree that it isn't where I'd move my teenagers to from the other side of the world. Prince George either. If it were me (and it's not) I'd be looking seriously at the Brockville option. It's not too far from Ottawa, Montreal is close enough, Toronto only a few hours drive. Salmon Arm or Prince George would be very isolating for a new-to-the-country teenager.
Agreed. Salmon Arm and Prince George would be dreadfully isolating and would likely compound culture shock. Remember, there is no population density to support passenger trains between communities, and major cities in western Canada are 8-12 hours of driving away, and this goes for both Salmon Arm and Prince George. It is a long, long way to get away for a change of pace. At least Vancouver and Victoria would ease the culture shock somewhat, and they're quiet-enough places for teenagers fresh from the UK. Most places in BC are reliant upon having a car for transportation. At least in Vancouver and Victoria, your teens can get around on public transit. If those cities aren't options, Ontario would be a good bet.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 28th 2019 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I never understood this reason for choosing somewhere to move in Canada. Toronto to London is approximately a 7-hour flight. Vancouver to London is approximately a 9-hour flight. Unless you are commuting between Canada and the UK multiple times a month, the two-hours worth of savings shouldn't be big part of the factor. It's a long flight regardless of where you end up. The lifestyle, amenities, culture, etc. on the ground in Canada would have more of a day-to-day impact on your life. Choose somewhere in Canada that aligns with your values, interests, hobbies, career, etc. first. The long flight will happen regardless of where you end up.
It does make a huge difference if you want to fly to somewhere other than London. A quick search on Expedia and other travel sites and I can't find a single direct flight from Vancouver to Manchester - which increases the journey time to 15 hours. Given that its usually my elderly parents that do the travelling from the UK to here - the difference between that and the 7 hour direct flight to Toronto is the difference between them being able to visit and not.
Edit: I may have just found an air transat one which takes 9 hours, but even then the extra 2 hours would add to the strain for elderly travellers.

Last edited by HGerchikov; Jan 28th 2019 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 11:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It does make a huge difference if you want to fly to somewhere other than London. A quick search on Expedia and other travel sites and I can't find a single direct flight from Vancouver to Manchester - which increases the journey time to 15 hours. Given that its usually my elderly parents that do the travelling from the UK to here - the difference between that and the 7 hour direct flight to Toronto is the difference between them being able to visit and not.
Edit: I may have just found an air transat one which takes 9 hours, but even then the extra 2 hours would add to the strain for elderly travellers.
A person I know in Vancouver travels to Europe two or three times a year (with a couple of small children in tow). I know she finds it a bother to have to change planes in both directions. It's not a critical consideration when the airport is a fifteen minute cab ride away but add in a long drive and the trip starts to look a bother. otoh, if you're in Ontario you have to deal with horror of the Toronto airport so it's not good either way.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:34 am
Just Joined

rowe556 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although we need to factor flights into the equation as our family’s and friends will want to come and stay, it’s however not a huge focus as long as we can get there.

So we’re still looking at BC areas (it’s an itch that won’t go away at the moment)

any my thoughts on Kamloops? (Direct flight to Calgary,with domestic flight to Kelowna)
Old Jan 29th 2019, 9:39 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Salmon Arm and Prince George would be dreadfully isolating and would likely compound culture shock....It is a long, long way to get away for a change of pace. At least Vancouver and Victoria would ease the culture shock somewhat, and they're quiet-enough places for teenagers fresh from the UK. .
Isn't it all relative to what you're used to and looking for? After 14 years in BC I moved back to the UK and now live in a small village in the Cotswolds and have less immediate access to amenities than anywhere I lived in Canada. Living near Kamloops provided all the shopping and recreational facilities I ever needed, whereas here I have at least a 40 minute round trip for anything. Salmon Arm and PG both provide enough amenities for daily living (though the aesthetics of PG never won me over), and if you want natural beauty and year round recreation galore, SA is an excellent location. It's also an easy drive to Vernon, Kelowna or Kamloops for alternative entertainment or shops. I grew up in North Yorkshire - as a teen, moving to Vancouver and Victoria would have been a far bigger culture shock.

I moved back to the UK due to ageing parents who need taking care of. The flight to Vancouver had become too much to cope with, but reducing the travel time wouldn't have made any difference - it's coping with luggage and logistics in the UK that's the problem, not 2 hours extra in a seat.

Originally Posted by rowe556
Although we need to factor flights into the equation as our family’s and friends will want to come and stay, it’s however not a huge focus as long as we can get there.

Don't factor in family and friends. It's your move and your lifestyle that you need to satisfy, not someone else's. Family and friends will visit wherever you are if they're motivated enough.

any my thoughts on Kamloops? (Direct flight to Calgary,with domestic flight to Kelowna)
Fly direct to Vancouver (Manchester or London), then a 45 min internal to Kamloops or a 4hr drive. That's quicker than messing about changing in Calgary or Kelowna and still having a 2.5hr drive.

I lived in/around Kamloops for 14 years. It's relatively inexpensive to the rest of BC to purchase property in, the weather is beautiful with hot dry (low humidity) summers and very benign winters. Canada's 2nd largest ski resort is 45 minutes away, there are 100's of local lakes for recreation, a growing university and plenty for growing kids to get involved in.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 10:24 am
Just Joined

rowe556 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H
Isn't it all relative to what you're used to and looking for? After 14 years in BC I moved back to the UK and now live in a small village in the Cotswolds and have less immediate access to amenities than anywhere I lived in Canada. Living near Kamloops provided all the shopping and recreational facilities I ever needed, whereas here I have at least a 40 minute round trip for anything. Salmon Arm and PG both provide enough amenities for daily living (though the aesthetics of PG never won me over), and if you want natural beauty and year round recreation galore, SA is an excellent location. It's also an easy drive to Vernon, Kelowna or Kamloops for alternative entertainment or shops. I grew up in North Yorkshire - as a teen, moving to Vancouver and Victoria would have been a far bigger culture shock.

I moved back to the UK due to ageing parents who need taking care of. The flight to Vancouver had become too much to cope with, but reducing the travel time wouldn't have made any difference - it's coping with luggage and logistics in the UK that's the problem, not 2 hours extra in a seat.

Don't factor in family and friends. It's your move and your lifestyle that you need to satisfy, not someone else's. Family and friends will visit wherever you are if they're motivated enough.

Fly direct to Vancouver (Manchester or London), then a 45 min internal to Kamloops or a 4hr drive. That's quicker than messing about changing in Calgary or Kelowna and still having a 2.5hr drive.

I lived in/around Kamloops for 14 years. It's relatively inexpensive to the rest of BC to purchase property in, the weather is beautiful with hot dry (low humidity) summers and very benign winters. Canada's 2nd largest ski resort is 45 minutes away, there are 100's of local lakes for recreation, a growing university and plenty for growing kids to get involved in.

this resonates with us as we also live in the part of the UK that large city/towns are an hours drive away!

We we are leaning to BC for the lifestyle that we want, both our boys are not city kids, although maybe this may change as they grow? But meanwhile I wanna enjoy the fact that they wanna spend some time with us!
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So we’re still looking at BC areas (it’s an itch that won’t go away at the moment)

You might want to look at the prices of internal flights.. they are not cheap. It's worth considering what your 'boys' will want to be doing in 4-6 years time and whether they will be able to find employment etc., will you be ok with them moving away or driving/travelling long distances as teenagers?

Do you have to be anywhere specific for that job offer/option you mentioned? A bonus if you don't - but I presume you will need to have an income of some sort?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 29th 2019 at 5:05 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 6:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Direct flight to Calgary,with domestic flight to Kelowna
Collect bags, clear customs at POE, check in for domestic flight. Domestic baggage allowance on domestic flights often less than international, unless booking straight through. Not something I would choose to do after a trans Atlantic flight. Cost is around $300 to $600 return, depending on availability. Quicker and cheaper to fly direct CYVR, connecting flight to YLW.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 7:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Collect bags, clear customs at POE, check in for domestic flight. Domestic baggage allowance on domestic flights often less than international, unless booking straight through. Not something I would choose to do after a trans Atlantic flight. Cost is around $300 to $600 return, depending on availability. Quicker and cheaper to fly direct CYVR, connecting flight to YLW.
Be aware that you can't take liquids in the cabin on domestic flights so, if you buy bottles at the duty free in the airport in England, you'll be obliged the contents at the hub airport.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

A plus to consider with teenagers is that both Kelowna and Kamloops have universities ............. it is possible to do 1 or 2 years at the "home" small university, then move to a big one, eg UBC, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto.

Kelowna has the University of British Columbia Okanagan campus

Kamloops has Thompson Rivers University

PG also has a well-established (25 years), well-regarded, university, University of Northern British Columbia, with some interesting differences in faulty and departments, and a focus on northern studies.

As a result, all these places have some more upscale advances such as decent coffee shops, fantastic restaurants, brew pubs, entertainment options, etc.

I was amazed at the changes in PG when we visited there just under 2 years ago vs our last stop there about 10 years previous to that.

Against this, I feel that I have to caution that both PG and Kamloops both still have at least one active pulp mill ....... the smell emitted by such mills has to be smelled to be believed. Kamloops has tried to solve the problem by building the largest chimney you might ever see to try to lift the emissions above the valley so they can disperse more easily. It is not always successful!

Last edited by scilly; Jan 29th 2019 at 8:35 pm. Reason: adding information
Old Jan 29th 2019, 11:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by scilly
A plus to consider with teenagers is that both Kelowna and Kamloops have universities .............
I don't see the logic here. Children grow up, they go away to university, that's the end of them. They go away because they choose the university they think best suited to them and because going away to university is part of growing up. It doesn't seem to me that physical proximity is much of a factor in choosing a university; no one gives up a place in a veterinary course at Guelph or the good school in Alberta because they live within a bus ride of, say, UBC's faculty of law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.