Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC or Ontario?

BC or Ontario?

Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC or Ontario?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Speaking as the owner/operator of an open station tractor in January, I suggest you consider a model with a cab.
Carhartt padded overalls and thermals are cheaper
Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

Carhartt padded overalls and thermals are cheaper
Today, dressed in LL Bean double lined jeans, a Carhartt jacket, lined wellies and appropriate underpinnings, I waked along through snow drifts leading a horse. I went back for another horse. "Embrace the season" I thought "it's a dry cold". And then I began to wonder if neither Brexit nor electing Trump really was the stupidest decision ever made by humans.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Today, dressed in LL Bean double lined jeans, a Carhartt jacket, lined wellies and appropriate underpinnings, I waked along through snow drifts leading a horse. I went back for another horse. "Embrace the season" I thought "it's a dry cold". And then I began to wonder if neither Brexit nor electing Trump really was the stupidest decision ever made by humans.
it was pretty today though - new snow and sunshine. Particularly lovely from my spot on the sofa with a nice beer.

To answer the OPs question I think I would go for Ontario based on the shorter flights back to the UK. Although proximity to airport offering said flights needs to be factored in too.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

it was pretty today though - new snow and sunshine. Particularly lovely from my spot on the sofa with a nice beer.

To answer the OPs question I think I would go for Ontario based on the shorter flights back to the UK. Although proximity to airport offering said flights needs to be factored in too.
Long while back but poster Tiaribbon (sp?) started out looking to move to BC and, instead, moved to the part of Ontario in question. Maybe dig up her posts?

Note that she bought a tractor with a cab, heat, and a stereo!
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowe556
I can pretty much take my job anywhere, so that’s not an issue, even though I’m sure the teenagers will huff about internet speed, but we’re used to that here as we have dire connection where we currently live!

Def need to factor in a tractor cost

Umm.. I'm confused! You said that the job was already sorted - and that there was now an opportunity to go to BC, so presumed it was a fixed position in a City - is this not the case?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 28th 2019 at 1:31 am.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Long while back but poster Tiaribbon (sp?) started out looking to move to BC and, instead, moved to the part of Ontario in question. Maybe dig up her posts?

Note that she bought a tractor with a cab, heat, and a stereo!

Ok.. found them Here's a few of their posts..

Why Canada ? for what reasons ?

Any one bought a farm?
About Salmon Arm: Salmon Arm
Move ro Canada, to be a farmer, good idea?
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Well done! A picture of her tractor would add a Phwoar! factor.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 2:11 am
Banned

Well done! A picture of her tractor would add a Phwoar! factor.

I tried, I really did.. no joy, sorry matey!
I found posts about it.. but no picture
Old Jan 28th 2019, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Salmon Arm is in a pretty enough area, we enjoy summer visits and obviously the lakes are a beautiful attraction. But I’m not sure it’s the kind of place I would willingly take teenagers to live. It’s far too sleepy to hold much excitement and they will be busting to get out of there quickly.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 6:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Salmon Arm is in a pretty enough area, we enjoy summer visits and obviously the lakes are a beautiful attraction. But I’m not sure it’s the kind of place I would willingly take teenagers to live. It’s far too sleepy to hold much excitement and they will be busting to get out of there quickly.
We liked Salmon Arm when we were there in June. However I agree that it isn't where I'd move my teenagers to from the other side of the world. Prince George either. If it were me (and it's not) I'd be looking seriously at the Brockville option. It's not too far from Ottawa, Montreal is close enough, Toronto only a few hours drive. Salmon Arm or Prince George would be very isolating for a new-to-the-country teenager.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by ann m
This would be a concern for me about Smith Falls and area. Each child needs a car so there's the cost of that to consider and there's a significant poor white trash population so the teenagers need to be meth and opiate aware. I'd be nervous about going to a place like that; all a bit too Winter's Bone.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as the owner/operator of an open station tractor in January, I suggest you consider a model with a cab.
I wish that we have paid for a cab when we first bought ours. After market one are not as good and far more expensive as you likely know.

To the OP, most purchase their tractors via financing as it is offered interest free (I accept the cost would have been built into the price) so the only thing you will have to worry about is whether, as a newcomer, you can qualify. However, as most tractors don't depreciate that much, you may find them willing to accept some form of financing if you can put 20% down.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

This would be a concern for me about Smith Falls and area. Each child needs a car so there's the cost of that to consider and there's a significant poor white trash population so the teenagers need to be meth and opiate aware. I'd be nervous about going to a place like that; all a bit too Winter's Bone.
Smith Falls and Perth seem to be night and day although not too far away. Perth has a lovely main street and in Smith Falls the needs of the drivers seems to trump those of pedestrians/cyclists.

You mentioned your LL Bean lined jeans. I've got a pair of those and they do a great job of keeping me reasonably warm when it is freezing out.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

rowe556 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all of your reply’s, and I think you’re right, Brockville area seems a better fit for the teenagers! Although BC still appeals, we currently live in a sleepy laid back village in the UK, but saying that, we’re still within an hour of the bustle. We need to make a final decision very soon and all of your reply’s have been very useful!

thanks all
Old Jan 28th 2019, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to BC in 2014 - we have a 13 year old (He was 8 when we moved here).
We live about 100km east of Vancouver in a little town called Mission and I work in the Greater Vancouver region. It takes me about 1 hour to get to the office (Not downtown Vancouver)
Mission is far enough out of Vancouver that property is much cheaper, it's close enough that you can go there without much hassle.

We were able to buy a very large house, with an acreage for a fraction of what a detached house in a development would have cost further West.
We are 30 mins from Sasquatch ski resort and have beautiful mountains as the view from our front door and forests from our back door.
We have about 10 lakes less than 30 mins from our house and reams and reams of trails, forests, lakes, rivers, waterfalls on our doorstep.

We even have a dragstrip - with discount/free access to Mission residents and my son has raced on the strip in a Junior dragster with his school drag racing club!
We get 150mb internet too - so no problems there lol.
We get snow in the winter and sun in the summer - being BC, the mossies aren't too much of a problem either.
I can't say enough positive about where I live

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.