Wikiposts

BC - New Combined Drivers Licence/Medical Services card

Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:35 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BC - New Combined Drivers Licence/Medical Services card

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wonder how it will work for those who don't have a license or BC ID?
Looks like you have to get what is essentially a BCID. So ID cards for everyone. Reminds me of something the British public got into a huge fuss about only a few years ago...

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page...ervices%20Card
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by BTJ
Looks like you have to get what is essentially a BCID. So ID cards for everyone. Reminds me of something the British public got into a huge fuss about only a few years ago...

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page...ervices%20Card
A huge fuss for sure but for no good reason?

If you've got nothing to hide what's the problem with an identity card that entitles you to drive and receive medical care?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

campingmanbc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james.mc
We've been here a couple of weeks now (Sooke, BC) and thought it about time to swap our UK licences our for the BC equivalent.

So, yesterday off we trotted to the ICBC service office in Sooke (at Coast Capital insurance services). We were armed with everything we thought we would need.

UK driving licences (obviously they wanted these!)
DVLA Driving History/Entitlement printout which we requsted from DVLA before we left for Canada. (They took the originals from us and gave us copies back)
Passports (Used them to confirm ID! - yes I know)
Confirmation of PR certs (Looked at at them and we think recorded the numbers into the system)
Social Insurance Numbers's (just in case we were asked - but we weren't)

In BC, they are in the process of combining the driving licence with the medical service card so we will receive, eventually, the new combined type of card. This will happen to al BC residents over the next 5 years on licence renewal anyway. You can can your BC licence to any ICBC licence centre and do this sooner if you wish. Not sure why anyone would want to though??

There is a small drawback to processing this as a new immigrant though. Our PR cards are not likely to turn up for another 4-6 weeks. PR Cards are deemed by ICBC as a primary means of ID for such an application.

It seems that, when processing a new application for a combined driving licence/MSP card, our UK passports are not accepted as a Primary form of ID here in Canada, nor are our COPR's. (Just bear with me as that is what the system with newly updated guidelines told the woman processing our application).

Based on the above, and the new guidelines she had to work under, she was able to processing our application with limits, she took our UK licences from us (just the plastic cards - she didn't ask for the paper counterparts and we didn't offer them) and issued us with temporary BC driving licences on yellow sheets of paper.
They do have a BC drivers number on them.
They are valid for 2 months.

We were advised that we are now in the ICBC system and once we have our PR cards to bring them into the ICBC office and they will issue our BC licences initially valid for 2 years. After 2 years, on renewal, they will be valid for 5 years.

During the process we also had our photos taken on site and performed an eyesight/peripheral vision test using a little gadget they also had at the desk.

So, we have handed over our UK licences, now have temporary BC driving licences (me for Car and Motorbike, my OH for Car).

In addition last week we learned that all new immigrants registering for BC MSP have to download the relevant application form, fill it out, sign and post to the MSP processing centre near you. As new immigrants you cannot apply online. Once you are in the system you can carry out changes online for personal information changes.

We were advised by our local ICBC office (by way of a follow up) and call up our local Health inquiry number ( Toll-free: 1 800 663-7100 ) and mention that we have applied for new driving licences plus applied by post for MSP, and make sure they can find us on the system so that they can start to marry the two up. We'll be calling them today on that score.
First time posting here so bare with me. My parents just became Permanent Residents last week. They were about to go and apply for their BCDL when I read your post and glad we did. Are you suggesting that when you apply for a BCDL, you have to surrender your UK DL? They have to return to the UK again in July to sell their house and ship their belongings. This will be a problem if their UK license is taken away. Sounds like they should hold off on this until they move here permanently.

As an aside, my parents have a truck & fifth wheel here that they've owned for 2 years in BC. They have managed to insure it and even get their safe driving discount transferred - ALL without having a BCDL!!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:37 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by campingmanbc
First time posting here so bare with me. My parents just became Permanent Residents last week. They were about to go and apply for their BCDL when I read your post and glad we did. Are you suggesting that when you apply for a BCDL, you have to surrender your UK DL? They have to return to the UK again in July to sell their house and ship their belongings. This will be a problem if their UK license is taken away. Sounds like they should hold off on this until they move here permanently.

As an aside, my parents have a truck & fifth wheel here that they've owned for 2 years in BC. They have managed to insure it and even get their safe driving discount transferred - ALL without having a BCDL!!
Regardless of whether ICBC take away a UK licence or not, you can only have one valid DL at a time for the place you live, therefore are they residents of BC or GB? Once that's decided it's pretty simple.

There is NO issue for driving a car in the UK on a BC licence, provided you are a bona fide BC resident.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:25 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I wonder how it will work for those who don't have a license or BC ID?
I have the answer to that.
Just received in the post my new BC British Columbia Services (aka MSP) card.

When we applied for the card we had to supply photos and signed the application form. No surprises there.

The card is:
Plastic credit card size
Full name
Photo of me on it (with my signature underneath)
DOB
Issue date
Expiry date (note: the expiry date is on my DOB in 2015)
My Address

On the back is a Personal Health number and a bar code.
Also in block letters: THIS IS NOT A DRIVER'S LICENCE

At the time of application I was issued with temporary BC driving licence by ICBC and handed my UK licence over to them.
The BC Services card I have just received has no direct connection to my BC driving licence so, if you don't have a driving licence the BC services card would still be issued as above with 'THIS IS NOT A DRIVER'S LICENCE' on the back.

Bearing in mind other comments above it looks just like a photo ID by the way. I have no issue carrying a photo ID. PR card aside, if get stopped for any reason i can easily prove who I am. Suits me!

Originally Posted by campingmanbc

Yes, you have to surrender your UK driving licence. No problem there as you are immediately issued with a temporary 2 month BC paper licence. My wife recently flew back to the UK and rented a hire car (in the UK) on the temporary BC driving licence.

Also (many people may not know this)
If you are in the UK, and hire a car during working hours, you can give your UK driver number to the hire company and for a fee they will call DVLA and confirm your driving entitlement and allow you to take the car.
Don't try this out of normal office hours as DVLA will not respond to that type of inquiry. As far as I am aware in the UK you are not required to have a licence on your person by law, but you must be able to prove your entitlement by way of producing non UK licence or proving your UK entitlement to drive. DVLA records can do that.
However, if your UK licence has been handed over in Canada, and has been sent to DVLA (not too sure how quickly this filters through), DVLA will make a note on your driver record that an exchange has been made and may not allow you to drive on your UK entitlement. Just a thought.

In addition, on the matter of BC driving licence exchange (for those that may be heading to BC), before you leave the UK apply to DVLA for a copy of your DVLA driving entitlement/history and bring it with you. As far as I recall it's free.
Our local ICBC office wanted that, and took the original for their files. It was proof of driving history in their eyes. It's also handy for your own personal records. ICBC did not ask for the DVLA licence paper counterparts (no surprise there because, as far as I know, the UK is the only place that seems to issue such a pathetic paper document) so I did not offer it to them. All ICBC wanted was the plastic card UK driving licence. I kept the DVLA paper counterpart.

Recently I received my PR card.
We landed 26 Feb 2013. PR card arrived in the post 10 April 2013 (so in BC issued in just over 6 weeks from arrival)
On exchange of driving licences I was advised that ICBC would not issue a full credit card sized licence to me until I produce my PR card. I asked, what if i do not get my PR card before the 2 month expires on the temporary licence? They said no problem, they would issue an extension.
FYI The temporary licence is a yellow printed document with you new BC driver number, driving entitlement and other personal details on it like… address, DOB etc.

The final stage in the Driver Licence/MSP Card process:
So, I now have a PR Card, BC Services Card, paper BC Temporary Drivers Licence.
Today, I am heading to ICBC to apply to have the Services Card combined with my drivers licence and see if they will issue a full credit card style combined licence/MSP card and I can then do away with the MSP card and the temporary paper BC driving licence. I'll only need to carry my PR card and combined Drivers licence/MSP card then. Happy days
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=james.mc;10662587]I have the answer to that.
Just received in the post my new BC British Columbia Services (aka MSP) card.

When we applied for the card we had to supply photos and signed the application form. No surprises there.

The card is:
Plastic credit card size
Full name
Photo of me on it (with my signature underneath)
DOB
Issue date
Expiry date (note: the expiry date is on my DOB in 2015)
My Address

On the back is a Personal Health number and a bar code.
Also in block letters: THIS IS NOT A DRIVER'S LICENCE

At the time of application I was issued with temporary BC driving licence by ICBC and handed my UK licence over to them.
The BC Services card I have just received has no direct connection to my BC driving licence so, if you don't have a driving licence the BC services card would still be issued as above with 'THIS IS NOT A DRIVER'S LICENCE' on the back.

Bearing in mind other comments above it looks just like a photo ID by the way. I have no issue carrying a photo ID. PR card aside, if get stopped for any reason i can easily prove who I am. Suits me!

Yes, you have to surrender your UK driving licence. No problem there as you are immediately issued with a temporary 2 month BC paper licence. My wife recently flew back to the UK and rented a hire car (in the UK) on the temporary BC driving licence.

Also (many people may not know this)
If you are in the UK, and hire a car during working hours, you can give your UK driver number to the hire company and for a fee they will call DVLA and confirm your driving entitlement and allow you to take the car.
Don't try this out of normal office hours as DVLA will not respond to that type of inquiry. As far as I am aware in the UK you are not required to have a licence on your person by law, but you must be able to prove your entitlement by way of producing non UK licence or proving your UK entitlement to drive. DVLA records can do that.
However, if your UK licence has been handed over in Canada, and has been sent to DVLA (not too sure how quickly this filters through), DVLA will make a note on your driver record that an exchange has been made and may not allow you to drive on your UK entitlement. Just a thought.

In addition, on the matter of BC driving licence exchange (for those that may be heading to BC), before you leave the UK apply to DVLA for a copy of your DVLA driving entitlement/history and bring it with you. As far as I recall it's free.
Our local ICBC office wanted that, and took the original for their files. It was proof of driving history in their eyes. It's also handy for your own personal records. ICBC did not ask for the DVLA licence paper counterparts (no surprise there because, as far as I know, the UK is the only place that seems to issue such a pathetic paper document) so I did not offer it to them. All ICBC wanted was the plastic card UK driving licence. I kept the DVLA paper counterpart.

Recently I received my PR card.
We landed 26 Feb 2013. PR card arrived in the post 10 April 2013 (so in BC issued in just over 6 weeks from arrival)
On exchange of driving licences I was advised that ICBC would not issue a full credit card sized licence to me until I produce my PR card. I asked, what if i do not get my PR card before the 2 month expires on the temporary licence? They said no problem, they would issue an extension.
FYI The temporary licence is a yellow printed document with you new BC driver number, driving entitlement and other personal details on it like… address, DOB etc.

The final stage in the Driver Licence/MSP Card process:
So, I now have a PR Card, BC Services Card, paper BC Temporary Drivers Licence.
Today, I am heading to ICBC to apply to have the Services Card combined with my drivers licence and see if they will issue a full credit card style combined licence/MSP card and I can then do away with the MSP card and the temporary paper BC driving licence. I'll only need to carry my PR card and combined Drivers licence/MSP card then. Happy days [/QUOTE]

Hi
You actually don't have to carry your PR Card around with you. As long as you have your valid driving licence with you when driving that's all you need. We actually went for the separate drivers licence and medical cards as each are now considered valid ID in BC, so we leave the medical cards in the safe with everything else.

Hope G is enjoying the North Sea! (I think?)
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:22 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Hi
You actually don't have to carry your PR Card around with you. As long as you have your valid driving licence with you when driving that's all you need. We actually went for the separate drivers licence and medical cards as each are now considered valid ID in BC, so we leave the medical cards in the safe with everything else.

Hope G is enjoying the North Sea! (I think?)
Thank you for your input kind sir. Points noted. Might follow suit.

Actually, after visiting the ICBC office today they had to consult their oracle by phone. Whomever their oracle is promptly advised that if I wanted a combined card I would need to cough up with another $17+ bucks! The general consensus in the Sooke office was leave it until renewal in 2 years time. Then renew as a combined card. I'm not sure we'll have a choice by then anyway.

So, after my visit today to the ICBC office, and on production of my new PR card, they lifted the block on issuing my drivers licence card. It should arrive in the post in a few days(ish/possibly/maybe)

Dead right.. G is now bobbing around on the North Sea. It's a nice boat by all accounts. I may be heading off to Indonesia in May... or the North Sea - depends where they send me!