Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Medical Services Plan.

BC Medical Services Plan.

Old Jul 24th 2016, 6:31 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Medical Services Plan.

Originally Posted by Davita
I believe that is what my friends are saying. Does anyone have any references so I can read-up about that?

A 'chocolate fireguard'...that's funny...I'm melting with mirth...

Re: Stinky post # 8
'Out of interest, do they take into account your worldwide income rather than Canadian Income when determining if you need to pay MSP premiums?'

A few years ago I sold our holiday house in Scottsdale, AZ. I paid taxes on that capital gain (CGT) to the IRS then filed an adjusted T1 to Revenue Canada and paid tax to them, less what I'd paid in the States. That put my income higher that year and I had to repay MSP premiums as well as GST rebates I'd received.

Revenue Canada requires filing world-wide income. I include my UK Old Age Pension (OAP) so I reckon that must be income that is assessed for MSP.
Thanks re the tax stuff,I was just wondering!

Re your other query
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/hea...guidelines.pdf
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/hea...ms/2814fil.pdf

Both seem relevant. It looks like they prefer approval before the event. Obviously as you say, the procedure was available in Canada. You could presumably claim that this was an urgent course of treatment which needed doing asap with a worse prognosis if you had to wait to get back to Canada.

As an aside, I'm not convinced about Bristol's comment about them accepting the 10 months as a one off, house sitting is a choice made by yourselves, you weren't forced to do it. They seem fairly explicit in their 7 month rules.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Re: post # 16

Thank you very much for the link Stinkypup...it not only confirms what my friends told me but is also useful info for those too old to get reasonable medical insurance and wanting to travel.
I would think that any claim I make would be rejected as I was NOT in an emergency. I elected to have immediate surgery in Bali because I thought I'd need to wait in Vancouver for at least the 90 days to qualify and then be on a waiting list...but I wasn't in any immediate danger as the tumor must have taken years to grow.
I used to have annual medical check-ups in Vancouver but cannot recall my doctor ever suggesting a colonoscopy...I now implore all my friends and members here, over 50, to have it done.

I agree that my MSP card must have slipped thru' the cracks, to be still valid, as I had declared I was 'out of country' for more than 6 months.

As we plan to reside in Bali I will declare ourselves non-resident Canada as I cannot, and did not, benefit from the health-care system anyway.
This will ensure later, when I liquidate some investments into cash, I won't need to file for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) in Canada. Thus...I'll save some of the funds I've paid to have my hospital treatment in Bali...
Old Jul 25th 2016, 2:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
As we plan to reside in Bali I will declare ourselves non-resident Canada as I cannot, and did not, benefit from the health-care system anyway.
This will ensure later, when I liquidate some investments into cash, I won't need to file for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) in Canada. Thus...I'll save some of the funds I've paid to have my hospital treatment in Bali...
Would not count the extra cash just yet. You may want to speak to an accountant, One does not 'declare' oneself 'non-resident', as far as CRA are concerned anyway. Residential ties, such as owning an apartment in Canada, having bank accounts and investments, perhaps a drivers license, you may still be deemed a resident for tax purposes. Determining your residency status

Also, if considered a non resident, when you leave there is deemed disposition, for those leaving the country, http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/l.../menu-eng.html
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Aviator which I already comprehended as I've taken professional advice. I just used the word 'declare' to keep my post simple...in fact filling form NR73 is a declaration. I should have done that some time ago but using UFILE for tax was easier and I thought it would keep my MSP open.

I have nothing in Canada except my passport, HSBC global account and my drivers licence which I'm advised will be cancelled when I turn 80 next year, unless I get a doctor's assessment. I haven't driven a car since around 5-6 years ago.

btw your link for deemed disposition are for those that have died...I hope you aren't a clairvoyant...
The proper link for deemed disposition for leaving Canada is...Leaving Canada (emigrants)
Old Jul 25th 2016, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
for interest to some
there is an ability to take a two year 'holiday' from msp providing you hadn't been absent in the last five years.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/managing-your-msp-account/leaving-bc-temporarily

jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Jul 25th 2016 at 10:31 pm.