Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Earthquakes

BC Earthquakes

Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:56 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default BC Earthquakes

A new comer I met yesterday had no idea that BC was an earthquake zone (http://www.pgc.nrcan.gc.ca/seismo/recent/bc.50evt.html) - and was seriously unsettled about the fact that we are expecting "the big one".

I must admit before I came out here I was bothered by the earthquakes, but since I've been here there have been about 500 a year and I've never felt one

Mind you if we get another 9 pointer like this one (http://www.pgc.nrcan.gc.ca/seismo/hist/anniv.press.htm) I am not so sure I'd be as blaise about it!

Clare
Old Jun 27th 2004, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

That is quite scary isn't it? I wonder if the tremors would travel as far as the Okanagan?!!!!!

JJ
Old Jun 27th 2004, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Bryan Kellar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BC Earthquakes

Originally posted by ClareBC
A new comer I met yesterday had no idea that BC was an earthquake zone
I had read somewhere that quakes the magnitude of the January 1700 quake happens about once every 500 years, so I suppose I can fool myself into thinking it won't happen during my lifetime.

But actually, the Pacific Rim as a whole is particularly susceptable to earthquakes. On the other hand, I think that you could have a disaster -- a hurricane, earthquake, tornado, flooding, and so forth -- in a lot of places in the world. If it's not one thing, it's another.

As for the Okanogan, while a costal event would not likely do damage there, the area has had earthquakes in the past. Indirectly, a lot of costal people would likeli be needing to relocate after the fact -- howdy neighbour!

Bryan
Old Jun 28th 2004, 1:37 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by joggerjo
Hi

That is quite scary isn't it? I wonder if the tremors would travel as far as the Okanagan?!!!!!

JJ

Actually there was a goodish tremor felt in Penticton last summer

But, more likely to feel something closer to the coast or Vancouver island.

Clare
Old Jun 28th 2004, 2:09 am
Glaswegian

At least the danger of earthquakes might take your mind off the fact that BC has most of the north american grizzly bear population

Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Glaswegian
At least the danger of earthquakes might take your mind off the fact that BC has most of the north american grizzly bear population
......not forgetting the rattle snakes, killer spiders etc etc!!!!!!

JJ
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ClareBC
Actually there was a goodish tremor felt in Penticton last summer

But, more likely to feel something closer to the coast or Vancouver island.

Clare
..gosh, really.....I never felt it!!!!!

JJ
Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:45 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joggerjo
..gosh, really.....I never felt it!!!!!

JJ
Funny, the missus always says that she never fels the earth move either!!!
Old Jun 28th 2004, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Bryan Kellar is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny we should be talking about this right now. According to the CBC News, there was a 6.7 earthquake last night in the Queen Charlotte Islands on the northern BC coast. Not a heavily populated area at all, but not happy for the people who live there!

It would have been a big deal that we all would be talking about this morning if it had happened in, say, Vancouver or something.

Bryan
Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:27 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by Bryan Kellar
Funny we should be talking about this right now. According to the CBC News, there was a 6.7 earthquake last night in the Queen Charlotte Islands on the northern BC coast. Not a heavily populated area at all, but not happy for the people who live there!

It would have been a big deal that we all would be talking about this morning if it had happened in, say, Vancouver or something.

Bryan
Hi Bryan...

I actually spent a year working in Portland in 1994/1995 and I remember everyone talking about 'the big one' back then, horror stories were abundant about Salem flooding because of the potential breach of the Detroit dam about 50 miles outside Salem...

I'm still waiting to hear that its hit...

I'm not holding my breath....
Old Jun 28th 2004, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

SunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really niceSunnySussex is just really nice

We looked it up and it seems that all along the coast where Vancouver is, is prone to Quakes, so if the big one does happen then it looks like this area is going to be affected in some way.

Does anyone know if the Houses and other buildings are built to withstand quakes.

I also saw that they are teaching about what to do in the schools.

It's a worrying prospect and another thing to think about before we make the move.

How do you live with it, or do you not think about it ?.

SS
Old Jun 28th 2004, 10:39 pm
Loving it here!

Originally posted by SunnySussex
We looked it up and it seems that all along the coast where Vancouver is, is prone to Quakes, so if the big one does happen then it looks like this area is going to be affected in some way.

Does anyone know if the Houses and other buildings are built to withstand quakes.

I also saw that they are teaching about what to do in the schools.

It's a worrying prospect and another thing to think about before we make the move.

How do you live with it, or do you not think about it ?.

SS

A lot of the schools have (or will be undergoing) seismic upgrades so that they can withstand a biggish earthquake. Even at kindergarten my child has had two earthquake drills (which he thought was great fun!) Also in the local schools here - all the children have been provided with a bag of stuff from the parents (ie a bar, some candy, a letter from the parents saying we will get there ASAP, a cuddly toy) which will be given to them in the event of something happening.

A lot of the homes here are wooden (they just sway apparently) and yes indeed - the condos are built to withstand quakes (and do things like not have the glass fall down to the roads etc)

In a big quake we'll be toast, but in the little ones we should be fine. I have not been on an Earthquake preparedness course, but I have my candles, matches, bottles of water etc stashed around the house. Some people make sure they never have less than ½ tank of gas in their car (just in case).

It is something to be aware of - but don't loose sleep over it (Mind you, I wouldn't move to Richmond, that area will be badly hit in a quake... Apparently in a bad shake the land will liquidfy )

Oh, and the emergency procedures info sheets here at work advise what to do in the event of Fire and Earthquakes, in Britain it used to be in the event of Fire and Bomb Threats.....

Clare
Old Jun 28th 2004, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough

I am so paranoid now guys!!! I live on the 23rd floor of a waterfront apartment in Yaletown.

I guess there is no telling what and when, but i am a born worrier anyway.

PMA - thats what we all need!!!!
Forum Regular

Default Guys - youve scared me!

I am so paranoid now guys!!! I live on the 23rd floor of a waterfront apartment in Yaletown.

Forum Regular

Default Guys - youve scared me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.