Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC - Dental and Prescription (plans/coverage)?

BC - Dental and Prescription (plans/coverage)?

Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

HerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond reputeHerMadge has a reputation beyond repute
Default BC - Dental and Prescription (plans/coverage)?

Hi

Can anyone clarify the best way to go about paying for dental and orthodontic services in BC?
MSP does not cover dental/orthodontic/prescription costs and individual insurance plans don't appear to offer any advantage over just paying the costs outright.
We have two children, and my husband is asthmatic so needs his ventolin/inhalers. We are in our early 40's.

If anyone has experience going through these two health-care hurdles, can you let me know what is the best option to cover these?
(trying not to eye-roll at the comments on TV everyone assuming Canadian's have free healthcare)

Thanks!
HM
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC - Dental and Prescription (plans/coverage)?

Originally Posted by HerMadge
Hi

Can anyone clarify the best way to go about paying for dental and orthodontic services in BC?
MSP does not cover dental/orthodontic/prescription costs and individual insurance plans don't appear to offer any advantage over just paying the costs outright.
We have two children, and my husband is asthmatic so needs his ventolin/inhalers. We are in our early 40's.

If anyone has experience going through these two health-care hurdles, can you let me know what is the best option to cover these?
(trying not to eye-roll at the comments on TV everyone assuming Canadian's have free healthcare)

Thanks!
HM
I had no insurance plan during the children's orthodontic years. The only trick I found is that there was a tax deduction (I assume there still is) for people spending more than a threshold percentage of income on healthcare. I could make the threshold by having the orthodontist bill for in December for the next year's braces, as well as for the work performed in December. It didn't make much as a fraction of the cost but when you're spending the price of a car even a small fraction is serious money.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you applied for fair pharmacare? (even if your enrolled in MSP, enrollment in Fair Pharma isn't automatic.)

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...harmacare-plan

https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/pharmac...ator-2019.html

The deductible is income based so the amount you pay out of pocket will depend on your income. Doesn't cover dental though.

If you can't find a suitable extended health plan and your employer doesn't offer one, you will have to self pay or do what other Canadians who who can't afford dental, skip it or only go when in pain and its an emergency.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 7th 2019 at 6:07 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Pacific Blue Cross offer Extended Health and Dental Plans

Sunlife Insurance also offer those plans ...................... we had these plans through OH's employer, when we paid part of the premiums. We transferred completely to Sunlife after he retired, and we pay the full premiums.

Such insurance does not pay the whole cost of any dental treatment, but varying percentages ...... I think it is around 60% for our 6 monthly checkups and cleans.

Just google the companies.

As dbh said, you can claim all medical expenses ......... medical, prescriptions, dental, glasses, prosthetics, etc ............ not covered by MSP or an Extended Plan on your income tax return.

It is usually recommended that the lower income earner makes the claim (so long as they are paying some tax!)

Pharmacare depends on your income level, and decreases as your income increases.

Google BC Pharamcare
Old Oct 7th 2019, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

To add to my post .................... OH had massive dental treatment some years ago, after retirement. It included dental implants, crowns, multiple fillings etc etc.

The Sunlife Plan covered a lot of it, the rest we had to pay out of pocket ............... and that included using a Line of Credit form the bank

There are not many options for you than the ones mentioned. It's up to you what you chose to do.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I am retired an i use GMS for extended health, i have their Omni plan with Dental and prescription drug addons. Just pay $4 dispensing fee for all prescriptions, Dental you get $1000 of treatment per policy year covered 50% for major and orthodontic and 80% for basic. policy also covers vision, one eye exam every two years and i think its $250 every two years towards glasses. Its not cheap but i have had no complaints with their service. You can get a quote on website https://www.gms.ca/
Old Oct 7th 2019, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Pacific Blue Cross offer Extended Health and Dental Plans

Sunlife Insurance also offer those plans ...................... we had these plans through OH's employer, when we paid part of the premiums. We transferred completely to Sunlife after he retired, and we pay the full premiums.

Such insurance does not pay the whole cost of any dental treatment, but varying percentages ...... I think it is around 60% for our 6 monthly checkups and cleans.

Just google the companies.

As dbh said, you can claim all medical expenses ......... medical, prescriptions, dental, glasses, prosthetics, etc ............ not covered by MSP or an Extended Plan on your income tax return.

It is usually recommended that the lower income earner makes the claim (so long as they are paying some tax!)

Pharmacare depends on your income level, and decreases as your income increases.

Google BC Pharamcare
Or click the links I provided above which directly takes one to the relevant information.