Reload this Page >

BC car insurance, ICBC no claims letter

BC car insurance, ICBC no claims letter

Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:28 pm
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough
Default Re: BC car insurance, ICBC no claims letter

Originally Posted by james.mc
I don't think the printout has car registration. I'll check mine as I think I have scanned copy on my PC.

I'm in Norway right now and can't find the file on my laptop Don't recall seeing any vehicle information on the printout. You should have both requested DVLA history anyway as it's well worth taking to Canada with you.
Thanks for looking, yep driving history from DVLA is on the list of things to get before we go
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:31 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

jobop

This link may help you locate previous vehicle registration information.

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:33 pm
PR living in Vancouver

Quick question - what do they even use your DVLA driving history for? How does it actually benefit us to have it?

We are going to get it just in case, but wondered what its use is as I have not seen anywhere that its the norm that you should take this with you?

james.mc - I read one of your previous posts that said when you swapped your driving licence they asked to take a copy of it? Why?
Did they ask for it or did you offer it up? And did they explain its use?

Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:35 pm
PR living in Vancouver

jobop

This link may help you locate previous vehicle registration information.

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla
Thanks will take a look / maybe give them a call and see how they can help as well
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:42 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobop
Quick question - what do they even use your DVLA driving history for? How does it actually benefit us to have it?

We are going to get it just in case, but wondered what its use is as I have not seen anywhere that its the norm that you should take this with you?

james.mc - I read one of your previous posts that said when you swapped your driving licence they asked to take a copy of it? Why?
Did they ask for it or did you offer it up? And did they explain its use?

Thanks
In BC they asked for it without us offering, so they knew about it. I guess they take it as proof of driving history and driving entitlement. It might show any traffic offences still on file. I think it also shows when driving tests were passed etc.

The ICBC Office kept the original printouts (mine & OH) and gave us copies to take away with us.

We offered our plastic driving licences which they took, but they did not ask for the paper counterparts so we didn't offer them.
They took pictures of us using a unit they have at the office, so not need to take photos.
They would not release our full (photo ID plastic) BC licences until we returned with our PR cards. There was a delay with one of our PR cards (CIC rejected one lot of photos) so our local ICBC office re-issued the temporary licence. The temporary licences are yellow bits of paper.

Last edited by james.mc; Jul 29th 2013 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:47 pm
PR living in Vancouver

In BC they asked for it without us offering, so they knew about it. I guess they take it as proof of driving history and driving entitlement. It might show any traffic offences still on file. I think it also shows when driving tests were passed etc.

The ICBC Office kept the original printouts (mine & OH) and gave us copies to take away with us.

We offered our plastic driving licences which they took, but they did not ask for the paper counterparts so we didn't offer them.
They took pictures of us using a unit they have at the office, so not need to take photos.
They would not release our full (photo ID plastic) BC licences until we returned with our PR cards. There was a delay with one of our PR cards (CIC rejected one lot of photos) so our local ICBC office re-issued the temporary licence. The temporary licences are yellow bits of paper.
Thanks for the info, its on the list of things to get so we will have it, I was just curious
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:55 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by jobop
I was just curious
I was also, some time back, so it's nice to be able to feed some of what I (and many before me) have discovered back to those that are following. It takes some of the guesswork out and lets you concentrate on other issues.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't need a driving history, but I suppose other provinces may need it.

If you continued your insurance cover with the same insurer for your new car then it may show up on the insurance records you request from the motor insurers bureau.

I couldn't remember all the car registrations, so I did a trace backward.

Ruby
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:42 am
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by RubyRose
I didn't need a driving history, but I suppose other provinces may need it.

If you continued your insurance cover with the same insurer for your new car then it may show up on the insurance records you request from the motor insurers bureau.

I couldn't remember all the car registrations, so I did a trace backward.

Ruby
I guess it may also depend on what information staff, in different ICBC appointed agent offices, see as required. There is a level of human decision making in the process.

I read stories about some offices requiring, and asking for, both parts of a UK licence and others not.

A little off topic I guess...
As far as I am aware in Europe, the UK is the only country I am aware of that has moved to plastic driving licences plus has a paper counterpart. Pretty archaic if you ask me. All the others I'm aware of run with a plastic card only. I never could figure out why the UK went that route ( a two part licence) all on their own... it makes no sense to me.

That might explain when hiring a car overseas, or swapping your licence, they only ever want to see just the plastic card as they do not expect a paper counterpart.