Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC car insurance, ICBC no claims letter

BC car insurance, ICBC no claims letter

Old Jul 14th 2013, 5:40 pm
PR living in Vancouver

jobop will become famous soon enoughjobop will become famous soon enough
Default BC car insurance, ICBC no claims letter

I'm moving to Vancouver this September and currently sorting out writing letters to my previous insurance companies to obtain the ICBC correct format letter to hopefully receive a discount for car insurance.

My main question is has anyone got there current insurer to write them a letter in the correct format whilst still being insured with them or do you have to wait until you cancel the policy first in order to obtain the letter from them?

I am with Direct Line and my last full year of being insured ended with them July 7th, but we will be insured with them right up until we leave in September (we need it to drive to the airport) and then my Mum and Dad will sell the car once we have left.

Has anyone got a letter whilst still being insured, the ICBC letter states you need to say the start and end of the policy so I am guessing not?
And also how did you find Direct Line, did you have to keep reminding them to send you the correct letter format or did they just do it, and how long did it take them to get it to you?

I did read on the ICBC website that you get 6 months from being insured to obtain your letter and to send it on to see if you get a discount, so even if we do not get it until after we have left we can get it sent to the mum and dads address in the UK to hopefully make things quicker and then they can scan it and email it over, I presume that this would be ok or are they funny about copies or do they require the original?

Link ref if anyone else needs it...
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving/...ewres-discount

Many thanks

Last edited by jobop; Jul 14th 2013 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 5:54 pm
PR living in Vancouver

Default Re: BC car insurance, ICBC no claims letter

Just to add I presume you have to be the policy holder and can not be a named driver in order to obtain the discount letter?

I'll have to go back over all the companies we have been insured with as we did have two cars where we each had a policy, with one of us being the main driver for car no.1 and the other the main driver for car no.2. But on the run up to getting ready for Canada to save money we have had just the one car with my boyfriend being the main insurer and me the named driving, so I am guessing it will just be him eligible for the discount letter for that car and not me the named driver?

Lots to sort out for this
Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:53 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about direct line but my Insurer Admiral wont provide the letter until my policy is cancelled.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:17 pm
PR living in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Not sure about direct line but my Insurer Admiral wont provide the letter until my policy is cancelled.
Thanks for your reply, thinking Direct Line will be the same.

We used to be with Admiral before Direct Line, so will send them a letter first and hope they send us what we need
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:18 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Best response I got was Zenith they got the letter right first time
Old Jul 28th 2013, 1:57 pm
PR living in Vancouver

I have just sent a letter off to Admiral insurance, lets hope they manage to send a letter back in the correct format? I'll keep you all posted.

And then I have one more letter to send off to Direct Line but I wont send this until we cancel our insurance with them next month

Annoying thing is its the boyfriend who will have all the no claims bonus letters (all the above are his), it looks like I will have none as have not had a policy in my name in the UK since 2009, and I guess that is too long a gap for the ICBC to give me a discount if I got proof from back then?

So the Boyfriend will be the main driver in order to hopefully get the discounts and I will be the named driver - is that how it works, same as in the UK?

I am guessing that if we eventually need 2 cars and I wanted to insure it in my own right ICBC would sting me for a large cost as I've never had my own car insurance before in BC, and would have no letters to show no claims in the UK? Or do they look on your differently if you have been a named driver on a BC policy or does that not make a difference?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link as to what ICBC requires in a letter from previous insurers
http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving-...scount-for-new
Old Jul 28th 2013, 2:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jobop
So the Boyfriend will be the main driver in order to hopefully get the discounts and I will be the named driver - is that how it works, same as in the UK?

I am guessing that if we eventually need 2 cars and I wanted to insure it in my own right ICBC would sting me for a large cost as I've never had my own car insurance before in BC, and would have no letters to show no claims in the UK? Or do they look on your differently if you have been a named driver on a BC policy or does that not make a difference?
ICBC policies don't work like that. You can't restrict your policy to named drivers. You can choose to only permit drivers of 10yrs experience or greater, but that's as limiting as you can make the policy in order to keep the premium as low as possible.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It will only work if he actually drives 51% of the time or more. If you are really the main driver and you put him down to get a discount ICBC would likely refuse to pay out in the event of a claim (and they have done so).

Your insurance history from 2009 will be of no use to you here.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:58 pm
PR living in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Aviator
It will only work if he actually drives 51% of the time or more. If you are really the main driver and you put him down to get a discount ICBC would likely refuse to pay out in the event of a claim (and they have done so).

Your insurance history from 2009 will be of no use to you here.
He will be the main driver of the vehicle, to be honest we will probably mostly use public transport for a commute to work if needed. Skytrain, bus or walk dependant on where we end up working in Vancouver.

The car is pretty much for things like bulk food shopping trips, day/weekend trips exploring different places with the dog, So yes the boyfriend is to be the main driver.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Annoying thing is its the boyfriend who will have all the no claims bonus letters (all the above are his), it looks like I will have none as have not had a policy in my name in the UK since 2009, and I guess that is too long a gap for the ICBC to give me a discount if I got proof from back then?
Contrary to belief, you will be able to get insurance with ICBC, as they don't care when last you held an insurance policy as long as you can prove that you held car insurance that they deem acceptable. The last time I held a car insurance policy in the UK was September 2009, however I was able to prove 10 years plus of car insurance in a format acceptable to ICBC and was granted the full 43% this January. I bought my first ever car in BC in January 2013.

If I were you I would chase up my previous car insurance policies. If you need any help finding all your insurers you may contact the Motor Insurers Bureau and they will have details of all your insurers, the only snag is that you need to remember your previous car registration details.

Ruby
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:35 pm
PR living in Vancouver

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Contrary to belief, you will be able to get insurance with ICBC, as they don't care when last you held an insurance policy as long as you can prove that you held car insurance that they deem acceptable. The last time I held a car insurance policy in the UK was September 2009, however I was able to prove 10 years plus of car insurance in a format acceptable to ICBC and was granted the full 43% this January. I bought my first ever car in BC in January 2013.

If I were you I would chase up my previous car insurance policies. If you need any help finding all your insurers you may contact the Motor Insurers Bureau and they will have details of all your insurers, the only snag is that you need to remember your previous car registration details.

Ruby
Good to know, I shall send off letters for me also and hopefully I will get the right format back
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, I shall send off letters for me also and hopefully I will get the right format back
If you need any help, let me know. PM me if you like.

Ruby.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:59 pm
PR living in Vancouver

Does anyone know if I were to get driving history records from DVLA does it show the regs of your previous cars?

We cant for the life of us remember one of our car regs and who we were insured with, we have the first part but not the second half of it.
I guess failing the driving history we can phone up the garage where it was brought and perhaps they keep a record of sales from years ago?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:13 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if I were to get driving history records from DVLA does it show the regs of your previous cars?

We cant for the life of us remember one of our car regs and who we were insured with, we have the first part but not the second half of it.
I guess failing the driving history we can phone up the garage where it was brought and perhaps they keep a record of sales from years ago?
I don't think the printout has car registration. I'll check mine as I think I have scanned copy on my PC.

I'm in Norway right now and can't find the file on my laptop Don't recall seeing any vehicle information on the printout. You should have both requested DVLA history anyway as it's well worth taking to Canada with you.

Last edited by james.mc; Jul 29th 2013 at 2:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.