British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   BBC & ITV not working behind VPN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/bbc-itv-not-working-behind-vpn-899428/)

mumof2 Jul 11th 2017 11:43 am

BBC & ITV not working behind VPN

So, last night the worse news in all the 10 years i have been in Canada - the BBC iplayer, ITV & Channel 4 will NOT work behind the vpn :(

Anyone found any solutions to this ?

Collie Jul 11th 2017 12:34 pm

Re: BBC & ITV not working behind VPN

Just try again (and hope that the vpn provider has changed the UK ip addresses to something which the TV networks haven't yet spotted)... or move to a different vpn. Ours works fine (Witopia) so it's not a generic issue.

mumof2 Jul 11th 2017 12:51 pm

Excellent i was thinking that maybe the issue this morning, will try again this evening

suzeandmatt Jul 12th 2017 12:28 am

We're with ExpressVPN and have no issues currently with BBC. I don't watch itv though so can't comment on that. They have 24/7 online support too and whenever we have had an issue within minutes they've come up with a solution.

quiltman Jul 12th 2017 1:34 am

Try TVCatchup - Channels works here with or without a VPN . Alternatively try HOXX proxy VPN - only works in your browser but is fine here for iplayer.

GC44 Jul 16th 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt (Post 12292207)
We're with ExpressVPN and have no issues currently with BBC. I don't watch itv though so can't comment on that. They have 24/7 online support too and whenever we have had an issue within minutes they've come up with a solution.

Been with express vpn for a year now. Have found it to be extremely reliable. We get BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and US Netflix. Not sure if its a vpn issue or something I'm doing wrong but we do struggle to stream Channel 5.

suzeandmatt Jul 16th 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by GC44 (Post 12295615)
Been with express vpn for a year now. Have found it to be extremely reliable. We get BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and US Netflix. Not sure if its a vpn issue or something I'm doing wrong but we do struggle to stream Channel 5.

To be honest, we only use it for Netflix in other countries, BBC and channel 4- we never watched itv or channel 5 so never actually tried it for those channels. Haha
There's been several times we've had to speak to one of their online chat people who've helped sorted an issue straight away. We find them helpful & reliable too.

MMcD Jul 16th 2017 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12292230)
Try [url=http://www.tvcatchup.com] Alternatively try HOXX proxy VPN - only works in your browser but is fine here for iplayer.

Just downloaded HOXX in order to access iPlayer in States.
Using Firefox/Mac

Now - for the life of me....simply cannot find how to activate it in order to sign in or register.
I see it's icon (grey and black thingys) on Menu bar (think its meant to be blue???).
Any ideas?

Thanks!

ps: finally got it working...BRILLIANT! Many thanks for suggestion, quiltman

quiltman Jul 17th 2017 2:05 am

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12295828)
Using Firefox/Mac

Now - for the life of me....simply cannot find how to activate it in order to sign in or register.
I see it's icon (grey and black thingys) on Menu bar (think its meant to be blue???).
Any ideas?

Thanks!

ps: finally got it working...BRILLIANT! Many thanks for suggestion, quiltman

Good. for those still stuck, click on the grey HOXX symbol , wait till the drop down populates then select the country you want. Simple when you know how!

BristolUK Jul 17th 2017 11:54 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12295933)
Good. for those still stuck, click on the grey HOXX symbol , wait till the drop down populates then select the country you want. Simple when you know how!

:thumbup:
Yes, that threw me initially. Then a google search on being unable to register brought up a video that showed the cursor movements and Robert's your dad's brother. ;)

Partially discharged Jul 17th 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12295828)
Using Firefox/Mac

You might want to read this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vpnreviews/...browser_addon/

It sounds like a dodgy VPN to me or are they all like this.

MMcD Jul 17th 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12296209)
You might want to read this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vpnreviews/...browser_addon/

Yeah...while I was still struggling to figure out how to activate the thing I did stumble across that....but then thought well...Reddit itself can be iffy...never know who has what vested interest...plus by then I'd become so obsessed over getting the damned thing to work - I threw caution to the winds once I finally got it going ....determined as I was to test it on iPlayer.

Will investigate further...meanwhile....Only turning it on when going to the beeb. But yeah...your warning is apt. :thumbup:
Thanks

Partially discharged Jul 17th 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12296310)
Yeah...while I was still struggling to figure out how to activate the thing I did stumble across that....but then thought well...Reddit itself can be iffy...never know who has what vested interest...plus by then I'd become so obsessed over getting the damned thing to work - I threw caution to the winds once I finally got it going ....determined as I was to test it on iPlayer.

Will investigate further...meanwhile....Only turning it on when going to the beeb. But yeah...your warning is apt. :thumbup:
Thanks

I use this on my PC on Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...cnjljhlcahgdjn

I got it before they started charging. It works fine here.

BristolUK Jul 17th 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12296209)

I don't bother trying VPNs anymore - but I did try this one as it sounded like it worked. It works. It's a Firefox and Chrome add on and I can't imagine they'd be happy if it was especially dodgy.

It doesn't sound any more intrusive than Google and a ton of others to be honest.

MMcD Jul 17th 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12296362)
I did try this one as it sounded like it worked. It works.

Except suddenly, today....***it doesn't***!

This stupid VPN will not even let me log on...using exact same email and password (password character by character checked and re-checked, email the one I registered with...both of which I'd used several times yesterday once I'd finally got it going.)

Enough!

My advice....a pox on HOXX...give it a wide berth:thumbdown: