Wikiposts

BBC iPlayer

Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:23 am
Banned

JohnmissingTV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC iPlayer

After reading the rules I'm unable to post in the classified section, 'member services' until I've made 50 posts or been a member for 3 months. So for now I will have to say that if anyone is interested then feel free to contact me. :-)
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnmissingTV
After reading the rules I'm unable to post in the classified section, 'member services' until I've made 50 posts or been a member for 3 months. So for now I will have to say that if anyone is interested then feel free to contact me. :-)
Just a heads up...you cannot use the forums to advertise your goods or services.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnmissingTV
The above has now been banned. Thought it may save some the time and trouble of reporting him.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

S_elliott52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not just Apple I believe, but several other gizmos too.

How about ITV? Might it be ad related?

Just thinking that to get ITV and 4OD on my laptop (courtesy of free MediaHint) I need to disable adblocker - which is no big deal.

If it is just 4OD and not ITV that is a bit weird, but might suggest they find some way to block these things.

No ITV player and the channel 5 catch service are fine, it's just seems to be 4OD
Old Aug 1st 2014, 3:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S_elliott52
No ITV player and the channel 5 catch service are fine, it's just seems to be 4OD
So another example of what works for some doesn't work for everyone.
MediaHint gives me ITV and 4OD no problem, but BBC live keeps stopping for 5 secs every 30, while the catch up works fine.

Others get BBC no problem and some not at all.

ExpatShield works for some but doesn't do a thing for others.

Stealthy did bugger all for me but was okay with others.

Subscription services - everyone has their favourites but every one mentioned has been problematic for another at another time.

And now there's a new(ish) gadget specifically designed for this purpose and one of the three UK channels you'd most want, you can't get.

A previous poster had either the Apple thing or one of the others and 4OD didn't appear to be a problem for him. But maybe something else was.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 3:31 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

So another example of what works for some doesn't work for everyone.
MediaHint gives me ITV and 4OD no problem, but BBC live keeps stopping for 5 secs every 30, while the catch up works fine.

Others get BBC no problem and some not at all.

ExpatShield works for some but doesn't do a thing for others.

Stealthy did bugger all for me but was okay with others.

Subscription services - everyone has their favourites but every one mentioned has been problematic for another at another time.

And now there's a new(ish) gadget specifically designed for this purpose and one of the three UK channels you'd most want, you can't get.

A previous poster had either the Apple thing or one of the others and 4OD didn't appear to be a problem for him. But maybe something else was.
Pretty much this. Small changes with technologies, internet connections, internet speeds, compatibility, operating systems, etc... it all factors in, so it's a question of working out what works best.

I use MediaHint at work as it's the only service that my work computer doesn't freak out over. Works fine as I like listening to episodes of shows I've already seen sometimes, so US Netflix is often on in the background. Works well for me.

I used Hola at home for awhile on my Android devices, which mostly worked but was a bit cumbersome. My work computer freaked out over Hola.

Stealthy didn't work at all for me.

We used ExpatShield for awhile at home, but I think it's not a paid service... or at least stopped working for us as a free service. The connection was also not quite good enough for iPlayer - lots of skipping. Worked fine to download episodes from iPlayer, though, so we often did that instead. Still, cumbersome.

Then we tried the 7-day free trial of UnoTelly, and that worked brilliantly, so we decided the $40 was worth it for a service that worked reliably. We use it mainly for US Netflix and iPlayer, so I can't comment on how wel it works with 4OD, but UnoTelly does have 4OD listed in their list of compatible channels.

So lots of options, just a question of finding the one that works best for you.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Not just Apple I believe, but several other gizmos too.

How about ITV? Might it be ad related?

Just thinking that to get ITV and 4OD on my laptop (courtesy of free MediaHint) I need to disable adblocker - which is no big deal.

If it is just 4OD and not ITV that is a bit weird, but might suggest they find some way to block these things.
For ITV try STV. Channel 4 seems to be working fine right now.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Pretty much this. Small changes with technologies, internet connections, internet speeds, compatibility, operating systems, etc... it all factors in, so it's a question of working out what works best.

I use MediaHint at work as it's the only service that my work computer doesn't freak out over. Works fine as I like listening to episodes of shows I've already seen sometimes, so US Netflix is often on in the background. Works well for me.

I used Hola at home for awhile on my Android devices, which mostly worked but was a bit cumbersome. My work computer freaked out over Hola.

Stealthy didn't work at all for me.

We used ExpatShield for awhile at home, but I think it's not a paid service... or at least stopped working for us as a free service. The connection was also not quite good enough for iPlayer - lots of skipping. Worked fine to download episodes from iPlayer, though, so we often did that instead. Still, cumbersome.

Then we tried the 7-day free trial of UnoTelly, and that worked brilliantly, so we decided the $40 was worth it for a service that worked reliably. We use it mainly for US Netflix and iPlayer, so I can't comment on how wel it works with 4OD, but UnoTelly does have 4OD listed in their list of compatible channels.

I think you need Adobe Flash Player to play channel 4/4od on the iPad and, as you know, it's not installable on Apple hardware.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
For ITV try STV. Channel 4 seems to be working fine right now.
ITV works well enough for me It was the other fella I was asking.

But it's a good point and takes me back to the 70s when I used to be able to get HTV Wales as well as the Bristol one.

I used to watch UFO and then watch the last half hour again on HTV Wales.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:48 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by S_elliott52
Oh and you can get a connector from apple so that you can watch the catch up service on your TV, but 4OD won't let you do that for some reason.
The following mightbe the answer.

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I think you need Adobe Flash Player to play channel 4/4od on the iPad and, as you know, it's not installable on Apple hardware.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

S_elliott52 is an unknown quantity at this point

The following mightbe the answer.
I've got 4OD app (so yes it is available) installed on my iPad, I can watch it fine on my iPad but when I plug my iPad into the TV, I get a message on screen from channel 4 saying 4OD is not designed to be watched that way.
All the other catch up app work just fine being played through my TV, it's just OD. I don't get any pausing, freezing or buffering using privateinternetaccess.com
Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

To date whilst i can stream stuff on i player most days there are times when it stops and starts so i dream of the old days when i could download stuff and watch later yet since the new i player i have never ever successfully been able to download a thing, it just doesn't work. I was using media hint now using Hola and even after removing and re installing it fails to download. Freaking annoying
Old Aug 1st 2014, 11:26 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by printer
To date whilst i can stream stuff on i player most days there are times when it stops and starts so i dream of the old days when i could download stuff and watch later yet since the new i player i have never ever successfully been able to download a thing, it just doesn't work. I was using media hint now using Hola and even after removing and re installing it fails to download. Freaking annoying
I understand there are those, like Bats, who need the captions but for all those who have difficulty downloading for later from BBC, ITV and 4OD there are plenty of good, safe and reliable streaming sites with very good quality stuff and very quickly available. Saving for later is easy and quick with a good down load manager.

I'm watching Channel Four's excellent Utopia, broadcast in the UK at 10.00 pm on Tuesday nights. I haven't noticed what time it becomes available but there are half a dozen working links ready to download by 10.00pm my time - 4 hours behind. So it's there within 3 hours of the broadcast.

So that's all of Canada who could watch at the "same time" as the UK or even earlier. No fees, no sign-up, no VPN, nothing necessary other than decent computer/internet speed.

And, of course, if it's foreign and broadcast on BBC/C4 with subtitles, that's what you get anyway.

Roll on the next series of Spiral/Engrenages.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 11:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
And the associated expense of potential trial and error.

Monthly fees aren't much, of course. (Makes one wonder why BBC and the rest just don't do it themselves)

These gizmos - Apple TV, Android and others that connect to TVs for example.

We have three perfectly good TVs. None are HD (one has a feature to select the aspect ratio thingy - so you don't have to "lose" the sides of the picture) and none have the necessary connectability for gadgets. Not even HDMI cable - although that can be routed via a DVD player - and how old fashioned does that seem?

So any sort of media streaming gizmo would need at least one new TV. The $$ all mount up and based on experiences, there's no guarantee of getting all you want.

There are five of us in the house - 3 generations - with widely varying tastes and I'm the only Brit.

We now have minimum TV package (having halved it), Netflix via the PS3 and all the good streaming sites.

My only small complaint is I occasionally discover a foreign movie that appeals and the only streams I find have no subtitles.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

dlparry is an unknown quantity at this point

i watch uk tv on filmon website, some programmes you cannot watch but its free and worth checking out, also you can record programmes and watch them later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.