Reload this Page >

BBC article on UK immigration

BBC article on UK immigration

Old Dec 14th 2006, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BBC article on UK immigration

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Applogies for using the word 'horrible'. Out of place and off the cuff. But I listened to him numerous times over the years. If I would alter my stance it would be to say - 'to the point', which, in a more open minded wooly type of person that I hope I am, comes across as aggressively anti anything not white or British. But as I have mentioned before it is very difficult to have a disscussion about the pros and cons of mass migration when the first thing considered is colour, then religion and perhaps ethnic origins. The last thing anyone can discuss without a massive 'crawling down ones throat' is the concept that mass movement too quick too soon can often be detrimental not only to the people that are existing residents but also the wellbeing of the 'newbies'.

There are many sides to this and all the time and economy can keep expanding to accommdate, the down sides are burried. When economies slow as surely each one does the real affects become very much evident. There are two views in Europe. One which seeks instant profit the other which seeks long term balance. Open door versus closed door. Each has its merrits but anything closed door becomes linked with some type of Fascism that escapes me. Perhaps it requires a downturn in the economy in the UK and the scenario that is unfolding in France for those Politicians to realise that a quick fix and an open door is not always the answer to seeking cheap labour. France is suffering from decades of such an open door policy. Fewer jobs. Slower economy and not sufficient integration along the way. Anyone comfotable with 100 cars and now buses being torched every day in the UK?

During the 60's the large influx of immigrants to the UK were mainly concentrated within what one would have called the colonies. Their head of state was the Queen and they had some affinity. There was a push me pull me affect as relates to the changes in the immigration laws which I recall, (I am sure to be put wrong) was a spure to this wave. Plus of course there was a big need for someone who would drive buses, run the underground and clean - all on a very cheap basis. Hence the call to come and live in the UK.

The recent influx / wave into the UK has less of an association with anything that is culturally or socially similar. Unless of course one really believes that all of those entering now have only done so in order that they can swear allegiance to the Queen. Not likely. They have become an important source of cheap labour as if you look back in history cheap labour has helpled empires prosper beyond their capabilities they would not had without it. But cheap labour does have its downsides which those that run businesses could not care about. Any negative affects not considered locally or nationally. There is a short term spur for even those who are already residents to have a slightly higher standard of living as the 'countries' income and activity is heightened. But in a slowdown the negatives are 2 fold. Not only do the immigrants tend to be thrown on the scrap heap first and they do kick and scream at this point, but the locals also see loss of standards as the country has many more people to support than it did previous. Basic economics. Not something even considered at this stage in the UK's cycle. We could be talking 10 years or 20. There will be a slowdown at some point.

The whole issue of immigration is one of a mix of social tension, moral correctness and more to the point 'will it affect me'.

But there is a consensus across the board that mass movement of people is a good thing if it is done in a controlled manner which will have benefits on both sides. I have my doubts about this recent wave into the UK. Not because I looked from the outside in but rather it was the other way round.

I recall a well known reporter returning to the UK about 2 years ago and being interviewed. He stated that he had never seen a Black man in the UK and associated this with some form of major alteration in the UK's make-up. I, and being the same age, had associated and had friends who were Asian, Black, Chinese (no middle eastern as I recall) but all because I lived in a poorer area. I was regularly ashamed of my fellow White British school friends who were rascist to the point at which one person was literally kicked to death outside of the school. This was the early 70's. All because he was asian. It has not altered one bit at the grass roots. The New Labour lot admit that this issue has increased rather than abated. And just waht affect will an open door have on the UK personality once the economy goes south?

So - who benefits. The country that the new person has entered and is working for peanuts or the kids going to school who are hated because of their colour or language who then congregate and eventually settle into their own areas. And why should they not. Ghettos do not have to look like Harlem to be Ghettos.

Is it good it see the coffers of the shareholders grow and who see their wealth increase on the back of a thriving economy. Yes. I suppose so. But if I was to divide all of the people I know who could benefit from shares it would be about 1 in 10. Hardly a basis for social equality.
A well-thought-out and thought-provoking post.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how to split quotes, so excuse me if this gets messy.
You highlight the piece of text you want to quote and click on the speech-bubble shaped icon top right of where you're writing.

but military might by itself is no guarantee of peace.
NATO is about partnership and collective defence. It's not its military might that kept the peace. Also, the US presence in Germany has an enormous bearing on peace in Europe. If the US pulls out of Germany I would wager that nation will seek nuclear weapons within a generation.

The UK, and I imagine the other members, joined the community following a referendum.
No referendum was given to the British when the UK joined the "EEC" in 1973. Heath just did it. There was a "post-legislative" referendum in 1975 which asked: "Do you think the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (Common Market)?" Note that to leave would be a change in direction, whereas if they had given the people a proper referendum, to *join* would have been a change in direction. A massive difference and clearly one that swung the voters into line.

Power is indeed increasingly concentrated in Brussels. There can only be two possible reasons for this. Either Belgium has an enormous stockpile of WMDs and is holding the rest of Europe to ransom, or Brussels is just a city where EU governments meet to talk and make joint decisions.
The EU is another layer of government, and with every one of those you and I get further away from those that make the laws.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tableland
No referendum was given to the British when the UK joined the "EEC" in 1973. Heath just did it.
Quite so. There was a considerable momentum AGAINST joining at the time, spearheaded by Enoch and others. Any referendum would have been very close, indeed most observers of the day felt that the 'antis' would have won narrowly. This cavalier approach to joining the 'Common Market' (i.e. just do it, regardless of what the punters think), together with his weak-kneed caving-in to the unions, was a major factor in Ted Teeth's election loss in 1974.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

jamestocanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I just want to leave. As soon as Romania gets EU membership its all going to go down hill. Anyone see that article on Borats village? It was really filmed in romania and as soon as they become EU citizens they are coming over. Time for a better life I think!

Anyone agree?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamestocanada
I just want to leave. As soon as Romania gets EU membership its all going to go down hill. Anyone see that article on Borats village? It was really filmed in romania and as soon as they become EU citizens they are coming over. Time for a better life I think!

Anyone agree?
Let's celebrate this enlightened attitude by playing a game of Throw The Bigot Down The Well while we all quaff our fermented horse urine (called "Labatt's" in Canada).
K.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:46 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Romania holds a special place in my heart. I lost my virginity there in 1981.

I have made many trips to central Europe, mostly in the 1990s (Hungary, Romania, Czech and Slovak Republics, bits of the former USSR, Poland). I always found the people to be decent, friendly and welcoming.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I always found the people to be decent, friendly and welcoming.
Unlike many people on this forum.

K.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 12:13 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamestocanada

Anyone agree?
Well, I guess a fair few Romanians will agree.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 12:44 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
Let's celebrate this enlightened attitude by playing a game of Throw The Bigot Down The Well while we all quaff our fermented horse urine (called "Labatt's" in Canada).
K.
PMSL...
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:18 pm
dont be afraid to reply

cov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Didn't Enoch Powell tell us that there would be ghettos and rivers of blood some decades ago? He was wrong then. Why is it different now?

enoch powell dont even go there

the man was an out an out racist
Old Dec 16th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

here is the rivers of blood text

Those intent on finding a racist will have no problem doing so.

Others, who are more dispassionate and objective, will read this material and see things from a different perspective.

http://theoccidentalquarterly.com/vo...ep-rivers.html