Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BBC article on UK immigration

BBC article on UK immigration

Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:57 pm
Who? Me?

Tam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really nice
Default BBC article on UK immigration

Thought this might be interesting to some of you...... It seems that up to 2000 brits are bailing out every week !!!!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC article on UK immigration

Originally Posted by Tam Kilmarnock
Thought this might be interesting to some of you...... It seems that up to 2000 brits are bailing out every week !!!!
You need to post a link. I read this yesterday and it's quite interesting. Other "official" statistics have put the number at 1000 a day though, so I don't think they know the actual figure.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 2:02 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Glasgow Herald is running a similar article though their is a feeling that expat Scots continue to help their homeland from afar:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/76526.html
Old Dec 12th 2006, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

2000 a week sounds pretty low to me; that's only 100,000 a year. Most of my friends have either emigrated or are aiming to do so soon.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

And still more people come in than leave as the population continues to go up.

Whos figures are they anyway, or did the BBC comission them?
Old Dec 12th 2006, 3:12 pm
Who? Me?

Tam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really niceTam Kilmarnock is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tam Kilmarnock
oooops sorry, here is the link....http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6210358.stm?ls
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

And if you look at the demographics of who is jumping ship it is mainly young people, and "40% professional/managerial" according to that study - exactly the people an aging, regressive population can't afford to lose. Doesn't really bode well for the long-term UK economy or society.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Escapea
And if you look at the demographics of who is jumping ship it is mainly young people, and "40% professional/managerial" according to that study - exactly the people an aging, regressive population can't afford to lose. Doesn't really bode well for the long-term UK economy or society.
100,000 a year that’s nothing…...
Is that Uk Citizens leaving the UK or students or people on work visas leaving the UK? these reports are often misleading like with everything in the UK media…….. God all they do is complain arrr but in a way its refreshing compared to Canadian media where is everything hunky dorey and US related
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
100,000 a year that’s nothing…...
Is that Uk Citizens leaving the UK or students or people on work visas leaving the UK? these reports are often misleading like with everything in the UK media…….. God all they do is complain arrr but in a way its refreshing compared to Canadian media where is everything hunky dorey and US related
Thats people leaving permanently I believe..so work permits / students would not be counted.

10% of brits living outside the motherland is quite surprising to me. I wonder what percentage of Poles have left Poland now
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats people leaving permanently I believe..so work permits / students would not be counted.

10% of brits living outside the motherland is quite surprising to me. I wonder what percentage of Poles have left Poland now
lol
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to allMrs Madmac is a name known to all

In one of my previous work incarnations I worked in "Strategy" for a local government organisation.

I looked at Demography with the view to being able to predict who our "community" were, age, sex, location etc. so that local services could be planned accordingly.

For Scotland population was falling and there was going to be a major problem. Too many older people and not enough younger people to support them (no surprise there I hear you cry, after all Central UK government knows this and that is why they are chopping away at the State Pension).

These scary figures were already out there........ before immigration became such a hot topic. Also many of the immigrants to the UK are not "permanent", many come to work and send money back to their families........... and us all jumping ship only adds to it. (I did not factor in immigration in my calculations because there was no source data........ or should I say I could not get access to the source data!)

I also noted a recent TV programme here talking about the "baby boomer's" and how there will be the same problem...... too many older people and not enough young ones!

SO..... cryogenics seems to be the only option left! Time to start queuing for the deep freeze!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
And still more people come in than leave as the population continues to go up.

Whos figures are they anyway, or did the BBC comission them?
This latest load of figures is courtesy of the Institute for Public Policy. However, this amounts to only 100,000 a year, and has been pointed out above in this thread this seems very low.

Other figures released a few weeks ago told us that 1500 immigrants entered Britain every day, with a net gain to the British population of 500 a day. It isn't nuclear physics to work out that this means 1000 are leaving every day. This also ties in with other statistics released at a similar time that stated that 350,000 were leaving every year.

The worst part is that this 1000 leaving daily are mainly skilled workers ranging from plumbers to lecturers to accountants, but what are the 1500 who are entering daily? I would hazard a guess that they were not all skilled workers.

This is bad news for Britain because all the Western economies are getting an aged population and a decreasing tax base. Out of all the Western democracies, only Australia has so far managed to reverse the birth-rate decline across the whole population, and it did this by paying people to have babies - something which the governments of Britain and others should pay attention to. Instead of making life as hard as possible for people in the UK, Whitehall really has to start thinking strategically about this, and long-term, because if it doesn't the only way to stop everything going down the pan will be to ban people from emigrating.

And that doesn't at all sound like something the EU would come up with.....
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Snoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant futureSnoopstah has a brilliant future

I looked at this yesterday, and was interested to see there were nearly as many Britons in Canada as the US. And of course, with the vastly differing population, the percentage worked out at something like (from memory) 0.2% of the US population are British, whereas 1.8% of the Canadian population are British!

It's as bad as Florida over there
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snoopstah
I looked at this yesterday, and was interested to see there were nearly as many Britons in Canada as the US. And of course, with the vastly differing population, the percentage worked out at something like (from memory) 0.2% of the US population are British, whereas 1.8% of the Canadian population are British!

I thought there would be more Brits in Canada actually. I was quite surprised because Canada is geographically and demographically bigger than Australia yet had only 600,000 Brits to Australia's 1.3 million.

Not that this is a bad thing.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Snoopstah

Probably a higher proportion of born and bred canuks in Florida...its the 11th province dontchknow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.