Barrie Info

Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barrie Info

Hi all,

New to this board and i'm looking for those of you that know Barrie, Ontario well. We are coming to Barrie this Friday for a Recce and I'd be interested in a locals point of view on the city and the area as a place to live.

Chris
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Barrie Info

Live in Wasaga Beach about 35 kms away, did originally consider Barrie but seemed a little to built up for us. I do know a very good realtor in Barrie i could put you in touch with.

Do you have kids? What are you looking for house, condo, acreage? Let me know where to start and i might be able to give you some info.

Chris

Last edited by cneldred; Feb 4th 2008 at 4:34 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

We have two teenage kids (one of each and both sporty) and we have been looking at some of the new housing developments in South Barrie. To begin with we are looking at this as a second home until at least the kids have finished their schooling, then we'll see what happens. We will probably spend a couple of months a year out in Canada at Summer and Christmas. We like the idea that Barrie is not too far from Toronto airport and has plenty of things to do year round.

Any input would be great.

Chris.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

When we originally looked at Barrie we were going to rent for a while until we were certain about a particular area. Finding 3 and 4 bedroom houses to rent was a nightmare, there was just nothing available. Now with the GO link opening i believe that is even more the case now. So if it is to rent out you would certainly make your money.

I will be honest i wasn't at all keen on the south end of Barrie, we did find some areas we really liked, to the North and North East, places like Midhurst, Shanty Bay and Oro. We also very nearly brought a house near Barrie, but the owner took it off the market. It has recently come back on the market and details can be seen here:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=6296142

(crikey big old link)

Prices in Barrie have risen dramatically for years, and the city is growing rapidly. But plenty to do, loads of activities for kids and teenagers, plenty of shopping and very good transportation links.

The realtor we were using there had teenage kids and said there was only one school in the city he had concerns about, i can't remember which it was but it certainly wasn't in the areas we were keen on. If you want the guys contact details let me know.

Where are you staying when you come over? We stayed at the Holiday Inn just off Essa, was pretty central and gave us a good feel for the town.

Chris

Last edited by cneldred; Feb 4th 2008 at 5:35 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:24 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

You should be looking at Collingwood, about 40 minutes from Barrie, if you say your kids are into sports.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, nice house. A bit over our budget though!

We have been looking at properties from Baywood Homes, Pratt Homes and Zancor Homes. Reasonable 4 Bed places are about $280k, which is great value compared to England but they are artists impressions so i'm a bit wary.
Interesting you're point about 'rentability'. We're hoping not to go down that route but good to know if we need to.

Would you reccommend a Realtor when buying new properties? They seem quite expensive and surely buying a brand new place is fairly straight forward!

We've booked in to the Dasy Inn Hotel on Essa which has good reviews. Having stayed in Hotels in Canada and lots in England (mainly London) the Canadian ones seem bigger and better.

Must admit I'm not sure what to make of the temperatures, its been so mild here this winter that its bound to be a shock to the system next week.

Chris.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Firstly, temperature been up and down like no-ones business last Wednesday with wind chill was about minus 30, thursday was plus 8 then friday we had a big snow storm. www.theweathernetwork.com is pretty accurate with their 14 day weather forecast.

Most new developments will not let a realtor come with you. That was the problem we had, we fell for Wasaga Beach big time and wanted ours to come with us and look the development over, they wouldn't allow him. However, he did his own research and when we met him he gave us the endorsement that his missus would consider buying there if they were to relocate.

This is where we are having our house built,

http://www.democrathomes.com/wasaga%...sagamain2.html

there are also 2 other families from British Expats living there. Prices range from CAD$280,000 up. But a look on MLS will show you that property prices are more attrative here than Barrie. We choose Wasaga as the beach is great for the summer, but winter there are all the outdoor activities eg yesterday i went snowmobiling. And then Collingwood is 15 km's the further West. Rentals here are lumpy in the summer CAD$2,000 per week for a 4 bedroom furnished and in winter about that per month, as they still have the skiing rentals for Collingwood. It is also a very small town feel to the place, everyone really friendly, we have been here 3 months and been made welcome by everyone. Something we were worried about in Barrie. There are some on British Expats who will knock Wasaga Beach, but those same people have nothing decent to say about Barrie or even Canada as a whole. They know who they are!!

Anything else i can help you with let me know.

Chris

PS what flight are you arriving on Friday, my dad is flying into Toronto that day with my sister and brother-in-law, Air Canada AC 869 from Heathrow landing about lunchtime?? Spooky if you are on the same flight.

PPS can i recommend you have a look at my website, will let our understand some of our reasons for going against Barrie and gives you an idea of what you could expect in the area. The website is in my signature.

Last edited by cneldred; Feb 4th 2008 at 7:11 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Chris,

I've actually seen your web site before, really interesting. Houses by Democrat look nice, but might be getting above our budget. If we can I think we'll take a ride out to Wasaga for a look round, we're coming open minded so I'm sure its worth a visit. One of the main reasons for looking at Barrie was because its less than an hour from Toronto Airport. How long does it take to Wasaga Beach?

We're not on the same flight as your family. We're flying on Air Transat through Canadian Affair from Gatwick. We flew to Vancouver with them in the Summer and they were okay and fairly reasonable. This time its costing us £300 each return, but I'd be interested to know what your family are paying with Air Canada.

Chris.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:54 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Is the GO Train from Barrie running???
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris, we actually flew Canadian Affair when we landed we had a major delay (13hrs) however we would fly with them again the value for money of upgrading to premium is well worth it. Instant check in, extra luggage allowance, legroom and general comfort made it such an easy journey. We paid about 900 GBP for 2 adults and 2 kids, one way in premium. We lot are paying 1,100 GBP for 3 adults return with Air Canada, think they paid a little over the odds to allocate seats already.

Barrie to Toronto Airport is about 1 hr in good traffic along the 400 highways. I could drive to Barrie and then go that route and it would take about 1 hr 20 minutes, however there is another way for me coming out of the airport if i take highway 7 north, later becomes county road 18 (also known as Airport Road) this road takes me straight to Wasaga Beach and it is a much more enjoyable drive, much better scenery for the guests to look at and it takes about 1 hr 15 mins.

The houses by Democrat may be beyond your budget but for you this is a second house, this is going to be our main residence so we pushed the boat out. But i would recommend you have a look on MLS, as property in Wasaga is definately cheaper than Barrie and the plans to redevelope the area are huge, it is clear to see that more money is coming into the town.

Yes the GO train is running, 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening last i heard and they were more than happy with the interest.

All the best and have a safe journey

Chris
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Canada Bound is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris,

Just thought I would add our knowledge and recent experiences of the new property market in Barrie, we have been researching the developers you mention as we are looking at the investment market in Barrie (we are one of the other Brit families living in Wasaga) and whilst very settled here for the same reasons Chris has previously mentioned, feel Barrie would be a better option for a 2nd property in the rental market.

We have spent the last few weekends combing the area and have visited the builders you mention and feel they really offer value for money, so I would encourage you to take a visit, particularly Baywood (fantastic model home!)as they are in a good spot, close to the GO station as opposed to Pratt who are out on a limb. We have also been looking into resales again in the South end and personally cannot fault the area, as a safe place in which to raise a family and with enough year round facilites for 2 teenagers!

Part of our research has always included close access to schools and whilst I am unsure of the public school board (check out Simcoe County Public School Board) I know the catholic school board has half a dozen elementary schools along with 2 high schools alone, so I am sure you would be OK on the school front.

As Chris said the weather has been very fickle of late and not what one would imagine of Canada in February, infact today has traditionally been a snow day for our teenage son and he was gutted that it was business as usual today (he started in grade 9 in Feb 06) and his first day at school was a snow day and then last year again it was the start of a new semester first Mon in Feb and hey a snow day, so you can imagine with rain in the forecast he was not a happy bunny this morning!!! At least though we don't look to be expecting any -20 somethings, so you should touch lucky!

Have great fun exploring the area and enjoy your stay!
Helen
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:22 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

What are the better areas around Barrie? Is Oro a better place to live than Essa or Springwater Township?

Thanks
Danny
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input guys, its really useful.

I'm talking to a lawyer (Stewart, Esten) and a Realtor (Brit Expat Ian Hocking) Does anyone know of either.

Its getting closer now and its becoming more of a reality. I go through phases of 'this is such a fantastic idea' to 'what are we doing' but I suppose everyone goes through that. I'd hate to go through life regretting what I didn't do.

Keep the info coming,
Chris
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Danny, Oro is pretty remote, much like Shanty Bay, get David Weeks to take you out that way. Midhurst is nice but you pay for the name.

Chris, just don't be rushed into anything. If you end up going for a new build play hardball and see what upgrades they will chuck in for you.

All the best

Chris
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Chris,

Its interesting you mention 'hardball'. I was wondering whether there would be room for negotaition. They all seem to do 'decor dollars' which seems to give you a few thousand dollars worth of white goods or upgrades. Are you saying it might be worth playing one developer off against another to see what they can do?

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.