Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Barclays account - Warning!

Barclays account - Warning!

Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:39 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays account - Warning!

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
I'm not sure if this only happened to me but I thought I'd warn people who have Barclays bank accounts in the UK.

A couple of weeks before I moved to Canada, I went into my local Barclays branch to get my address changed to my new Canadian address. I filled in their form, showed ID/passport etc.. and gave it to the lady at the counter. I made it clear that I was moving to Canada and wanted the address changed to there. Being unsure, she called her supervisor who came over and said that it should all be fine.

After I've moved to Canada, I noticed that I wasn't getting any monthly statements from Barclays. I called them (thank God for Skype's cheap rate) and they said that they hadn't received any request to get my address changed. They wouldn't change it by phone nor email. The only way is to go to a BRANCH!

To make matters worse, they sent that electronic device for online banking to my old address, so I couldn't do any online banking at all.

I sent them two letters together with their form for address changes that I got on their website and only got a reply 3 months later saying that current accounts (I don't know about savings) cannot have a foreign address.

For online banking, I was lucky enough to get a friend to post one of those devices to me but as for changing of address, I can't see any solution. So make sure that you close your accounts or convert them to an offshore account before you leave the country.

/rant over
I would like to join your rant.

About a month before we left the UK we wanted to add Neil's mum to our joint English bank account as a third party so she could sign cheques etc etc. Pay English bills etc etc.

Well we completed the form, we got our signatures witnessed and sent it back.

We thought..... yes thought everything was ok. Then MIL received the same form askng us to do it again!!!

We are a little p***ed about this, its a good job we didn't need to access the account.

Bunch of idiots.

Last edited by Cassie 10000; Jan 7th 2009 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:40 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

No, this is for all account holders regardless of location. It's the new safety measure for accessing online banking. I know natwest and barclays use these, not sure who else. The normal logon for Barclays stopped working a few months ago. For Natwest, it's only required if you want to edit your payees address book.
If your bank use one of these devices, they normally send you one by post.
oh I see, thanks for clarifying, I am with Lloyds and RBS and they have never sent one of these things, perhaps they may start to use them in the future?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Yes, 4 months it took me to sort out our Barclays account. In the end I just blasted them about their stupidity. Yet to change our credit card details was a matter of a phone call..........also Barclays.

Anyway finally they changed everything over and gave us a bigger overdraft facility, have no idea why but probably their way of an apology!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a diaster with barclays. Didn't tell them about my change of address until it had happened then we were here-they refused to send statements to canada. Last month this culminated in me going slightly over my overdraft due to direct debits I had forgotten about towards Christmas etc, this resulted in a reserve usage fee, by the time I got the letter sent on 8th december and it got rerouted it was 3rd jan and I had got charged FIVE £22 reserve usage fees. Cue 30mins on phone to them, no budging on their behalf (all over 66 over). Cue I am closing account. Banked with them for 22 years, had various loans all paid off etc. Disgusted is a mild version of how I feel at the moment. They wouldn't take Visa or another UK debit card to pay debt off so I have had to transfer money in. Nightmare.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
I have had a diaster with barclays. Didn't tell them about my change of address until it had happened then we were here-they refused to send statements to canada. Last month this culminated in me going slightly over my overdraft due to direct debits I had forgotten about towards Christmas etc, this resulted in a reserve usage fee, by the time I got the letter sent on 8th december and it got rerouted it was 3rd jan and I had got charged FIVE £22 reserve usage fees. Cue 30mins on phone to them, no budging on their behalf (all over 66 over). Cue I am closing account. Banked with them for 22 years, had various loans all paid off etc. Disgusted is a mild version of how I feel at the moment. They wouldn't take Visa or another UK debit card to pay debt off so I have had to transfer money in. Nightmare.
This was part of my problem. I suspect they didn't change my address the first time because it's not based in the UK, even though they told me it would be fine when I went to the branch.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:20 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure if this only happened to me but I thought I'd warn people who have Barclays bank accounts in the UK.

A couple of weeks before I moved to Canada, I went into my local Barclays branch to get my address changed to my new Canadian address. I filled in their form, showed ID/passport etc.. and gave it to the lady at the counter. I made it clear that I was moving to Canada and wanted the address changed to there. Being unsure, she called her supervisor who came over and said that it should all be fine.

After I've moved to Canada, I noticed that I wasn't getting any monthly statements from Barclays. I called them (thank God for Skype's cheap rate) and they said that they hadn't received any request to get my address changed. They wouldn't change it by phone nor email. The only way is to go to a BRANCH!

To make matters worse, they sent that electronic device for online banking to my old address, so I couldn't do any online banking at all.

I sent them two letters together with their form for address changes that I got on their website and only got a reply 3 months later saying that current accounts (I don't know about savings) cannot have a foreign address.

For online banking, I was lucky enough to get a friend to post one of those devices to me but as for changing of address, I can't see any solution. So make sure that you close your accounts or convert them to an offshore account before you leave the country.

/rant over
Poor you!

We have been baking with the Nationwide for six years since coming to Canada...plus they don't charge any fees for withdrawls anywhere in the world. Our pensions are paid in UK pounds and the only thing I can moan about is the fact that we are losing around 25% of our only income because of the lousy exchange rate.

Poor me!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

This was part of my problem. I suspect they didn't change my address the first time because it's not based in the UK, even though they told me it would be fine when I went to the branch.
WE have suffered all the same problems as you , with the online banking thing.

First Direct by contrast have been FAB
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

watergirl73 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband moved to Ontario 1 and a half years ago and banks with Lloyds TSB and has never encountered a problem with anything. They were quite happy to keep dealing with him even though he moved country. Interesting how some people have such difficult ordeals. I certainly feel for you.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the form of a calculator where you can insert your debit card. When you login online, it gives you an activation code and asks you for an access number. You can only get this number after you've inserted your card into the device and entered the code.
The device is free and is dispatched to all current account holders. Natwest also has their own.
I just had an email from my bank - Smile (Co-Op) - saying they will issue this soon.

I've always been wary of advising an address abroad in case they want to close the account. To open the account they usually want a regular income higher than goes in now I'm retired. Given I'm no longer meeting that condition they might be a little fussier than for a normal account and it worries me they may no longer want to keep the account running taking that into account and being abroad...as well as having to pay additional mailing costs if they send things such as this device at overseas postal rates.

Obviously I can have it sent on to me by my mum, but if she's not prompt with it and/or there are hold-ups with Customs, that could present problems with me accessing the account.

Has anyone reported living abroad and had no problem with the bank - especially when it comes to sending this sort of thing?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 8th 2009 at 2:01 am.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

/rant over

Hi. Sorry to hear about your problems. But just wanted to say that we have our canadian address down for our current account with Barclays bank. They send statements here etc and have had no problems (thus far!!!)

When we left UK we put the account into my parents address but due to unforseen circumstances had to change the account to our canadian address with no problem. I sent a email to them explaining our problem (parents on disability and my mum was worrying herself sick she was going to go to prison for 'benefit fraud' by having our account mail go to her address ) I told them my mum was making herself ill over the worry and how could they help me resolve the issue without me having to fly back to the UK to change address forms. They, i believe(it was a while ago now), sent me some forms that i filled in and sent back to them and they was no problem with the address change.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Although i worked for Barclays (you would be surprised just how much paperwork can get lost, also knowng some tricks of the trade, wont go into that though) i banked with Alliance and Leicester .. I am allowed to keep my account open for 6 months whilst living here, statements have been stopped (i can check online anyway) and all i have to do is send them a letter with a copy of my passport pic page within 6 months to close it. I will be charged 5GBP every month for not having at least 500GBP paid into it (benefits of having a premier account)
Now fingers crossed i will have no problems closing it.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I just had an email from my bank - Smile (Co-Op) - saying they will issue this soon.

I've always been wary of advising an address abroad in case they want to close the account. To open the account they usually want a regular income higher than goes in now I'm retired. Given I'm no longer meeting that condition they might be a little fussier than for a normal account and it worries me they may no longer want to keep the account running taking that into account and being abroad...as well as having to pay additional mailing costs if they send things such as this device at overseas postal rates.

Obviously I can have it sent on to me by my mum, but if she's not prompt with it and/or there are hold-ups with Customs, that could present problems with me accessing the account.

Has anyone reported living abroad and had no problem with the bank - especially when it comes to sending this sort of thing?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon as I'm out of university I am leaving barclays as fast as possible, they are moronic.

I went to canada to do an internship with a company, knowing this I went to my local branch and told them that I was changing my address to my canadian one for three months. We filled out all the paper work and everything was fine... for a couple of weeks. My card suddenly started getting declined, I couldnt pay for things on it nor could I draw money out of the bank.

a couple of weeks later I got a letter from barclays explaining that they'd stopped charges from my account because I was getting alot of unusual charges from canada...

they sent the letter to my canadian address.

What made things worse was that the letter specifically said not to call them if everything was fine and the charges were expected which left me in a difficult possition I still had to live and had no money at all, my friends bailed me out as much as they and a couple of weeks after reciving the letter they rang me up at 5 am (thank god I had my mobile phone listed as the contact number) asking me about the charges.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
So all UK banks issue these if you are going abroad and want to access your UK account? I assume I can just contact my bank and ask for one? Sorry If I am being a bit thick

Will your normal account logon stop working? I assumed it would still work?
we are with halifax and no probs at all. Told the bank manager that we were moving. called him when we bought our house and forwarded a letter saying what address is with us signing it and bam all done, cards work, online works
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sas-lou
... i banked with Alliance and Leicester .. I am allowed to keep my account open for 6 months whilst living here, statements have been stopped (i can check online anyway) and all i have to do is send them a letter with a copy of my passport pic page within 6 months to close it. I will be charged 5GBP every month for not having at least 500GBP paid into it
This is my worry with my account mentioned above. It pays a higher rate of interest than most current accounts (although that's no longer a big difference with falling rates) and, so, needed a minimum regular payment to open one.
I no longer get an automatic overdraft facility because I no longer have that minimum paid in. To be fair, they have actually been renewing the overdraft facility automatically...it's just that they email me to tell me I don't qualify for it but they are letting me have it.

I have my UK Superan paid into it and I use that to make payments on my UK credit card. Given the much lower credit limit on my Canadian c/c, it's good to have the UK one and essential to have the facility for paying balances.

Perhaps I can give a Canada address with the suggestion it's not permanent. That would be true anyway, since I expect to be moving in a few months. Maybe they could send this thing to me in Canada if they thought I was returning to the UK.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 8th 2009 at 3:12 am.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand any of this stuff about electronic gadgets and not being able to login without one it simply isn't true.
I have a current account and savings with Barclays and i get all my statements deivered to my Canadian address, including a new replacement debit card recently as mine was due to expire and i can log into online banking as normal whenever i need to without any gadget.
We visited the branch before we left and spoke with the manager and everything has been fine since and that was nearly 2 yeras ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.