Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us...""

"Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us...""

Old Jun 25th 2018, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us...""

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think they do. When one of my old friends took a gap year working holiday in Australia but ended up immigrating there, the SLC were very quick to track her down and demand their pound of flesh.
Quite right too!
Old Jun 25th 2018, 1:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Quite right too!
She had no objection to paying them what she owed. I think the problem was they made that process extraordinarily difficult for someone living in another country.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

She had no objection to paying them what she owed. I think the problem was they made that process extraordinarily difficult for someone living in another country.
Surprise, surprise!
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

They absolutely do, you must pay them monthly (opposed to quarterly or annually), you must pay in pound sterling, sender responsible for all fees and costs (ok but when combined with point one becomes very costly), you must send them a payment reassessment every year including last 3 months of pay slips on which they work out your new payments, they use a repayment threshold based on average cost of living for the whole of Canada without any consideration for where in this country you live (i.e. great if you are in Halifax, sucks if your in Vancouver and Toronto).
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Ah well, it will all get better when they take back control!
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
They absolutely do, you must pay them monthly (opposed to quarterly or annually), you must pay in pound sterling, sender responsible for all fees and costs (ok but when combined with point one becomes very costly), you must send them a payment reassessment every year including last 3 months of pay slips on which they work out your new payments, they use a repayment threshold based on average cost of living for the whole of Canada without any consideration for where in this country you live (i.e. great if you are in Halifax, sucks if your in Vancouver and Toronto).
Wow, thankfully mine's all paid off at this point. I think dealing with that lot would drive me insane.

I think that last part would have been a particular bugbear for her, assuming the same policy applies to Australian residents since she lives in Melbourne.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 3:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Ah well, it will all get better when they take back control!
It can only get worse considering student loans are now available to more people than ever before (e.g. OU and post grad students) and UK tuition fees are so ridiculously expensive.
​​​​​