Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banned from canada for life. What do you reckon?

Banned from canada for life. What do you reckon?

Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Banned from canada for life. What do you reckon?

Hi

I posted this same question in the immigration forum, but I think it is appropriate for this forum too

Some of you may recall that our daughter (now aged 16) was failed on her medical because she was on a course of growth hormone to improve her height. This therapy is due to finish next month. CIC then decided to ban her from entering Canada, even for holidays. This ban was then made lifelong, for some inexplicable reason only known to CIC!

The question is; In later life when she is married and has changed her name are the immigration authorities likely to pick up on this at the airport?

To be honest I do not think she would ever want to go to Canada again as a matter of principle, but we would like to know, just in case she did want to visit her aunt, uncle and cousins in a few years time
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banned from canada for life. What do you reckon?

OOOH!!! That is rather harsh of CIC; not even to allow her to visit her relatives. Surely there must be a way around it. You need to seek advice from your MP and our government - perhaps the commonwealth office. It is not like she is going to spread some horrible contagious infection. For Gods sake she is having growth hormone treatment and it will not burden the Canadian government in any manner. You need to look at relations between UK government and Canadian government and this may have to be debated at the highest possible level.

good luck
Ruby
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Hi

I posted this same question in the immigration forum, but I think it is appropriate for this forum too

Some of you may recall that our daughter (now aged 16) was failed on her medical because she was on a course of growth hormone to improve her height. This therapy is due to finish next month. CIC then decided to ban her from entering Canada, even for holidays. This ban was then made lifelong, for some inexplicable reason only known to CIC!

The question is; In later life when she is married and has changed her name are the immigration authorities likely to pick up on this at the airport?

To be honest I do not think she would ever want to go to Canada again as a matter of principle, but we would like to know, just in case she did want to visit her aunt, uncle and cousins in a few years time
I would think it's highly likely they will. She will have to produce her birth certificate and maybe even state whether she's made an application previously.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RubyRose
OOOH!!! That is rather harsh of CIC; not even to allow her to visit her relatives. Surely there must be a way around it. You need to seek advice from your MP and our government - perhaps the commonwealth office. It is not like she is going to spread some horrible contagious infection. For Gods sake she is having growth hormone treatment and it will not burden the Canadian government in any manner. You need to look at relations between UK government and Canadian government and this may have to be debated at the highest possible level.

good luck
Ruby
Believe it or not we have involved our MP. Judy (from this site) even tried to raise the matter on our behalf with the Canadian Prime Minister, who is her local MP. Nobody, it seems wants to overrule CIC.

According to Andrew Miller, CIC may inform other countries and she may get banned from entering those other countries too. We shelled out thousands of pounds for nothing, except to get my daughter banned from going on holiday again

We hate CIC :curse:
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

I'm really sorry for her situation. It sounds very odd that CIC would do such a thing, but I'm only guessing when I suggest that it is not so much to do with her condition, but with the treatment for it. Consider that the Canadians (as far as I am aware) will not accept blood donations from Brits. I gather that this is something to do with the risks of the BSE/CJD pathogen being passed on in the blood. Treatment with human growth hormone in the past has been implicated in cases of CJD. So this may explain their bizarre attitude, and they may think they're preventing these diseases from entering the country by banning individuals who have had such treatment. Sorry - I really don't know - but just trying to offer some possible reasoning behind it.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
I'm really sorry for her situation. It sounds very odd that CIC would do such a thing, but I'm only guessing when I suggest that it is not so much to do with her condition, but with the treatment for it. Consider that the Canadians (as far as I am aware) will not accept blood donations from Brits. I gather that this is something to do with the risks of the BSE/CJD pathogen being passed on in the blood. Treatment with human growth hormone in the past has been implicated in cases of CJD. So this may explain their bizarre attitude, and they may think they're preventing these diseases from entering the country by banning individuals who have had such treatment. Sorry - I really don't know - but just trying to offer some possible reasoning behind it.
We really do not know. The more we think about their decision the dafter it seems.

As for us, we are so negative about Canada now, we will never ever set foot in the country again. We just think that their decision is so unfair on our daughter and it may affect her for many years to come, so unjustly.

Andrew Miller has suggested we keep having a go at CIC to change this decision. We will do, even though they have ignored most of our letters so far. CIC it seems are a law unto themselves!

Last edited by Gray C; Apr 19th 2008 at 8:35 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
We really do not know. The more we think about their decision the dafter it seems.

As for us, we are so negative about Canada now, we will never ever set foot in the country again. We just think that their decision is so unfair on our daughter and it may affect her for many years to come, so unjustly.

Andrew Miller has suggested we keep having a go at CIC to change this decision. We will do, even though they have ignored most of our letters so far. CIC it seems are a law unto themselves!
I feel so sorry for all you and your family have been through...particularly your daughter. You are right she may blame herself for all of this. I agree with grumpyhaggis it does seem to be the most likely reason for their decision.