Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

banks & transfers and stuff advises !

banks & transfers and stuff advises !

Old May 13th 2010, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute
Default banks & transfers and stuff advises !

Please excuse if this is already been answered.

I have already opened a bank account with TD,
I bank with Barclays (online banking) and have a couple of accounts also BC

I'm trying to work out the best way to do things especially as interest rates are rubbish.

Have already been to Barclays to ask them.

so

1> I have a UK address, (my folks) which I can use, apparently if no transactions happen over 2 years they will close the account.

2> I cant apparently just internet transfer money from Barclays to my TD one.
They gave me some forms forms which I have to use, either here, or when I go there.

3> They said depending on how much I transfer, they will LOCK a rate fairly close to whatever the rate is and then BIB's it over (???? no dont ask me)
About £25 takes about 5-6 days. And whatever TD charge to recieve.

I'd like to leave SOME money here in a slush fund just in case. and send the rest over.

Am I better off using my bank, or some other broker to do a transfer.
Am worried about other places at least with Barclay's its my own bank.

Kinda wanting to do it before I go.

Any advise pls

sorry if I sound a bit dumb. money is not my strong suite,
I can tear down car engine, write raw HTML, and diagnose on VOIP networks
but $$$ ££££ is a mystery?

cheers in advance
Old May 13th 2010, 4:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: banks & transfers and stuff advises !

Originally Posted by jaye944
Please excuse if this is already been answered.

I have already opened a bank account with TD,
I bank with Barclays (online banking) and have a couple of accounts also BC

I'm trying to work out the best way to do things especially as interest rates are rubbish.

Have already been to Barclays to ask them.

so

1> I have a UK address, (my folks) which I can use, apparently if no transactions happen over 2 years they will close the account.

2> I cant apparently just internet transfer money from Barclays to my TD one.
They gave me some forms forms which I have to use, either here, or when I go there.

3> They said depending on how much I transfer, they will LOCK a rate fairly close to whatever the rate is and then BIB's it over (???? no dont ask me)
About £25 takes about 5-6 days. And whatever TD charge to recieve.

I'd like to leave SOME money here in a slush fund just in case. and send the rest over.

Am I better off using my bank, or some other broker to do a transfer.
Am worried about other places at least with Barclay's its my own bank.

Kinda wanting to do it before I go.

Any advise pls

sorry if I sound a bit dumb. money is not my strong suite,
I can tear down car engine, write raw HTML, and diagnose on VOIP networks
but $$$ ££££ is a mystery?

cheers in advance
You've got accounts in Canada and the UK? Then ring up a broker and ask them what to do. It will consist of you paying them pounds and them putting CAD$ in your TD account. It's pretty straightforward - though you might need to ring your bank in canada to find out the account numbers / swift codes etc. The broker will tell you what they need.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

JoanS is on a distinguished road

We use hifx.co.uk and just transfer from our English account to TD. We find the rate very good and its very easy to do.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoanS
We use hifx.co.uk and just transfer from our English account to TD. We find the rate very good and its very easy to do.
Open up an HSBC account in Canada and UK, sort out online banking for both accounts, and hey presto - you have no idea how easy it is to send money to and fro ...
Old May 14th 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

thankxs all for the good advise