Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banks / transfer money

Banks / transfer money

Old May 3rd 2013, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default Banks / transfer money

Hello, When we go over to Canada im planning at the moment staying for 1 year (long story)
As I will be getting paid in the UK I will need to transfer the money every month.
Can any recommend the best people to use.
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks / transfer money

Originally Posted by kevinm
Hello, When we go over to Canada im planning at the moment staying for 1 year (long story)
As I will be getting paid in the UK I will need to transfer the money every month.
Is your bank affiliated to any Canadian ones? It should be fairly easy to set up a transfer from one to another once you have the account numbers.
TD, BMO, RBC, CIBC, HSBC, Scotia Bank are the bigger ones over here
Old May 3rd 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

ANye is a jewel in the roughANye is a jewel in the roughANye is a jewel in the roughANye is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Banks / transfer money

I suggest you shop around for currency transfer quotes in the UK and make sure that you get the best exchange rate from an FCA (formerly FSA) authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks or Post Office and you usually avoid any commission charges.
Old May 3rd 2013, 4:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANye
I suggest you shop around for currency transfer quotes in the UK and make sure that you get the best exchange rate from an FCA (formerly FSA) authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks or Post Office and you usually avoid any commission charges.
You will never avoid commission charges, they are either built into the rate you get or are charged separately, but no FX agent works for free.

Transferring small amounts, too small for an FX house, best to just write yourself a cheque on your UK account and deposit it in your CDN account.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
Ive used 2 methods. For larger transfers ($$$$) HSBC to any Canadian bank (providing you can get your account number and BIC). Small fee involved, takes about 2-4 business days to transfer.

For small amounts ($$$) Use Paypal, one uk account to one canadian account (both with different emails for it to work) and you can gift up to a certain amount for Free and then withdraw it at your bank, takes a bit longer (up to 5 - 7 days in total)
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Bring your UK card with you and withdraw money here as you need it from your UK account. Depending on which bank you are with, they may charge you a fee though.

Alternative is to set up a standing order with your UK account to pay directly into your Canadian bank account, it's easy to do.