Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banking Issues

Banking Issues

Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Banking Issues

Originally Posted by iaink
So can you use interac to buy stuff in the UK or US? I have never tried, I just presumed it wouldnt work. Same with using it in foreign cash machines.
No - I've tried. There are a quite a few Canadian websites that you can purchase from. The Interac website has a list of stores. There are a lot of merchants but no really big names.

http://www.interac.ca/consumers/prod...search.php#all
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Fee structures have just changed this month at the RBC.We have been drawing our pensions from the Nationwide in the UK to the RBC in Canada with no problem for ten years with no problems, BUT as from November 1st the charges are huge.

The maximum you can draw is $400.00 at a time, and for each transaction at an ATM, the charges are 2% plus one pound. Purchases are 2% charge only.

This is going to make a HUGE hole in our income as it's the only way we can get at our only income.

I rang the bank's international line last night, and they said that this is because VISA have incurred these charges to the banks.

I'm going to research other banks and I know it will take a while to organise the pension transfers, but I suspect the other banks will follow.

We couldn't sleep last night as this is such a shock to us!
Any chance you can have the pension funds deposited directly in your canadian account?

Another option could be to use one of the brokerage houses to make the transfer. Good Luck...
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

We'll try to get some answers today about those options and weigh up any charges. I'm sure they can't be as hefty as keeping things as they are. We didn't think about using a brokerage house on a monthly basis so thanks for that.

(Daren't even mention that the exchange rate has already bitten off a hefty amount already over the last ten years...a topic already done to death here!)
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So can you use interac to buy stuff in the UK or US? I have never tried, I just presumed it wouldnt work. Same with using it in foreign cash machines.
I didn't say that. I can get cash in the local currency from any bank machine in UK, France or Germany. I try not to go to the US.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yea, I figured it might be. Hence the edit. So he's saying you can only use a debit card to get cash or buy something from a shop? Doesn't seem much of an issue to me.
It's not. Using a debit card on-line isn't very sensible.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say that. I can get cash in the local currency from any bank machine in UK, France or Germany. I try not to go to the US.
Sorry, I'm being more dim than usual here. Are you saying you can use an interac card to get cash from a UK bank machine?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I can use my Scotiabank card to draw cash from Barclays' ATMs in the UK and Bank of America in the US. I've not tried elsewhere.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've used my Canadian bank card in the Netherlands, the US, Australia, not sure where else. I don't see why it wouldn't work everywhere else.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Is it bank dependent, or is any interac enabled bank card good to go do you think? I suppose I should check with my bank...
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, I figured it might be. Hence the edit. So he's saying you can only use a debit card to get cash or buy something from a shop? Doesn't seem much of an issue to me.
You can't use InterAC to buy over the phone or on-line (although there's the e-mail EFT which seems to be unique to Canada imx).

InterAC is rubbish. I know it saves money but that expense is usually born by retailers and I generally find everything costs more in Canada than in the US anyway.

The trick retailers seem to use (which they use in the EU as well) is to have similar prices on their websites but when you walk into the store in the US you can usually get a much bigger discount than in Canada. I've lost count of the number of times I've done that.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm being more dim than usual here. Are you saying you can use an interac card to get cash from a UK bank machine?
Yes. That you can do.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it bank dependent, or is any interac enabled bank card good to go do you think? I suppose I should check with my bank...
If your debit cards have the PLUS symbol on the back, then they'll work in any ABM which also displays that symbol. Which is virtually all of them throughout Europe.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

If your debit cards have the PLUS symbol on the back, then they'll work in any ABM which also displays that symbol. Which is virtually all of them throughout Europe.
mine doesnt, but a quick google found another forum (there are OTHER fora, who knew ) where people reported that their PC card worked fine for them in most places in Europe/ UK etc.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Fee structures have just changed this month at the RBC.We have been drawing our pensions from the Nationwide in the UK to the RBC in Canada with no problem for ten years with no problems, BUT as from November 1st the charges are huge.

The maximum you can draw is $400.00 at a time, and for each transaction at an ATM, the charges are 2% plus one pound. Purchases are 2% charge only.

This is going to make a HUGE hole in our income as it's the only way we can get at our only income.

I rang the bank's international line last night, and they said that this is because VISA have incurred these charges to the banks.

I'm going to research other banks and I know it will take a while to organise the pension transfers, but I suspect the other banks will follow.

We couldn't sleep last night as this is such a shock to us!
Sorry - tired this am! Of course it's the Nationwide who have increased their charges. Hubby has just put me right!
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

I have no complaints haven't paid any bank fees for the past 20 years. This is my account details with the TD, but is available with all banks if you are over 60. http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/accounts/plan60.jsp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.