Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banking in Calgary

Banking in Calgary

Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light
Default Banking in Calgary

Hello all,

As we're due to land in Calgary this month, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to the best banks, preferably with LOW fees

RBC or TD look good, on the internet anyway. Has anyone had any experiences of these banks? If so, how would you rate them?

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies

Yogi
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Banking in Calgary

if you fire a PM to sam-in-okotoks, she can put you in contact with a bank who may do you a deal on their best account!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Banking in Calgary

Originally Posted by Paul5455
if you fire a PM to sam-in-okotoks, she can put you in contact with a bank who may do you a deal on their best account!
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for that.

I've seen Sam on here before, I'll give her a shout.

Cheers

Yogi
Old Sep 4th 2009, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with TD and have never had any issues with them. For free banking, you may wish to have a look at PC Financial. In all honesty, banks in Alberta are pretty much of a muchness, just like they are in the UK. I can't imagine anyone in the UK "recommending" a bank to a friend. I can imagine someone leaving a bank on the basis of instances of poor service from within the branch - same over here.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for that.

I've seen Sam on here before, I'll give her a shout.

Cheers

Yogi
Hi Yogi

Please feel free to send me a PM or email and I'll try and help.

Sam
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
Hi Yogi

Please feel free to send me a PM or email and I'll try and help.

Sam
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply. I'll PM you now

Cheers

Yogi
Old Sep 4th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hi Gary

I've sent you an email

Take care
Sam
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Paul,

I just wanted to "thank you" for this information. That old cliche` of "who you know" springs to mind

Anyway, we're sorted Sam's been great!

Cheers

Y
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:54 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gary

Cant help apart from say well done on the move......
Nice to see you are finally moving over, so you are off to calgary now and not lethbridge

LB
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Banking in Calgary

no problems
Sam helped me out so its only fair i pass on the karma!

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Hi Paul,

I just wanted to "thank you" for this information. That old cliche` of "who you know" springs to mind

Anyway, we're sorted Sam's been great!

Cheers

Y
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

no problems
Sam helped me out so its only fair i pass on the karma!
Absolutely!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:58 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Hey Sam can I bug you for some similar advice too. Banking for the wife and I is just about to change so keen to know what good options there are.

Currently I bank with RBC and have our mortgage and credit card with them too, as I have all their products I don't pay any fees. My wife is/was with Citizens bank and was also banking for free.

However, we are moving our mortgage next month and Citizens bank has stopped offering current accounts since they were bought out by TD. So we're up for moving things around to get the best value for our regular banking. I'm keen to keep the RBC credit card as we have the Avion one for points which seems like a good deal as rewards go.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Hey Sam can I bug you for some similar advice too. Banking for the wife and I is just about to change so keen to know what good options there are.

Currently I bank with RBC and have our mortgage and credit card with them too, as I have all their products I don't pay any fees. My wife is/was with Citizens bank and was also banking for free.

However, we are moving our mortgage next month and Citizens bank has stopped offering current accounts since they were bought out by TD. So we're up for moving things around to get the best value for our regular banking. I'm keen to keep the RBC credit card as we have the Avion one for points which seems like a good deal as rewards go.

Thanks in advance
Hi Hobbess

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, I've only just noticed your post. Firstly I'm a realtor so I'm not really in a position to offer advice on personal finance.

The deal I have setup is really for people who are still in the UK but are about to move to Canada, The account can be opened whilst you are still in the UK and includes free banking for a year, cheque books and credit cards.

If you are already here in Calgary then it is going to be a case of shopping around for the best deal. If you are looking for free banking then PC is worth a look, I know some banks offer free banking if you are in the fortunate position to keep a healthy balance in the account.

Let me know if you need anything.

Take care
Sam
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Hello you me old mucker,

not been on here for a while, just having a gander tonight and notice this post.

We have been recommended to TD, so going to check it out, but like another post said, much of a muchness. Anyway thought all your money was under your bed?????????????????????????

Will be good to see you at the end of the month bud, lots to catch up on.

Say hi to family for us, speak soon
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hello you me old mucker,

not been on here for a while, just having a gander tonight and notice this post.

We have been recommended to TD, so going to check it out, but like another post said, much of a muchness. Anyway thought all your money was under your bed?????????????????????????

Will be good to see you at the end of the month bud, lots to catch up on.

Say hi to family for us, speak soon
Blimey!

I thought you'd retired into some Mountain lodge with all that money you've been earning

Sam-in-Okotoks got us a FANTASTIC deal with TD, it's all setup just waiting for us to sign on the dotted....... Cheque book, cards, the lot!

Trouble is Mucker, I think it only applies if you're still in the UK. I'm not 100% about that, but I'm failry sure I remember Sam telling someome else on here that it was a setup if you're still in the UK.

To be honest, we'd have gone with TD anyway as a couple of people we know who've been in Calgary 30 years plus, both banked with TD and they don't know each other either, but both said what a good bank it was..

Might be worth you giving Sam a shout, she's been great with us and very helpful indeed!

Our two accounts were literally completed, and setup with funds, inside two days!

Looking forward to that cool beer matey, we've both come such a long way from that first meet God-knows-whenever that was

Cheers

Yogi

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; Sep 16th 2009 at 8:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.