Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Banking advice to new immigrants

Banking advice to new immigrants

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking advice to new immigrants

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
'HSBC Premier eligibility
HSBC Premier eligibility requires you to have an active Premier chequing account and maintain a $100,000 balance in combined personal deposits and investments with HSBC Bank Canada and its subsidiaries. Please refer to the Personal Service Charges / Statement of Disclosure for fees which may apply.

taken from their website

Great for people that are loaded. Not an option for us that don't have that kind of money
Or you keep £50k in your uk account, most don't buy property immediately, therefore, the money has to sit somewhere! No requirement for any minimum amount in Canada, because it is GLOBAL banking.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

I think the important point here is PREMIER banking, I didn't have my bank card from uk because it took time to produce one, when I arrived, the bank asks your name and address on premier banking service and some ID AND bingo, you are up and running. If you need bank drafts for rental property or to buy a car, you have to have cleared money in your account. Global banking permits that AS IT IS INSTANTANIOUSLY transferred and a credit card, and a credit line, not everyone's experiences are the same, I accept that, I could have kept this to myself, thought it would be helpful to someone in the future. Got to poshel Von! Bye!
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I think the important point here is
to have a lot of money so that the banks are friendly to you.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
to have a lot of money so that the banks are friendly to you.
That helps of course, but it is all relevant. Once we buy a house, we will be in the same boat, property and little cash, but my transition to Canada will have been done much more smoothly thanks to the service provided by Premier banking.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:19 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

That helps of course, but it is all relevant. Once we buy a house, we will be in the same boat, property and little cash, but my transition to Canada will have been done much more smoothly thanks to the service provided by Premier banking.
The problem with HSBC and going back to the lack of branches is that they have the least by some way.

Again it comes down to requirements but that is why I never went there.

Also Barclays were meant to have some partnership with Scotia. Don't let that con fool anyone as it gave no benefits what so ever.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:40 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Or you keep £50k in your uk account, most don't buy property immediately, therefore, the money has to sit somewhere! No requirement for any minimum amount in Canada, because it is GLOBAL banking.

That is fine for people selling their properties but for the people coming out on an IEC its not a lot of good.

I just shut my TD account down and withdraw the amount that I had accumulated in there. When they asked my why I was closing the account I was honest and said: you guys refused me a credit card so I went somewhere else that did and the money was only in there for my PR application Bye!
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

All the banks have newcomer packages and most are much of a muchness - debit card issued immediately, online banking, potential approval for car/visa/mortgage.

I agree 100% that it's branch dependant - get a good customer service manager and you are laughing.

Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
All the banks have newcomer packages and most are much of a muchness - debit card issued immediately, online banking, potential approval for car/visa/mortgage.

I agree 100% that it's branch dependant - get a good customer service manager and you are laughing.

until he/she leaves or is promoted elsewhere ......... that's what has happened to us several times
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's branch dependent. Having said that, I've had an account for a million years with FD in the UK (no branches) and I think they're excellent. They did help me open an account with HSBC here before I came and the local branch I use is good. But you can't get global view if your UK bank is FD.

S
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I think the important point here is PREMIER banking, I didn't have my bank card from uk because it took time to produce one, when I arrived, the bank asks your name and address on premier banking service and some ID AND bingo, you are up and running. If you need bank drafts for rental property or to buy a car, you have to have cleared money in your account. Global banking permits that AS IT IS INSTANTANIOUSLY transferred and a credit card, and a credit line, not everyone's experiences are the same, I accept that, I could have kept this to myself, thought it would be helpful to someone in the future. Got to poshel Von! Bye!
While many on the forum are quick to jump on someone when they post... about pretty much anything! Sometimes on BE it is hard for people just trying to be nice and share their experience.

I personally appreciate your perspective and won't write passive aggressive responses to you because you have enough money to have a premier account.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Other than that the thread for the most part has been very informative, it seems banking in Canada isn't so much about the bank but about the person you're dealing with on the day.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:30 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I personally appreciate your perspective and won't write passive aggressive responses to you because you have enough money to have a premier account.
The point that was being made is that 'suitable banking' is not a one size fits all.

Whilst it is good to have recommendations, the OP really should have made it clear that this bank account requires a large amount of money to maintain it - although I already knew about HSBC Premier

Last edited by beckiwoo; Aug 4th 2016 at 2:33 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

We had a HSBC premier account and set up a Canadian account too, but we literally used it once. The local branch was too far away and so we set up a new one.

I think the key to banking in Canada is not which one is the best, but which one is the least worse.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
We had a HSBC premier account and set up a Canadian account too, but we literally used it once. The local branch was too far away and so we set up a new one.

I think the key to banking in Canada is not which one is the best, but which one is the least worse.
I honestly think that for banking in Canada alone you're probably right. They're all much of a muchness.

But if, like us, you have financial interests in Canada (less so now than before), in e.g. the UK and in our case in France as well, the HSBC Premier account is unrivalled.

I can appreciate that for beckiwoo etc., the $100k qualification for the full service is off-putting, but for other folk that's a relatively trivial amount.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I can appreciate that for beckiwoo etc., the $100k qualification for the full service is off-putting, but for other folk that's a relatively trivial amount.
I wouldn't be put off by that requirement. Anyone got a spare $100k knocking around?
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:26 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I honestly think that for banking in Canada alone you're probably right. They're all much of a muchness.

But if, like us, you have financial interests in Canada (less so now than before), in e.g. the UK and in our case in France as well, the HSBC Premier account is unrivalled.

Oh I can see that.. We maintain our UK account..

Do most people close their UK bank accounts when they move?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.