Banking

Old May 3rd 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all
Default Banking

Last week I was on holiday in Orlando. To my surprise, and concern, most places (including the theme parks) wouldn't accept my Canadian debit card (PC Financial, Interac) though I could use my Canadian Mastercard (until I reached my credit limit anyway).

Does anyone have any advice on ways around this? I investigated a few of the banks' websites and some offer a US account linked to your main one and I believe CIBC have a Visa debit card, which could be used internationally, so what's the best, and cheapest, way of using my money outside of Canada?

Thanks.
Old May 3rd 2013, 7:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking

I always use my Visa for buying food gas ect and Debit to draw cash from any US ABM.

Try not to draw cash on the Visa as it is more $$$ to pay back.
Old May 3rd 2013, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

Thanks, which Visa though? Most Canadian debit cards (according to my bank - but then they would say that...) can't be used outside of the country so is yours a Visa credit card? And the debit card can be used to get cash for a fee?
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a change in the US ATM 's and apparently they made the decision to not take certain cards.
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dg31
Last week I was on holiday in Orlando. To my surprise, and concern, most places (including the theme parks) wouldn't accept my Canadian debit card (PC Financial, Interac) though I could use my Canadian Mastercard (until I reached my credit limit anyway).

Does anyone have any advice on ways around this? I investigated a few of the banks' websites and some offer a US account linked to your main one and I believe CIBC have a Visa debit card, which could be used internationally, so what's the best, and cheapest, way of using my money outside of Canada?

Thanks.
Your bank should do a USD credit card- use that and then pay bill off when it comes in.
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:31 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, which Visa though? Most Canadian debit cards (according to my bank - but then they would say that...) can't be used outside of the country so is yours a Visa credit card? And the debit card can be used to get cash for a fee?
Yeh TD visa CRedit, mine are both separate still. OH has the visa/debit, that would not compute in US so we gave up before we lost it in the ABM
Old May 4th 2013, 11:49 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Interac is a Canadian thing, can't be used anywhere else in the world. A Visa Debit is what you want if you wish to use a debit card elsewhere, just the same as UK cards where Solo couldn't outside the country. Many Canadian client debit cards are connected to Plus or Cirrus which can be used outside the country in ATMs, but not via merchants as debit.

Basically you need a card that uses the international credit card systems, and that leaves you with Visa Debit or the Mastercard equivalent. They don't get processed by the merchant as a debit, they're treated as a credit card through the system until it gets processed to your account when it's finalized at Visa's side.

Last edited by Ben W Bell; May 4th 2013 at 11:53 am.
Old May 4th 2013, 10:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
What's wrong with using money? It's accepted everywhere, you don't hold up other customers while your debit transaction clunks along to the bank and back and you probably don't need the cashier to explain how to use it every time you want to buy something. It even works during power cuts.
Old May 4th 2013, 11:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Interac is a Canadian thing, can't be used anywhere else in the world. A Visa Debit is what you want if you wish to use a debit card elsewhere, just the same as UK cards where Solo couldn't outside the country. Many Canadian client debit cards are connected to Plus or Cirrus which can be used outside the country in ATMs, but not via merchants as debit.

Basically you need a card that uses the international credit card systems, and that leaves you with Visa Debit or the Mastercard equivalent. They don't get processed by the merchant as a debit, they're treated as a credit card through the system until it gets processed to your account when it's finalized at Visa's side.
You can use Interac debit cards elsewhere (dunno about Florida) so long as it has the "Plus" symbol on the back. I've recently made cash withdrawals in France, UK and Germany with my TD Green machine thingy.

You can't use it in shops though. For that you need a credit card.
Old May 4th 2013, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

stuham33 is an unknown quantity at this point

When we are in the states, I draw cash from the ATM with my PC financial debit card, and as others have said credit card for everything else.
Old May 4th 2013, 11:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You can use Interac debit cards elsewhere (dunno about Florida) so long as it has the "Plus" symbol on the back. I've recently made cash withdrawals in France, UK and Germany with my TD Green machine thingy.

You can't use it in shops though. For that you need a credit card.
Oops. That's what you said isn't it? Sorry Ben, I didn't read it all the first time.
Old May 5th 2013, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

wish i could get a VISA debit, it would be handy for internet shopping when they don't have a paypal option!
Old May 5th 2013, 11:27 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oops. That's what you said isn't it? Sorry Ben, I didn't read it all the first time.
Old May 5th 2013, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by haggis88
wish i could get a VISA debit, it would be handy for internet shopping when they don't have a paypal option!
Go and open a TD account, you`ll get a visa debit card straight away
Old May 5th 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
What's wrong with using money? It's accepted everywhere, you don't hold up other customers while your debit transaction clunks along to the bank and back and you probably don't need the cashier to explain how to use it every time you want to buy something. It even works during power cuts.
A $200 daily withdrawal limit and ATM fees for starters...

Looking at a BMO account with US Mastercard at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.