Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Originally Posted by iaink
Simple enough to do (instructions on the website), but you have to be canadian resident (PR?) to do it, and of course all the usual hassles surrounding new residents/ canadian credit rating etc apply to getting the credit card from them.
Ok thanks, we are just trying to get our head around the whole transferring money from sale of house etc, does it go to a Canadian bank? Need to call Hi-Fx and get some idea of how this all works
Old Nov 20th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

I must say, CoastCapital have been excellent so far and I am pretty sure that I will end up with them. They have a demo of their internet banking on their website, their customer service is personal (dealing with a lady at the Woodgrove Centre branch at the moment) and they are willing to get involved to help ensure that it is possible to get what I need. I couldn't ask for more really. They also provide a cashback card rather than a points based one although I probably won't get access to that for a year or so.

Thanks for the info on the BC ID; that all makes sense so I guess that as I'll be driving and there is no difference in timing I just go to a driving centre and ask to get my driving licence changed to a BC one? I'll go and read the Wiki for what is involved in that.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Just my two cents but the Canadian bank system is wank compared to the UK or the US - this is basically why they didn't get hammered in the recession so badly because they weren't lending stupidly using exotic financial instruments. So it cuts both ways, antiquated and dull is not always a bad thing.

Having a credit card is more important in Canada than pretty much any other developed country I'm familiar with due to the limitations of the InterAC system as moaned about in the other thread.

What I would like to know is if anyone is familiar with any Canadian bank that offers PDF versions of bank statements, which seems to be common in the UK and the US but I know my bank doesn't do it here.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
What I would like to know is if anyone is familiar with any Canadian bank that offers PDF versions of bank statements, which seems to be common in the UK and the US but I know my bank doesn't do it here.
I can download a pdf statement with Presidents Choice. AFAIK its not sent automatically.