Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which bank will best meet my requirements?

Originally Posted by Tripitaka
Oooh! I like that idea. I'll take a look as I'll be moving money back to the UK on a monthly basis to cover commitments here. I was going to use TorFX but this sounds like it might offer an alternative.
Yes it was a great proposal from them. We have a relationship manager in the UK and we have been assigned a relationship manager in Vancouver, and we don't arrive for another 12 days.
You will need to check out the rates for transferring money, I believe it was £1000 a day at no charge.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

But, you do have direct debits, right?

It's a funny old world. I guess a more interesting question and this juncture would be: "What does your internet banking allow you to do (or isn't available) compared to systems in the UK?"
We have pre-authorized debits (PAD) instead of direct debits. I'm not a great fan of PADs because you give up some control of your account to the drawer. E.g. if you are paying for a service by PAD and decide to cancel it you have to get the service provider to stop claiming the PAD, not tell the bank to stop paying it. I heard an example on the Radio recently of a gym that had all its members paying monthly by PAD. The gym went out of business but kept debiting its ex members monthly fees for years after wards.

You can pay pretty much all taxes, clubs, utilities, credit cards stores and so on by internet banking. What you cannot do is transfer funds directly into another individual's account. You can email money to individuals who bank with many financial institutions (I'm not sure if Coast Capital is a participant yet) and this is just as effective - though it does cost a couple of bucks.

Another thing you will get at somewhere like Coast Capital is that you get to deal with who seem genuinely grateful that you have chosen to do business with them.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:23 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

I would also say PC Financial. It is the best thing going in banking in this country if you just want a basic savings or chequing account. There are no monthly fees ever and debit transactions are completely free and unlimited. Plus it can be accessed at any CIBC ABM as well as the Presidents Choice ones at Loblaws, No Frills, etc.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We have pre-authorized debits (PAD) instead of direct debits. I'm not a great fan of PADs because you give up some control of your account to the drawer. E.g. if you are paying for a service by PAD and decide to cancel it you have to get the service provider to stop claiming the PAD, not tell the bank to stop paying it. I heard an example on the Radio recently of a gym that had all its members paying monthly by PAD. The gym went out of business but kept debiting its ex members monthly fees for years after wards.

You can pay pretty much all taxes, clubs, utilities, credit cards stores and so on by internet banking. What you cannot do is transfer funds directly into another individual's account. You can email money to individuals who bank with many financial institutions (I'm not sure if Coast Capital is a participant yet) and this is just as effective - though it does cost a couple of bucks.

Another thing you will get at somewhere like Coast Capital is that you get to deal with who seem genuinely grateful that you have chosen to do business with them.
This is great insight and I'm truly grateful. Lots here that I wasn't aware of; I always like to do my homework before asking on forums but I've learnt more in the last hour on here than I have over the last three days elsewhere.

The PADS thing clearly needs sorting out - how bizarre! LOL. It seems from reading the PC site that Automitic Bill Payments = Standing Orders and PADS = Direct Debits (ish, with caveats from above). The not transferring between accounts is a bit of a surprise but I can get around that with planning.

Thanks (so far). Need my bed now.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh! I like that idea. I'll take a look as I'll be moving money back to the UK on a monthly basis to cover commitments here. I was going to use TorFX but this sounds like it might offer an alternative.
You need a wad of cash for HSBC premier. $100k - great if you've just sold your house.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I agree with this. I prefer to control all payments out of the account.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't that what standing orders are for? I guess I'm in for a bit of a shock. I'm not against cheques, per se but they are just so 1990's. Ah well, it's no big deal - just carry more cash than I do here.
Welcome to Canada.

You also need to give voided cheques to your employers so they can set up paying your wage into your account. They won't take a piece of paper with this info on nor a photocopy of a voided cheque.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:20 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Welcome to Canada.

You also need to give voided cheques to your employers so they can set up paying your wage into your account. They won't take a piece of paper with this info on nor a photocopy of a voided cheque.
Ah yes had forgotten about that , you often need them to set up your pre auth. Payments as well.

The concept of actually knowing your bank details is fairly alien as well !
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:49 am
Just Joined

flyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond reputeflyboy74 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for HSBC... Their premier service makes moving countries really easy. In fact, I think I read somewhere that HSBC premier now has a team of people who specialize in getting you set up in another country before you even get there?

The only snag is that they don't have as many branches as some of the bigger banks...
Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You need a wad of cash for HSBC premier. $100k - great if you've just sold your house.
Isn't that only for fee-free banking with HSBC Premier? I'll be calling them today to find out more as I need to retain an account in the UK for at least a few years yet as I'll be renting my house here rather than selling.

It's clear I will be needing to take a new view on my banking arrangements, which I'm happy to do and this thread is helping me become informed on that. There are some things that seem odd but that is all part of a new culture and I welcome it.

I work for Hewlett Packard and I'm moving on an internal transfer so I'd be pretty surprised if they needed to see voided cheques in order to pay me - who knows though? Anything is possible!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
here is the criteria..
http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...OutMore_Button
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flyboy74
+1 for HSBC... Their premier service makes moving countries really easy. In fact, I think I read somewhere that HSBC premier now has a team of people who specialize in getting you set up in another country before you even get there?

The only snag is that they don't have as many branches as some of the bigger banks...
Yes we have a canadian account/cards before we have left the UK. It was set up by a relationship manager, we got exceptional service, and were surprised by how easy it was.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good info here; I’ll definitely have a closer look at the PC option. I intend opening a bank account when we make our landing trip at New Year.

Out of interest, what are your views on this?

http://www.cdcb.ca/en/index.asp

I’m enrolling into the CF and this is affiliated to it. As a new resident with no credit history, I was thinking that I’d be more likely to get a better limit on a credit card, easier mortgage etc by going with these than I would with another bank?

Thoughts anyone….
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:03 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ducktastic;8989095]Yes we have a canadian account/cards before we have left the UK. It was set up by a relationship manager, we got exceptional service, and were surprised by how easy it was.[/QUOT

I think I've said this before on this forum, but the HSBC Premiere route has been fantastic for us. Everything set up and working before we even arrived in Vancouver. True - not so many branches as the major Canadian banks, but how often do you go into a branch of your UK bank? The online service is superb; you can link your UK accounts, offshore accounts and Canadian accounts instantly. Money transfers are free and the exchange rates are as good as I have found anywhere else.

As an aside, I received an unsolicited email from my Canadian Relationship Manager only yesterday asking how we were settling in and if there was anything else she could do for us.

Very impressed! (and for a bank that's saying something).......
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Just spoken with the advisor and the minimum savings of £50K are the hurdle for us. You can get the same facilities with the HSBC Advance account too but they then charge a £50 admin fee to set up and transactions through Global View are £5 each. Yikes!!

If you have the savings then it seems a good route; if you don't, it definitely isn't because the costs are high. Yes, it saves potential hassle on setting up the account but after that, they don't provide anything that can't be gained easily through other methods. In other words, the value-add is low to anyone but the terminally lazy or those that can take advantage because they meet the criteria.

Onto reviewing PCF and Coast then... Not sure how to choose between the two at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.