Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Bank" holidays in Ontario

"Bank" holidays in Ontario

Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Question "Bank" holidays in Ontario

Just a question...according to our bank (RBC), they are closed on the 13th of November. I'm assuming this is because Remembrance day (11th) falls on a Saturday. Is it just banks who have this day off, or is a provincial day off for everyone?

Just asking because my new job is supposed to start on the 13th (not in a bank), and I'm just wondering if it is only banks that don't work on that day, or if my new company may not have realised the date?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Bank" holidays in Ontario

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Just a question...according to our bank (RBC), they are closed on the 13th of November. I'm assuming this is because Remembrance day (11th) falls on a Saturday. Is it just banks who have this day off, or is a provincial day off for everyone?

Just asking because my new job is supposed to start on the 13th (not in a bank), and I'm just wondering if it is only banks that don't work on that day, or if my new company may not have realised the date?
yes the banks are closed .. as if they needed yet another excuse. Also the federal govt. 'silly servants' can also stay home. Everybody else, you included, gets to go to work.

see link

http://www.bank-holidays.com/holidays_2006_495.htm
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:33 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by montreal mike
yes the banks are closed .. as if they needed yet another excuse. Also the federal govt. 'silly servants' can also stay home. Everybody else, you included, gets to go to work.

see link

ROFL - Don't sugar the pill too much now mike
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

see link

Further to Mikes comments:

What are Ontario's public holidays

Ontario has eight public holidays:

• New Year's Day
  • Good Friday
  • Victoria Day
  • Canada Day
  • Labour Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • Boxing Day (December 26)
As you'll see Remembrance Day is not one of the eight.

More information available at the Ontario Ministry of Labor website as to who is eligible and all that.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:30 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Accidentally stumbled on this thread from November 11, 2005. Not pertinent to Ontario only. It gives some idea of the variety of ways in which Remembrance Day is observed in across Canada.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Further to Mikes comments:

What are Ontario's public holidays

Ontario has eight public holidays:

• New Year's Day
  • Good Friday
  • Victoria Day
  • Canada Day
  • Labour Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
  • Boxing Day (December 26)
As you'll see Remembrance Day is not one of the eight.

More information available at the Ontario Ministry of Labor website as to who is eligible and all that.

Cheers
Steve
Actually Ontarians get off the first monday in august ... no idea what it called ,, in Quebec instead we get st jonnie the baptist day on june 24 .. I think both are provincial hols

I just foud a link

http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/s...t_holiday.html

Last edited by montreal mike; Nov 5th 2006 at 11:13 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually Ontarians get off the first monday in august ... no idea what it called
Civic Holiday.

Remembrance Day is not a holiday in Quebec but it might as well be in Gatineau, given where most people work. Rather sweetly, I thought, they have named it after me: "Jour de Souvenir".
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

OK, at least now I know! So 8 public days, same as the UK, with the potential for an extra few around Easter and August 1st, depending on the employer.

I suppose we shouldn't complain...my company starts me on 15 days, OH's company originally said 10 days, going up to 15 after 2 years, instead they came back with a "slightly" lower financial offer, but starting on 15 days holiday...a fair trade!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:28 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually Ontarians get off the first monday in august ... no idea what it called ,, in Quebec instead we get st jonnie the baptist day on june 24 .. I think both are provincial hols

I just foud a link

http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/s...t_holiday.html
The information I put in my message is a direct cut and paste from the official Ontario Government website.

The August holiday is most likely a Civic holiday not provincial.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:30 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Ontarians get off the first monday in august
According to the Ontario Ministry of Labour:
Some employers give their employees a holiday on Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, the first Monday in August, or Remembrance Day. However, these days are not public holidays under the ESA [Employment Standards Act, 2000].

Edited to add that I did not notice Hangman's response when I posted mine.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hangman
The information I put in my message is a direct cut and paste from the official Ontario Government website.

The August holiday is most likely a Civic holiday not provincial.

Its called a civil holiday (canada)