Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bank account opening and proof of address

Bank account opening and proof of address

Old Aug 19th 2015, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

chindonciaobella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank account opening and proof of address

Hello. I would appreciate some information about the current requirements for opening a bank account. Is proof of address required i.e a rental agreement or would the bank accept a hotel address? Can we then use a copy of an opening statement from the bank as proof of address with Service Alberta to obtain a driver's licence?
I have used the search facility and did not find an answer.
This situation has arisen because our pre-arranged rental has fallen through and we are due to fly out next week. Thank you.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account opening and proof of address

Opening a Bank Account

Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

chindonciaobella is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Siouxie for the link. I had used the search function and found varying information on different threads. For example on this thread someone states categorically a Canadian address is not needed. http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...lberta-485043/
I note however the thread is 8 years old. I was just wondering if anyone in my situation had opened a bank account recently. i.e No Calgary address with only a hotel address for my first two weeks.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

We did this in Calgary in 2013 (2yrs ago). We booked into a hotel for 2 weeks whilst looking for an apartment - problem being apartments were few and they all wanted a cheque etc and you need bank account etc and banks want a fixed address first. Most tellers don't know how to handle this. You need a personal banker of a few years experience and coming from abroad you probably want a Big 5 Chartered Bank which will offer and understand forex and other needs you have. We did it at BMO but you can go to any of the other ones. Effectively they can agree (by exception) to have the branch address listed as your temporary address pending confirmation of where you will be living. You will need your passport, PR and SIN numbers. First step is to get the SIN number from Service Canada and they can similarly have this mailed to their address for you to pick up afterwards. The other way around this is to open a HSBC Premier account in UK and they will open a foreign bank account for you, though they may charge (£100 I think). Credit Unions can offer free banking but they are quite simple and basic. Good luck
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chindonciaobella
Thanks Siouxie for the link. I had used the search function and found varying information on different threads. For example on this thread someone states categorically a Canadian address is not needed. http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...lberta-485043/
I note however the thread is 8 years old. I was just wondering if anyone in my situation had opened a bank account recently. i.e No Calgary address with only a hotel address for my first two weeks.
You are most welcome.
Most of the main banks have accounts that are meant specifically for newcomers. Each offers varying deals.

Scotiabank allow you to apply online: StartRight Program | Scotiabank StartRight

You can give your hotel address to the bank as your temporary address, I believe. You will be issued your debit card on the spot normally, tell them you need online banking and they will set it up (you will be able to print off a void cheque at will) and they can normally issue you with some temporary cheques whilst you are waiting for a permanent address. I 2nd 99problems's advice - make an appointment to see a customer services representative (account manager) at one of the main banks as they are much more likely to understand what you need.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 31st 2015 at 6:28 am.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

We used a Canadian PO Box service for opening a bank account with PC Financial as we knew we'd have temporary addresses for a few months.