Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Baking in a Kenmore oven

Baking in a Kenmore oven

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:27 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Baking in a Kenmore oven

Hello all,

We're renting an apartment at the mo...it's 'okay' but the appliances are a crock. The cooker (a Kenmore Electric Range that looks like it should be back on the set of 'Happy Days') is heating at about 50 degrees C lower than it should be (we bought an oven thermometer to test) so we asked the landlord to send in a 'man that can' to fix it. He duly came, adjusted the temp and it seemed to be okay. Anyway, long (and boring) story short, it's still 50 degrees short and takes FOREVER to cook anything. Letting agent is now ignoring our requests to get it sorted. Am I missing something though? Is there a secret to making these cookers work for you? The oven man said it's fairly new, just basic. There's an element in the bottom of the oven which heats up.....and takes for flippin' ever! I'd really like to go back to baking cakes again but wanted to know if anyone has any handy tips so I don't waste my time (and money buying ingredients). I realise it's not the fan assisted marvel I had in the UK but no matter what I do, I'm ruining everything . Any help very gratefully received

p.s. Forgot to mention that hubby worked out how to adjust the temp to maximum setting with poor results.

Last edited by Dotty P; Sep 23rd 2012 at 6:29 pm. Reason: Added info
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 7:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baking in a Kenmore oven

Not sure if this will be of use, but there are some trouble shooting tips at this website: http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/ques...-temperature-1

It sounds like the thermostat is not reading correctly.

Edit: Not sure where you are living but could the elevation have anything to do with it? http://www.thecookinginn.com/haltitude.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 23rd 2012 at 7:54 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:23 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by siouxie
Not sure if this will be of use, but there are some trouble shooting tips at this website: http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/ques...-temperature-1

It sounds like the thermostat is not reading correctly.

Edit: Not sure where you are living but could the elevation have anything to do with it? http://www.thecookinginn.com/haltitude.html
Thanks Siouxie, the first article is really helpful.....sounds like I wrote the post!

We're in Burlington, so I don't think the second article applies but thanks for looking it up for me (we are 18 floors up though, so maybe it does )

Appreciate your help!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:28 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Can you just set the temperature 50 degrees higher? Or try turning on the fan if there is one.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain. Mine is also an element in the bottom of the oven (not my fancy pants double fan assisted like the UK).

I ruined many a meal and it took me a while.

Basically what I do is cook it a lot higher than I would expect to but for about 2/3rd of the time it should take to cook at the regular temp if that makes sense?

That and I invested in a slow cooker since I got here...
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:14 am

Thanks Geordie Lass.....sorry that you share my sorry story! I swear my mum had a similar cooker when I was a child.....and she had a similar version of the top loader washing machine we have here. Quick question.....I get what you're doing re upping temp and reducing time. Do you bake cakes because it's a bit risky guessing and even if the cakes look done on the outside, the inside could be mush. Just wondered whether you have a baking tip? I really miss baking....
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Thanks Geordie Lass.....sorry that you share my sorry story! I swear my mum had a similar cooker when I was a child.....and she had a similar version of the top loader washing machine we have here. Quick question.....I get what you're doing re upping temp and reducing time. Do you bake cakes because it's a bit risky guessing and even if the cakes look done on the outside, the inside could be mush. Just wondered whether you have a baking tip? I really miss baking....
My cakes come out flat here... I am not a great baker anyway. My brownies are good here. Really all I go by is smell -ie if my kitchen starts to smell good then I know they are almost ready and I also have one of those thin pokey things that you still into cakes where if it comes out with cake on it it's not ready yet. Search for a thread on baking - it will have been covered. I think you need to alter the quantities a bit.

Another tip... Do not scramble eggs in the microwave if you are in Calgary! They explode so loud you duck to avoid the bullets!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Canadian Tire and get one of these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Convection Toaster oven with rotisserie - it's on sale too - bonus.

I bought the exact same one last year in the sale and have found it cooks better than my gas oven. I have cooked mince pies, tarts, scones and small fruit cakes in it - plus roast potato's, roast chicken etc.

Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:06 pm

Girls, you are so helpful! Thanks so much! I may look at that oven thingy but trouble is our kitchen is wee teeny tiny with only enough work surface to just about dish up dinners for three.....oh how I wish we had our own place with a great kitchen! Must.....be......patient......

Renting an apartment has its advantages (no snow shovelling, no lawn mowing, great gym) but they always seem to have such crud appliances.

Ah well.....will take your suggestions on board though; definitely going to buy the pokey thing though.....
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:21 pm
Banned

Ah yes, the wonders of apartment kitchens (and some older houses, believe me!) - I bought a microwave cart like this one when I lived in an apartment, it really helped with storage and I was able to have my microwave in the middle bit and toaster oven on top. Walmart sell them too for under $50.

Might be worth investing in one!

ps. They sell skewers too!

Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie
Ah yes, the wonders of apartment kitchens (and some older houses, believe me!) - I bought a microwave cart like this one when I lived in an apartment, it really helped with storage and I was able to have my microwave in the middle bit and toaster oven on top. Walmart sell them too for under $50.

Might be worth investing in one!

ps. They sell skewers too!

Now that IS a good idea....we do actually have a spare piece of wall doing nothing in the corner......I saw something similar in Ikea too......

I wouldn't really want a massive kitchen because you spend all your time walking up and down to get things out of cupboards and more cupboards means more room to store tat! However, I would LOVE more work surface. It's almost dangerous in this kitchen at the moment when you don't have a place to put hot pans because the plates take up all the room!

I knew that pokey thing had a proper name.....skewer....much better!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not planning to live in this place long term a smaller convection type appliance like the others have mentioned is probably the easiest solution for you (unfortunately property management types can all too often be less than helpful when something goes wrong with appliances). When the time comes and you are shopping for your own appliances, I would suggest you avoid the "brand" you mentioned in your original post. Take it from someone whose family sold and serviced household appliances in Canada for 25 years.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops
If you're not planning to live in this place long term a smaller convection type appliance like the others have mentioned is probably the easiest solution for you (unfortunately property management types can all too often be less than helpful when something goes wrong with appliances). When the time comes and you are shopping for your own appliances, I would suggest you avoid the "brand" you mentioned in your original post. Take it from someone whose family sold and serviced household appliances in Canada for 25 years.
Thanks for the tip CT.....I see you're now residing in Kent; did the appliances drive you away?

Although I get a bit miffy with my current appliances, I tell myself it is only a year and to just gerron with it. Could be worse.

I'm guessing you won't be able to actually tell me which 'brand' to look for when we do finally settle into a more permanent nest....will you? Would that be breaking forum rules?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Thanks for the tip CT.....I see you're now residing in Kent; did the appliances drive you away?

Although I get a bit miffy with my current appliances, I tell myself it is only a year and to just gerron with it. Could be worse.

I'm guessing you won't be able to actually tell me which 'brand' to look for when we do finally settle into a more permanent nest....will you? Would that be breaking forum rules?
Hi Dotty,
No, the appliances didn't drive me out I got married over here. I've pm'd you about the white goods.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

Kenmore is not a "true" brand. It's the brand name used by Sears but the appliances are made by the major manufacturers and rebadged to Kenmore. The only parts that are truly Kenmore are the badges and labels. We have a Kenmore range made by Electrolux and Kenmore laundry appliances made by Samasung. Don't avoid the Kenmore brand, just check which company makes the appliance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.