British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Baggage allowance on flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/baggage-allowance-flights-656623/)

d20awy Feb 25th 2010 11:34 am

Baggage allowance on flights

Anyone got some tips on how to move our stuff to Vancouver? We're moving for a year so not going to bother with shipping, just want to take 2 holdalls and a bike each. Anyone done the same and can recommend an airline that let you have more luggage allowance (ie. up to 40kg) plus a bike?

Looked at Canadian Affair as they are v cheap flights but then every extra kilo is £10 over 20kg so may be worth paying more for another airline that has more baggage allowance...

Thanks

Lorrden Feb 25th 2010 11:42 am

Re: Baggage allowance on flights

Originally Posted by d20awy (Post 8373977)
Anyone got some tips on how to move our stuff to Vancouver? We're moving for a year so not going to bother with shipping, just want to take 2 holdalls and a bike each. Anyone done the same and can recommend an airline that let you have more luggage allowance (ie. up to 40kg) plus a bike?

Looked at Canadian Affair as they are v cheap flights but then every extra kilo is £10 over 20kg so may be worth paying more for another airline that has more baggage allowance...

Thanks

We are using Canadian Affair to fly to Calgary in April and upgraded to Premium seats for an extra £99 as you get extra baggage allowance extra room etx, might be worth looking into this.

Pammy Feb 25th 2010 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by d20awy (Post 8373977)

Thanks

Bikes are cheap here I wouldn't bother(unless you have those fancy pant expensive ones)cant for the life of me imagine having to hump one of those around at the airport, tell you what, if you are heading my way anytime, if you get one here once you are done with it I'll buy it off you cheap cheap as I have not got one yet!

agr Feb 25th 2010 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8374245)
Bikes are cheap here I wouldn't bother(unless you have those fancy pant expensive ones)cant for the life of me imagine having to hump one of those around at the airport, tell you what, if you are heading my way anytime, if you get one here once you are done with it I'll buy it off you cheap cheap as I have not got one yet!

Cheap bikes are cheap everywhere. Bikes in the mid-range price bracket (~$1000) don't seem to me to be any cheaper here than UK, especially with the exchange rate where it is.

wolstie Feb 25th 2010 1:25 pm

I was looking at Swiss Air for April to Montreal via Zurich (from Manchester). Saw a price of £360, compared to Air Canada at about £560.

Swiss have really generous baggage allowances, 2 x 23kg and hand luggage at 10kg.

readytomove Feb 25th 2010 1:41 pm

alternatively you could use someone like Excess Baggage and have the bikes flowen over separately. You would probably get them about a week after arriving

Deedee13 Feb 25th 2010 1:48 pm

bikes are sports equipment !!!!!!! each person is allowed an item of sports equipment as a luggage substitute on most airlines. can u take one holdall as hand luggage?

lins and Stef McLachlan Feb 25th 2010 1:58 pm

Hi
As a luggage substitute? So plenty of NAKED cyclists and sports fanatics????????????? Where you going!!!!!!????????
Just a bit of fun
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 8374425)
bikes are sports equipment !!!!!!! each person is allowed an item of sports equipment as a luggage substitute on most airlines. can u take one holdall as hand luggage?