Wikiposts

Bad habbits

Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad habbits

Heres a question for you though - What Canadian slang do you have in your vocab now?

I find i say awesome a lot and eh at the end of sentences. I pick up accents pretty easy and although im still as broad in my essex accent as il ever be i find i say CAnadian slang quite a bit, everyone back home comments on it. but then Mr. Vixen is Canadian and i do pick up a lot from him.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:34 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Heres a question for you though - What Canadian slang do you have in your vocab now?

I find i say awesome a lot and eh at the end of sentences. I pick up accents pretty easy and although im still as broad in my essex accent as il ever be i find i say CAnadian slang quite a bit, everyone back home comments on it. but then Mr. Vixen is Canadian and i do pick up a lot from him.

I say "cool" all the time, worked with a Canadian for a couple of years, then in the next place, worked for a Canadian for a couple of years, so just picked it up and it's stayed.

But then I think "disnae matter" in my head now, but would never say it as it doesn't sound right with my Welsh Borders/Shropshire "come 'ere" accent.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

poll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of light

I find when talking to Canadians i go up at the end of a sentence, making it sound more like a question (If you know what i mean?) Otherwise they look at me with a blank stare.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Qfragger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bleech
Our kids have picked up my number one moan about Canadian slang - "Sure"! They used to be quite polite and if you asked them if they want something they replied with "Yes please", but now:-
Me "Hi Kids, fancy Dad taking you out to the park then if you're good I may take you to Toys R Expensive, and maybe Dairy Queen on the way back?"
Kids "Sure"
GGGrrrrrrrrr
Funny how things change, when we arrived in Canada we wanted our Daughter to speak English now we have been back in England for 5 months she has lost almost all her Canadian slang which is a shame because now she sounds common as muck. We are renturning to Canada in a few months and can't wait for her to speak Canadian again...
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:49 am
dont be afraid to reply

cov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to allcov lad is a name known to all

RIGHT
this word right is just damm plain rude..
i heard it all the time in vancouver dont know about anywhere else.
for e.g
i am just going to the store after i have have done this RIGHT.
I FEEL LIKE SAYING no not right .
its like they are so cocksure of them selves .
right :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:05 am
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm working, so I've had to adjust my speech or else some people just WON'T understand me. There are some people, for whom, you have to repeat EVERYTHING.

You have to say 'I guess' if you say 'I suppose so' they don't understand.

They also say 'we don't got ....." instead of 'we don't have......'
drives me nuts that one.

Hubbys biggest beef is 'soccer' instead of 'football', he says we invented the game and the Americans stole the name.
His other one is 'gerrarge', as opposed to 'garridge' which is how we say it back in Brum, although that varies throughout UK too, but here it is different again.

He loves to slip in 'toodle pip' and other wierd words so he can watch people frown, but be too polite to ask, His favourite is 'mozzies'. That gets 'em every time!

Still love it here though, and wouldn;t change a thing!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL thats so funny, my best freind here is originally from Newcastle but lived in Essex where slang is rife, its so funny when we are out we literally have a different language that no one else gets, a canadian can be getting tottally cained by us and not even realise it LOL
Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:32 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=heritagefarmer]

He loves to slip in 'toodle pip' and other wierd words so he can watch people frown, but be too polite to ask, His favourite is 'mozzies'. That gets 'em every time!

Yeah! I like to say woolly pully, ta ta for now and other various phrase I never would have used in England just to see the confused faces.......Oh its the FUNNEST(aaarrrrgghhhh)thing to do!