BACON

Old May 24th 2014, 10:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BACON

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Walmarts (and other places) sell Lou's original double smoked back bacon in vacuum packs. It tastes pretty close to back bacon from the UK but without the streaky bit on the end.

in fact the pea-meal bacon (is the best IMO) it doesn't shrink like the streaky fatty bacon which, when cooked is about 25% of the original weight. On special at $1.99/lb the pea-meal is loaded up with 12 slabs of ~600gram pieces in the freezer. Oldest one is over 18 mths old.

If you can afford the streaky stuff at ~$5/500g pack of pure fat bacon - save the fat & re-use it to fry tomato's and/or the pea-meal bacon
Old May 24th 2014, 11:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I like Canadian bacon. But not that stuff the 'Mercans call Canadian bacon.
British unsmoked bacon tastes odd to me now, almost rancid.
Old May 25th 2014, 2:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

in fact the pea-meal bacon (is the best IMO) it doesn't shrink like the streaky fatty bacon which, when cooked is about 25% of the original weight. On special at $1.99/lb the pea-meal is.....
That sounds a good deal. The streaky stuff is usually available around these parts for $3 for 500g but many of them have at least a third fat. Maple Leaf is a better bet and that's often at Shoppers Drugmart for $3.49.

We have a local store that does what looks like peameal slices but doesn't have the coating. And it's already cooked. At $5.99 a lb, occasionally $5.49, it does look expensive but as you say there is zero shrinkage. While it looks double the cost it actually works out about the same when comparing both plate ready.

As it's cooked, it actually microwaves well and, as Siouxie says it's like 'ordinary' UK back bacon without the streaky bit.

I find a couple of pieces of streaky added to the lean part pretty much does the job.
Old May 25th 2014, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I was never a streaky bacon fan in the UK,but over the past year I've grown to actually prefer the smoked bacon here
Old May 25th 2014, 2:13 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
I was never a streaky bacon fan in the UK,but over the past year I've grown to actually prefer the smoked bacon here
When it's cooked crispy it's nice, like real. Frazzles