BACON

Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BACON

If you want some decent back bacon Caretaker get yourself out to the Jerky Boys butcher shop in Lumsden .
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:51 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spoilt1033
What is with the bacon over here!!! Looking for unsmoked back bacon and cant locate any decent in canada. Thought I had finally found some and bought in bulk. Cost me $30 from a butchers. Turns out it has no taste and tastes like pork loin chops. Lol
<snipped>

Last edited by Siouxie; May 23rd 2014 at 4:29 am. Reason: You know better than posting that, Oink.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:43 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
If you want some decent back bacon Caretaker get yourself out to the Jerky Boys butcher shop in Lumsden .
I don't shop too hard for back bacon but do buy sausage there sometimes on the way to the lake and when 4 of us shared a buffalo we got Jerkey Boys to cut and wrap it for us. Back when it was Borgman's Meat they had the best ever maple breakfast sausages.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

we bought some back bacon- (British style) from Green Pantry in Lacombe, Alberta. The taste was good and the price comparable to the 'streaky' bacon sold in the stores here. Also the Wiltshire Bacon from Superstore / No Frills / Extra Foods is okay.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:20 am
Just Joined

yogiBC is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in Vancouver and I know this butcher that cuts me what I like and Its all smoked....
its very nice and tasty and not of this crappy thin strip stuff ,,,its just like back home...
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spoilt1033
Cost me $30 from a butchers. Turns out it has no taste and tastes like pork loin chops. Lol
Un-cured belly pork tastes just like a chop and not like bacon unfortunately. We had some of this not-quite-bacon recently.

There is a British shop in Chilliwack that does decent back bacon, but it costs $8 for 7 slices.

The British shop in Langley also sells proper-looking bacon, but sadly the people who make it decided that Cinnamon was a good flavouring

That was the worst bacon I have ever tasted. Even worse than Maple.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Un-cured belly pork tastes just like a chop and not like bacon unfortunately. We had some of this not-quite-bacon recently.

There is a British shop in Chilliwack that does decent back bacon, but it costs $8 for 7 slices.

The British shop in Langley also sells proper-looking bacon, but sadly the people who make it decided that Cinnamon was a good flavouring

That was the worst bacon I have ever tasted. Even worse than Maple.
Black Pudding? .. I bought bacon from there once and wasn't too impressed with it, so it kind of put me off trying it at other British stores. I decided to just go without!

The decent bacon at Dickens I'm assuming? or British Empire?
Old Apr 20th 2014, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Black Pudding? .. I bought bacon from there once and wasn't too impressed with it, so it kind of put me off trying it at other British stores. I decided to just go without!

The decent bacon at Dickens I'm assuming? or British Empire?
Sorry, was being too 'general' - I meant Black Pudding, Langley and British Empire, Chilliwack!
Old Apr 20th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Sorry, was being too 'general' - I meant Black Pudding, Langley and British Empire, Chilliwack!
It still surprisies me that Chilliwack manages to support two British stores! .. and a British museum haha!!
Old May 23rd 2014, 3:12 am
Just Joined

graywolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of the foods are different here. It has been a life saver to find a good British store. The prices are higher, but some things such as: English mustard, Daddy's sauce, gravy, REAL chocolate (not that waxy Canadian stuff!) and so on.... I have not found decent bacon yet, so I will stick to sausage with breakfast instead!
Old May 23rd 2014, 4:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Walmarts (and other places) sell Lou's original double smoked back bacon in vacuum packs. It tastes pretty close to back bacon from the UK but without the streaky bit on the end.

Old May 23rd 2014, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

I've found proper unsmoked dry-cured back bacon!

In Abbotsford. Made from the shop's very own piggies.

No smoke. No maple. No cinnamon. Not crumbed. Not ready cooked. No added water and no white 'stuff'.

So little fat on it that they should probably leave a bit more on!

And it doesn't cost an arms and a leg - half a pound (12 slices) costs about $6.50 (which is reasonable as far as I'm concerned!)

I could post the location, but then I would have to shoot you - need to preserve stocks and all that

Last edited by withabix; May 23rd 2014 at 4:47 am.
Old May 23rd 2014, 5:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

In Calgary, MacEwan's sell back bacon but I have to admit I prefer the stuff from Loblaw's because it's cut thinner, $5.99 for 250g. Imported from the US, bizarrely.
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Do I detect one less immigrant or worker gonna be moving back to the UK due to the crapness of Canadian bacon?
Have you discovered the cheese prices yet or the availability of Robinsons squash? Don't get fooled by the Cadburys chocolate its not the same
Haha pretty much all the complaints I had about Canada within 3 months summed up
Old May 24th 2014, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

The Sausage Kitchen in Ottawa's Byward Market quarter has *very* good dry cure bacon.

(it's a brick-and-mortar store, btw, not a market stall)

Their bangers are far from shabby, too... my wife picked some up for me (and forgot the bacon!) on a recent trip. But I've found that scoring decent quality sausages isn't anything like the mission it is to get above-average bacon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.