Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 5:39 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Five bathroomed second home in Cornwall, acre and a half of land ( in Kensington?) Suggestions for Christmasoopa's true identity welcome. Mylene Klass, Christine Bleakley or Bruce Forsyth are my three guesses
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd say that's very unusual. As I said above, most people have put en-suites in if they didn't already have one, and even tiny terraced houses now have 2 baths as standard. Any new build that only had one bathroom just wouldn't sell.

The UK housing market has changed a lot, and en-suites are pretty much required by buyers now, so a proper house with 1 bathroom would be very rare IMO.

I personally don't know anybody with just one bathroom unless you count students, but the majority of my friends/family are families and even in a 2 bed house they have 2 bathrooms.
I found this English housing stock report from 2009.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...25/1937212.pdf

Granted it's a few years old but this part is interesting (note that WC means toilet):

"Looking first at amenities, the percentage of dwellings with a second WC increased from 31% to 41% between 1996 and 2009 and most of this increase was in the private sector. However, in 2009 there were still over a third (35%) of households with five or more people who had just one WC which was located in the bathroom."

So it took 13 years to have the percentage of dwellings with at least 2 toilets (note, that's toilets - not bathrooms) rise from 31% to 41%. It continues elsewhere...

"The number, type and arrangement of WC facilities in dwellings are important to ensure adequate personal hygiene, especially for larger households or those who share these amenities with other households. Across the stock as a whole, 52% of dwellings had a single WC that was located in the bathroom, 7% had a single WC that was located in a separate room and 41% had more than one WC. These proportions varied considerably by tenure, with some 68% of social sector dwellings and 66% of private rented dwellings having a single WC in the bathroom compared with around 45% of those that were owner occupied. Half (50%) of owner occupied dwellings had a second WC compared with just 15% in the local authority sector, Annex Table 3.1"

So in 2009, 59% of dwellings only had 1 toilet (52% with it in the bathroom and 7% with it in a separate room). The other 41% had more than 1 toilet but that doesn't mean more than 1 full bathroom - it's highly likely that some of those are 1 full bathroom plus a separate WC.

Unless something drastic has happened in the last 6 years, I wouldn't say that 1 full bathroom or even just 1 toilet is that unusual. It might even still be true in the majority of cases.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 3rd 2015 at 6:23 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Five bathroomed second home in Cornwall, acre and a half of land ( in Kensington?) Suggestions for Christmasoopa's true identity welcome. Mylene Klass, Christine Bleakley or Bruce Forsyth are my three guesses
Kensington?!? Berkshire I'm afraid.

Definitely not Bruce Forstyth, although his dancing is a lot better than mine

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 3rd 2015 at 6:53 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Unless something drastic has happened in the last 6 years, I wouldn't say that 1 full bathroom or even just 1 toilet is that unusual. It might even still be true in the majority of cases.
I would say it has changed massively in 6 years. When we bought our last house it wasn't unusual to only have one bathroom, but when we came to sell it 6 years later, we knew that an en-suite would be essential if we wanted to sell.

As I said, no builder would even contemplate building houses without at least one en-suite now, as they now people just aren't interested in houses without them. Ditto to eat in kitchens.

The things that used to be essential (a garage, for example) are no longer needed, and times have changed.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it has changed massively in 6 years. When we bought our last house it wasn't unusual to only have one bathroom, but when we came to sell it 6 years later, we knew that an en-suite would be essential if we wanted to sell.

As I said, no builder would even contemplate building houses without at least one en-suite now, as they now people just aren't interested in houses without them. Ditto to eat in kitchens.

The things that used to be essential (a garage, for example) are no longer needed, and times have changed.
I understand that but there's a massive amount of housing stock in the UK that was not built in the last 6 years - public and private sector, owned and rented, different types of dwellings. Given that 59% of dwellings in England had just 1 toilet just 6 years ago, you'll have to forgive me for finding it very difficult to believe your assertion that having 1 bathroom is now "very unusual".
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:58 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Kensington?!? Berkshire I'm afraid.

Definitely not Bruce Forstyth, although his dancing is a lot better than mine
Berkshire still isn't exactly Gateshead (no offence Gatesheaders!)
Ok Ferne Cotton (good luck on the new baby btw) or Peter André ?... Am I getting close?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I only have one friend in the UK that I know has an ensuite, and people see her as "rich". Everyone else, at most, has one bathroom and if they are lucky, a downstairs toilet. So they haven't moved out of unusual yet.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I only have one friend in the UK that I know has an ensuite, and people see her as "rich". Everyone else, at most, has one bathroom and if they are lucky, a downstairs toilet. So they haven't moved out of unusual yet.
My Mother, in the UK, only has one bathroom and, gasp, we, in Canada, only have one! Most of the houses I've had in Canada had one bathroom, even the one my ex sold for close on a million bucks had one bathroom. This has never seemed an issue even when there were five of us and we ate lots of curry and drank lots of beer. I suppose if everyone wears a lot of make up more bathrooms would be useful but I never have.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:23 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same way about British housing, so ugly and so bland to me, oh and too small
While we're generalising, which of these houses would you prefer to live in? Both the same price, similar distance to a city centre, etc. One's British, the other is Canadian.

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 4th 2015 at 4:27 am. Reason: forgot the smile since i'm only half serious
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:33 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Another one. Both similar price, both minutes away from a large city centre. Ones Canadian, the other British. I can't imagine enjoying a picnic on the grass outside the Canadian one. Somebody would nick your cucumber sarnies before you have time to have a sip of your Cider.

Old Aug 4th 2015, 8:34 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Even by Canadian standards 6000'² is more than large, it's huge. Don't know anyone who has or has had that size house, perhaps we mix in the wrong circles. 2500-3000'² seems more typical. Friends had 4500'² and that seemed massive for a family of 4.
Yes, it was too bloody huge! We bought it in NS for $250,000 in 2007. The huse was cheap but then we struggled financially and couldn't afford the up keep or to do anything nice to it. We were so relieved to sell and get it off our hands.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 8:34 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
While we're generalising, which of these houses would you prefer to live in? Both the same price, similar distance to a city centre, etc. One's British, the other is Canadian.

http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS6353...v1064872_1.jpg

http://www.dezrez.com/estate-agent-s...2120&Width=757
I'll have the top one please Bob
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:51 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Neither of those homes in any picture float my boat el Richo.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:53 am
Happy

Originally Posted by el_richo

http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS6353...v1064872_1.jpg

http://www.dezrez.com/estate-agent-s...2120&Width=757
I would assume that they are both expensive, the bottom one is pretty but would be totally out of my budget. We had a Victorian in England, other people saw it as beautiful. We saw it as a too grand money pit. Just not us.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people in our area have an ensuite for every bedroom and a 4 bed is standard. It's ridiculous and a total waste of money + most of the time it's just basic. We only have one ensuite and it's more than enough, but at least it's a nice one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.