Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Old Jul 29th 2015, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to UK then returned to Canada... how was it for you?

Originally Posted by MikeUK
So if traffic is better in Canada ?

Given my opinion, driving standards are much worst and I believe reflected in insurance costs ... ?

The Accident rate IMHO speaks the case better
Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants
Canada 6.0
UK 3.5

Or put another way
Road Fatalities per 100,000 Vehicles
Canada 9.3
UK 6.2
Perhaps winter weather also has an impact on the higher Canadian numbers?

I do agree that general driving standards are better in the UK than in Canada (and the US). For example, I find that drivers in the UK are generally more likely to indicate a lane change. They are also less likely to pull out in front of you and make you brake or swerve. I also find that North American drivers still struggle with roundabouts. Confusion arises when drivers from one province/state are driving in another with different traffic signs and laws e.g. right turn on red (a bad idea IMO - and particularly dangerous for pedestrians I think). Road signage is an area that needs serious improvement across North America.

I think the driving test I took in the UK prepared me for the roads far better than any driving test in North America. My wife and I had to take one in Ontario in the days before you could simply swap your GB licence. I've helped 3 of my kids through the driving test in Maryland. Maryland recently scrapped parallel parking because it was too difficult for too many people and they were failing their driving test on it before they even got out onto the road part.

Parallel parking becomes an untested skill in Maryland - The Washington Post
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:33 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Perhaps winter weather also has an impact on the higher Canadian numbers?
I would agree, I found the winter commute a deal breaker....
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. Things have changed a lot since 1987. I was last in Belfast in Feb this year and the rush hour traffic was shocking pretty much everywhere.
I gave up with the TomTom I borrowed and went to my ancient A to Z which worked fine. I was in Belfast more recently than that.

I don't really get why Belfast supposedly has terrible traffic either, I was in Belfast on a Friday, Birmingham on a Saturday and Bristol on a Sunday and without question Belfast was easier to get around and that was on a Friday morning! God the M32 into Bristol, shoot me now.

At least the traffic on the M1 in Belfast actually moved.

Anyway name me a major road that has changed significantly in Northern Ireland since 1987 because I couldn't find one. Few road widenings on A roads perhaps.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 29th 2015 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
So if traffic is better in Canada ?

Given my opinion, driving standards are much worst and I believe reflected in insurance costs ... ?

The Accident rate IMHO speaks the case better
Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants
Canada 6.0
UK 3.5

Or put another way
Road Fatalities per 100,000 Vehicles
Canada 9.3
UK 6.2
Well you keep quoting dissimilar sources which contradict, first you went with congestion, now you're going with fatalities. We have less congestion and more fatalities.

Read an article in the paper a few years back which said the problem in Canada is that people go off the road in rural areas and it can take a very long time for anyone to find them. Although I'm sure the weather plays a part as well.

All I can say is, I find driving in Canada a lot less stressful than driving in the UK, although we do get a lot less snow than Toronto does.

Admittedly people aren't as good at driving here, but I think that is somewhat to do with the fact they can get away with driving badly here. They don't anticipate. Ooh, what's this, a corner?

I don't think the Alberta driver test is particularly easier than the UK test, we have graduated licensing, etc. It's not like in the US.

Although one difference is that it is definitely easier to keep your licence, you have to get 15 points to get it suspended and then you can get a "restricted" licence for "essential" travel, plus you can easily get the points halved if you say you want to go to court, they usually immediately agree to halve them.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Road signage is an area that needs serious improvement across North America.
I think the signs are better here actually.

In the UK it's very common to have signs obscured by foliage, whereas in the US and Canada they're more often overhead.

Try navigating NI with an A to Z and roadsigns and you will see what I mean.

Another thing that gets up my nose is that exits are arbitrarily numbered in the UK, whereas in the US and Canada they have the mile/km marker number which makes it much easier to know where you are on the road when you exit.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Try navigating NI with an A to Z and roadsigns and you will see what I mean.
We went all around the Antrim coast using only a quick glance at a map in a tourist centre, then over to Donegal to some party town in the Republic. It seemed easy to me, there's only one road so to get lost you have to be going backwards. It's a lot like Canada in that regard.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Moses2013
By the way, taxes are still high on the Isle of Man for most people. The perfect location for people who can't decide if it's Canada or UK is Ireland anyway
Well the trick is to not be "most people". If you earn over £32,000 you're definitely better off on the Isle of Man as there is no 40% bracket.

The real problem is being able to work, because generally you have to get a work permit unless you've lived there for at least 5 years.

Suffice to say I avoid the whole problem by not living in the British Isles, because anywhere I'm going to feel like I've been mugged when I fill up.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by dbd33
We went all around the Antrim coast using only a quick glance at a map in a tourist centre, then over to Donegal to some party town in the Republic. It seemed easy to me, there's only one road so to get lost you have to be going backwards. It's a lot like Canada in that regard.
Well I didn't get lost but I'm here to tell you there are a lot of obscured roadsigns in the UK, I even remember one on the M2 and that's a motorway! We don't have much in the way of trees here which also helps but even in BC I can't honestly remember seeing any obscured signs. But maybe they were just so obscured they were totally invisible.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the trick is to not be "most people". If you earn over £32,000 you're definitely better off on the Isle of Man as there is no 40% bracket.

The real problem is being able to work, because generally you have to get a work permit unless you've lived there for at least 5 years.

Suffice to say I avoid the whole problem by not living in the British Isles, because anywhere I'm going to feel like I've been mugged when I fill up.
True and Isle of Man is certainly cheaper than Jersey (especially housing), but unfortunately most people don't earn the £32,000. Still not a bad place though.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up with the TomTom I borrowed and went to my ancient A to Z which worked fine. I was in Belfast more recently than that.
You're trying to tell me things have improved tremendously since Feb 2015? I still have friends and family who have to commute there. I'll let them know. They'll be pleasantly surprised! Shocked even!

I don't really get why Belfast supposedly has terrible traffic either, I was in Belfast on a Friday, Birmingham on a Saturday and Bristol on a Sunday and without question Belfast was easier to get around and that was on a Friday morning! God the M32 into Bristol, shoot me now.

At least the traffic on the M1 in Belfast actually moved.
Oh I see. You were there 1 day and that's your sample? I was there for 2 weeks in Feb 2015 (a little over 5 months ago) and the rush hour traffic was mostly terrible everywhere.

Anyway name me a major road that has changed significantly in Northern Ireland since 1987 because I couldn't find one. Few road widenings on A roads perhaps.
There just happens to be a website for this very topic:

Northern Ireland Roads Site - current and future new road schemes

Plenty of activity since 1987. The M3 was constructed since then - opened in 1995 (linked to M2) and then expanded 1998 (linked to A2). Although it is short, it is 8 lanes wide as it crosses the river and is one of the top 3 busiest roads in Northern Ireland.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

You're trying to tell me things have improved tremendously since Feb 2015? I still have friends and family who have to commute there. I'll let them know. They'll be pleasantly surprised! Shocked even!
I didn't say that, I said I was there more recently and I could navigate using my old A to Z. And the traffic wasn't particularly bad, except on the A24. My point being we have a difference of opinion.

Oh I see. You were there 1 day and that's your sample? I was there for 2 weeks in Feb 2015 (a little over 5 months ago) and the rush hour traffic was mostly terrible everywhere.
I didn't say I was there one day either, I was there a week in fact, I was just making the comparison between Belfast on a Friday and Birmingham on a Saturday and Bristol on a Sunday and the traffic in Birmingham and Bristol was worse.

Plenty of activity since 1987. The M3 was constructed since then - opened in 1995 (linked to M2) and then expanded 1998 (linked to A2). Although it is short, it is 8 lanes wide as it crosses the river and is one of the top 3 busiest roads in Northern Ireland.
I went down the M3. Strangely I was able to find my way. Like you say, it is quite a short road.

Anyway with the exception of the M3 most of the stuff on that website of major consequence does seem to be mainly road improvement such as widening and dualling, so my A to Z was entirely functional.

Bit of a pointless discussion really, I was there, I drove all over the place, I found my way. As a point of fact, I was able to do it using a 1987 edition of the A to Z! Slightly more subjectively, the traffic wasn't as bad in Belfast.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 31st 2015 at 12:38 am.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 10:37 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just skimmed over most of these posts, and yes, I think we can all agree that traffic in the UK is shite and everyone knows it. It's not even worth arguing that point.
I have actually driven out loads since returning and have got straight through more often than not. This includes a straight through drive up to Scotland and back. As long as you time it right outside of rush hour, it's not too bad.
I have been stuck a couple of times, once I was just sitting for an hour on the M4 as there had been an accident up ahead. DD did my nails

My love for driving returned when I came home. I love the winding country roads and the idyllic villages dotted along them. Get out of the towns and onto the motorways for fantastic countryside views that stretch for miles and miles. The variety in roads, cars & scenery make driving exciting.

I found driving in Canada, and North America in general, very boring.
Long straight roads that go for miles and miles with nothing but trees either side. Put car in cruise control and just sit and try to stay awake.

Yes, it was great to drive 10 minutes to work, and know that it was 10 minutes. Yes, getting into town took 30 minutes and that was lovely.

But why does everyone own a truck? what's with that?

Last edited by Lorry1; Jul 31st 2015 at 10:42 am.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:13 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I have just skimmed over most of these posts, and yes, I think we can all agree that traffic in the UK is shite and everyone knows it. It's not even worth arguing that point.
I have actually driven out loads since returning and have got straight through more often than not. This includes a straight through drive up to Scotland and back. As long as you time it right outside of rush hour, it's not too bad.
I have been stuck a couple of times, once I was just sitting for an hour on the M4 as there had been an accident up ahead. DD did my nails

My love for driving returned when I came home. I love the winding country roads and the idyllic villages dotted along them. Get out of the towns and onto the motorways for fantastic countryside views that stretch for miles and miles. The variety in roads, cars & scenery make driving exciting.

I found driving in Canada, and North America in general, very boring.
Long straight roads that go for miles and miles with nothing but trees either side. Put car in cruise control and just sit and try to stay awake.

Yes, it was great to drive 10 minutes to work, and know that it was 10 minutes. Yes, getting into town took 30 minutes and that was lovely.

But why does everyone own a truck? what's with that?
I own an Accent, for fuel economy. If I had my way I would have a truck
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:14 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

...and a camper trailer... One that has sides that come out on hydraulics and I would drive all over the continent. Or maybe I would have an airstream. The jury is still out on that which is elementary really as I don't have a truck
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's really bad and just normal traffic for a capital. In general the whole of Ireland is pretty much traffic free outside Belfast & Dublin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.