Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

post #45

oink is just having a good day, doing the bit of 'British sense of humour' which most in Canada lose or dont get
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:30 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I don't know what you are talking about or what kind of people do you hang around with. But I left a very well paid and stable corporate position with a top British company to move to Canada. And before you mention location, yes I have lived in most big cities as well as some small towns in England. I love the country and its scenery, but I hated the growing crowdedness and where the country is heading to thanks to the politicians. Also I thought I would have to cope with less snobs if I moved elsewhere

My theory is the world is big so why live in one place. Explore all while you can.
Where is it heading ?

Agree with the explore sentiment.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
but I hated the growing crowdedness and where the country is heading to thanks to the politicians. Also I thought I would have to cope with less snobs if I moved elsewhere
question is, have you changed any or are you still the same person you were when you lived in the UK?

I'd like to get your opinion of your time since being in Canada, on the 'snob' aspect compared to the UK - do you think Canada is more a 'level playing field', folks are more middle class compared to the UK, less or more snobs, or some folks that emigrated to Canada, now have become one?

I'm sure you know folks that fits the mold?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its rare that you get someone who is successful in the UK wanting to emigrate to Canada. Most of them are leaving rubbish jobs, or trying to run away from debts or psychological troubles.
This coming from a Spurs fan. I guess now we know the reason why you left the UK then from that list.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

BenBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Figured i'd throw in my 2 cents here since it's rather relevant right now.

Been in Brandon, MB for nearly 18 months now. Graduated from university in 2013 and had already secured a job over here on a 2 year TWP. First year, no feeling of homesickness, didn't want to leave, found myself a lovely girlfriend. Even the absolutely horrific winter last year didn't get to me!

This year things feel different. The novelty has worn off and I am starting to see things in the (very) cold light of day a little now. Got Provincial Nomination and almost ready to send my PR application off but i've been thinking about home a lot recently.

I agree with some the sentiments that Canada is a ideal place for those who want to chase the immigrant dream. I am in the field (excuse the pun) of agricultural consultancy and the opportunities here are almost endless. I could actually buy my own farm here, land is still priced affordably..compared to the UK anyway. A friend of mine is also an expat and has been here quite a while with no intention of returning - but he doesn't really get on with his family, doesn't see much good in the UK and has clearly prospered far more here than he would have back home.

Last edited by BenBuzz; Feb 19th 2015 at 7:13 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This coming from a Spurs fan. I guess now we know the reason why you left the UK then from that list.
I took a more circuitous and disparate route than most and one that is not over. But at least in the meantime it landed me in a place where I can get fairly decent takeaway delivered and I can use a boat all year round.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:52 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
since being in Canada, on the 'snob' aspect compared to the UK - do you think Canada is more a 'level playing field', folks are more middle class compared to the UK, less or more snobs, or some folks that emigrated to Canada, now have become one?
Well I got to hang around with some of the Old families when I lived in Canada (and nice peopel I might add, I liked them!!)

During that time It ws quite clear there was a class structure, but much much less chance of getting 'in' with the "originals" than I thought !!!

for those not too sure, two brothers from one of these families "owns" the Montreal Canadiens"
Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenBuzz
I agree with some the sentiments that Canada is a ideal place for those who want to chase the immigrant dream. I am in the field (excuse the pun) of agricultural consultancy and the opportunities here are almost endless. I could actually buy my own farm here, land is still priced affordably..compared to the UK e.
Good idea.

Last edited by Shard; Feb 19th 2015 at 7:19 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:41 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's not mandatory to like Canada, or to dislike the UK. Why can't you like or dislike both? I like both, but on the basis I am only wealthy enough to live in one of them, I've chosen Canada.

I quite like France too, but I don't live there either.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:42 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Where is it heading ?
NHS, school system, law and order, rising taxes, lack of new investment in infrastructure, cost vs. quality of life..................................
Old Feb 19th 2015, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Its rare that you get someone who is successful in the UK wanting to emigrate to Canada. Most of them are leaving rubbish jobs, or trying to run away from debts or psychological troubles.
I suppose i was successful in the UK to a point, There was just something inside me that wanted to break the mould and strike out, have an adventure i suppose and i was thinking about it so much at one point i thought WTF get on a plane and go have a look.
A lot of truckers who moved here it was about the trucks but for me they are just a tool to earn a living i wanted the whole life change and to immerse myself in a new country, Being single meant it felt easier and if i failed it would be a lot easier for me to start again in the UK on my own if that makes sense ?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 8:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The point is, if you're happy and contented in the UK you aren't going to go to the expense, time and rigmarole of emigrating to Canada. You must be trying to escape something.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:03 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, the people who really like Canada usually have grown up on a sink-hole council estate in the North with no prospects of a decent job etc. I suppose the endless strip malls, freezing weather and lack of culture is a small price to pay to be away from a Benefits Street type of an environment. But people who have a decent education and have come from a nice village in England probably wouldn't like it here. Its all relative to your circumstances.
I'll be the exception to the "usually" then. I much prefer Canada despite growing up in a really nice area, large house, private school etc
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

The point is, if you're happy and contented in the UK you aren't going to go to the expense, time and rigmarole of emigrating to Canada. You must be trying to escape something.
And the point some of the rest of us are making is that you can be quite happy in the UK and still choose to move, not running away from anything just taking an opportunity that presented itself.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
And the point some of the rest of us are making is that you can be quite happy in the UK and still choose to move, not running away from anything just taking an opportunity that presented itself.
Then why would you move?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.