Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:19 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle
Hold on a minute ... People have the right to express their opinion be it positive or negative, and should not have to justify their reasons for residing in their current location. There are many people here who are living somewhere in support of their partners, and given the choice would rather be back in the UK, so it's not always a purely financial choice.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am one of those who for a period of time lived on one of those Northern council estates and had both parents working. I passed my 11 plus but elected not to go to the posh Grammar school. I did O levels and passed a few and had no interest in going to Uni or study at Oxford, Cambridge, Eton or some other poncey establishment. I never wore a flat cap or clogs and didn't have a whippet or greyhound.
I remember seeing a t shirt in the New Musical Express magazine that had
Join the British Army, travel to exotic places, meet exotic people and kill them so I did minus the killing bit.
Those exotic places consisted of Paderborn (Sennelager), Belfast, Berlin, Belize and London.
I have no desire to go back and live in the UK. Im not saying Canada is better or worse than the UK.
People make choices be they be good, bad or indifferent and made for a variety of reasons. To blame others is pointless as YOU made the decision. Sure we can argue but I was told this or promised that etc etc.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Jeannie in a bottle. Sometimes you have to take the posts with a "pinch of salt". What would be the point of a "forum" if people can't play devil's advocate or be contentious once in a while. Thankfully we see to be blessed with some very level headed moderators on this forum who know when to step in and hold the warring parties apart.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 2:14 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsasmallworld
Well said Jeannie in a bottle. Sometimes you have to take the posts with a "pinch of salt". What would be the point of a "forum" if people can't play devil's advocate or be contentious once in a while. Thankfully we see to be blessed with some very level headed moderators on this forum who know when to step in and hold the warring parties apart.
Three cheers for the mods!
Old Feb 19th 2015, 2:55 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manchester@123
Thanks for the replies guys!
We moved back to Manchester where we were from, same town............. really cant wait to head back now decision made!

Just so daunting that we have to start again, buy a house, find jobs etc etc list is endless but at least we know now what we are going back to. We will return to London Ontario. Unfortunately our PR cards expired whilst we have been back in the UK so we are now having to apply for Travel Documents ..............more form filling!!!
I'm intrigued.

What exactly do you miss about London, Ontario?

What is there that you do not have back in Blighty?
Old Feb 19th 2015, 2:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Your comments reek of snobbery. Two things no-one has any control over whatsoever are where one is born and to whom.
Your posts here suggest you've lived in North America for many years now. So given your numerous comments of a similar ilk, Canada being a shithole etc, when are you going to summon the testicular fortitude to offer/explain to the Canada lovers here why, given your obvious disgust/hatred of Canada, you continue to live/stay in this country when it appears you have the financial wherewithal to return to your beloved England.
It seems hypocritical and probably fraudulent.
You tell him.

That Oink has been running down the land of milk, honey, Hooters girls and sweet potato fries for far too long.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from a small village between Hull & York, I had a great job, car, motorbike etc etc etc.
Some said i was crazy to give all that up but it was something i had been yearning to do for a long time. I searched the internet which was easy as a depot manager booked flights for a visit to a trucking company, liked what i saw but heard enough about the MB winters to come back in February, following august i boarded a plane with a one way ticket. I did settle in Winnipeg as the trucking outfit was in Steinbach and wasn't impressed with that area. Didn't worry me what people say about Winnipeg, most haven't lived there so i ignore those comments. Not that it makes a difference but i am from a small yorkshire village, i have met people from all walks of life here who moved from the UK, I don't think there is a "type" I think some people either get disillusioned with life in the UK or have that "pioneering Spirit" that views the move as an adventure, One they will regret not having if they don't move here and try life in a new country.
Reading through the threads for here there are people from all over the UK and every profession there is trying to move here or already here.
Just a point about Winterpeg, just outside that city there are large numbers of ex pats in houses in 5 acre lots (some all woodland) who love it there, a friend there bought a nearly new four bed house in 5 acres of woodland for $165k when they arrived in 2005 same time as me and wild horses wont get them out of there they love it.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:16 pm
Yo

Juggernaut, it's true that there are all types of Brit in Canada, the distinction being made, however, is that those who 'despise' Britain tend to have not had the best of circumstances in Britain. Most who stay in Canada prefer it to Britain but degrees of preference differ.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You tell him.

That Oink has been running down the land of milk, honey, Hooters girls and sweet potato fries for far too long.
I find that place like Hooters are there to objectify and demean the birds that work there. We’re more sophisticated in Vancouver, we have Earl’s but the crumpet in there don’t wear revealing clothes.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 3:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Juggernaut, it's true that there are all types of Brit in Canada, the distinction being made, however, is that those who 'despise' Britain tend to have not had the best of circumstances in Britain. Most who stay in Canada prefer it to Britain but degrees of preference differ.
Its rare that you get someone who is successful in the UK wanting to emigrate to Canada. Most of them are leaving rubbish jobs, or trying to run away from debts or psychological troubles.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its rare that you get someone who is successful in the UK wanting to emigrate to Canada. Most of them are leaving rubbish jobs, or trying to run away from debts or psychological troubles.
These are the last two places we lived in before we moved to Canada, both in the North of England, and not a miserable rundown council estate in sight.

We had a good life in England, both had great jobs, nice house, new cars, kids were happy. We came because we got the chance to and thought it would be a fun experience. We don't hate the UK (or even dislike it), I don't think it is necessary to be anti one place before you can be pro another. After a couple of years here it looked like we would have to go back to the UK. Due to the relative change in the property market and the exchange rate since we arrived we would have been even better off in the UK than we had been when we left. None of us wanted to go, none of us could say exactly why. I guess it just suits us here.
Attached Thumbnails Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!-northwich.jpg   Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!-villageforwebsite.jpg  
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
These are the last two places we lived in before we moved to Canada, both in the North of England, and not a miserable rundown council estate in sight.
I'm from not far away..Disley/Hayfield area
Old Feb 19th 2015, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I'm from not far away..Disley/Hayfield area
One is Rainow in the Peak District, so yes pretty close to Disley (we lived in High Lane for a little while too, while we were renovating the Rainow property).
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I find that place like Hooters are there to objectify and demean the birds that work there. We’re more sophisticated in Vancouver, we have Earl’s but the crumpet in there don’t wear revealing clothes.

Everyone is aware I'm sure, that there is a Hooters just around the corner from a council estate in Sheffield UK [where else would you put it], and that Earls [with no comparison to the Hooters servers] are being laid off, 'to stop guests being distracted from their food'. Obviously too much drooling taking place.

So now [oink I'm sure will check it out & report back] that Earls has seemingly replaced the female staff with 'aged, over 65 male servers' - I wonder....?

http://www.thevancouvermoon.com/late...female-servers

Only in Canada eh!

Last edited by not2old; Feb 19th 2015 at 5:11 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 5:09 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you are talking about or what kind of people do you hang around with. But I left a very well paid and stable corporate position with a top British company to move to Canada. And before you mention location, yes I have lived in most big cities as well as some small towns in England. I love the country and its scenery, but I hated the growing crowdedness and where the country is heading to thanks to the politicians. Also I thought I would have to cope with less snobs if I moved elsewhere

My theory is the world is big so why live in one place. Explore all while you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.