Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Old Feb 21st 2015, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK for 9 months and decided we made the wrong choice!

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle

People, I imagine, will always be happiest if they live where their heart is, and there is no right or wrong answer to that!
Think you summed that up perfectly!
Old Feb 21st 2015, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenBuzz

but i've been thinking about home a lot recently.

has clearly prospered far more here than he would have back home.
What is everybody's definition of "home"? I think that makes a big difference as to whether you feel settled or not. Home to me changed the day I boarded that plane, Canada became mine!
Old Feb 21st 2015, 2:03 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
What is everybody's definition of "home"? I think that makes a big difference as to whether you feel settled or not. Home to me changed the day I boarded that plane, Canada became mine!
Good point.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely agree. I was talking the other day to someone that had been here for 40 years, they said they were going home for a visit. I could only think how sad it was that they had lived their entire adult life in a place they didn't consider home.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 3:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I absolutely agree. I was talking the other day to someone that had been here for 40 years, they said they were going home for a visit. I could only think how sad it was that they had lived their entire adult life in a place they didn't consider home.
Yes, that's a curious mindset. I suppose the only rationale is when one partner wants to stay, and the other acquiesces but deep down wishes to be in the former (home) country.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What is everybody's definition of "home"?
Where I live. Always has been.

Even back in Bristol when people at work would ask if I was going home for xmas I'd say, "no I'm going to my mum's for a couple of days" in another part of Bristol, about a half hour walk away.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, that's a curious mindset. I suppose the only rationale is when one partner wants to stay, and the other acquiesces but deep down wishes to be in the former (home) country.
I think you are all coming from a rather privileged perspective. Ask all the millions of economic migrants across western countries where their heart lies? Ask them why are they living in a country they don't emotionally call home?
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:24 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Oink
I think you are all coming from a rather privileged perspective. Ask all the millions of economic migrants across western countries where their heart lies? Ask them why are they living in a country they don't emotionally call home?
If they are economic migrants, they have chosen their new home, and should be thankful.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If they are economic migrants, they have chosen their new home, and should be thankful.
They are probably thankful that they can eat, have shelter and provide education for their children but I suspect they are emotionally attached to the places where they grew up. You find that with people from Canadian prairie cities. The ones I've met in Vancouver, all seem bang on all the time how amazing places like Regina are, and what a wonderful places they are to live and their wear their Canadian football team colours as a cultural symbol of their homeland but of course they all live and work here in the warm.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:40 pm
Yo

They are probably thankful that they can eat, have shelter and provide education for their children but I suspect they are emotionally attached to the places where they grew up. You find that with people from Canadian prairie cities. The ones I've met in Vancouver, all seem bang on all the time how amazing places like Regina are, and what a wonderful places they are to live and their wear their Canadian football team colours as a cultural symbol of their homeland but of course they all live and work here in the warm.
Yeah...I suppose there's something in that.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

my heart lies is Canada, my home is Canada and as for that place over the pond, its somewhere I visit now and then. I'd be at home anywhere I could lay my head & get a good nights sleep.

What about you oink, where is your emotion home?
Old Feb 21st 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by not2old
my heart lies is Canada, my home is Canada and as for that place over the pond, its somewhere I visit now and then. I'd be at home anywhere I could lay my head & get a good nights sleep.

What about you oink, where is your emotion home?
The Academy, one that preferably has a large treelined and grassy quadrangle.

Last edited by Oink; Feb 21st 2015 at 4:56 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

BenBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true, I usually always say 'home' in reference to where I am living. Guess I am just not feeling especially settled at the moment, hence the change of wording!
Old Feb 21st 2015, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I was talking the other day to someone that had been here for 40 years, they said they were going home for a visit. I could only think how sad it was that they had lived their entire adult life in a place they didn't consider home.
Not familiar with that concept. We don't have any posters on this forum who convey that feeling
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to the US in August 1967, 5 days after we married. OH had 1 year left on an 18 month contract.

Towards the end of the year, we realised we were not ready to go "home" ............. yes, we did call it that.

So he applied for jobs elsewhere in the US and in some parts of Canada. He got what turned out to be the ideal job here in Vancouver.

We settled down, and took our first holiday back in England in 1973 .............. those were the days when you had to go Vancouver -> Toronto -> London or Manchester. AND had to walk down the steps from the plane to the tarmac.

After 6 weeks of travelling around the UK, to some fabulous areas ........... many of which we had previously lived in ............ we flew back to Canada.

Walking down the steps of the plane in Toronto, one of us turned to the other and said "Isn't it good to be back home?"

Then we both burst out laughing because we were only half-way.

But the realisation that we now considered Canada to be home, led us to take the steps to becoming Canadian citizens as soon as possible. We were swearing allegiance to the Queen in December 1973.

Unlike so many, we gave up our English passports ..............

Neither of us has ever been sorry that we left the UK and took up residency in Canada.

If we had to leave Canada for any reason ............ we would most certainly not go back to Canada. We'd go further, to wither NZ or parts of OZ .............. both countries in which we have spent considerable amounts of time.

And yes, we both had very good jobs in the UK, both lived in beautiful parts of the country before we married, and would have been able to pick and choose where to live in the event that we had stayed there, or gone back there.

But England is not the country that we grew up in, it had changed even in the 5 years between 1967 and 1972

The friends we had have all moved from where we and they used to live, and are spread around the country. We still have contact with many of them ............... but none of them live close to each other!

This is the country that we settled in, that has been good to us ................ and that we proudly support, on most occasions anyway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.