Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Baby strollers in the snow

Baby strollers in the snow

Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:53 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby strollers in the snow

Originally Posted by willmore
As people have mentioned there are many alternatives to getting around in the snow, there is no need for you to be housebound!

Seriously think of getting a sled to help yourself get out in the winter. It will do both of you good to be out in the fresh air! I used a sled for both my kids (now 3 and 5) when they were younger, when we visited Ontario at xmas and it worked very well!
When I was younger I used to get taken around in a sledge cause I was too lazy to walk. lol
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
When I was younger I used to get taken around in a sledge cause I was too lazy to walk. lol

And you werent taken behind the woodshed for a good whoopin?

Is "sledge" the british version of "sled" - never seen it before?

Ive seen "sledge" as in "sledge hammer".

Last edited by willmore; Jul 29th 2006 at 10:41 am.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

kayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant futurekayh has a brilliant future

Hi,

My answer is nothing to do with snow, but I used the Mamas and Papas (think its Peg Pegero over here) P3 Pramette. It has a car seat that clips onto the buggy (great for trips round shopping centres /supermarket when baby asleep) and converts from a pram (when you dont want to clip in car seat) to a buggy when baby is older. The car seat was great because if he was sleeping when we got home, i would plonk him in the hall in it and leave him there til he woke up rather than risk the transfer. You'll do anything to not wake them up!

Still using the pram now (he is 20 months) so I feel I got my monies worth.
BUT only has little wheels so probably wont go in snow.

Re: sleeping flat issue, back in the Uk they recommend a max of about 2 hours a day in the car seat because they arent flat. But my son never spent that much time per day.

Last edited by kayh; Jul 29th 2006 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Originally Posted by kayh
Re: sleeping flat issue, back in the Uk they recommend a max of about 2 hours a day in the car seat because they arent flat. But my son never spent that much time per day.
Hi. THanks for your help. Yes, I read that too, about the two hours in the car seat. I can't picture the baby in it for more than that, but it is something to remember. I don't think they mention that here cause I only saw it on European web sites.

Luckily, by coincidence, I am visiting Minneapolis next week and so can go to the Mall of America (second biggest shopping centre in the world!) so I can look at prams to my heart's content! Can't wait! I am sure I will find the perfect pram that will solve all my/baby's travelling needs!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:49 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
14 years for me, and neither do I

Well, I know a few things - like where to get Persil but I'm learning all the time - I hope)!

WHERE DO YOU GET PERSIL? .....Come on give the secret up!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, not cheap I only got it because the airline said I could have anything I wanted to replace the (slightly) damaged one, so I just walked into Sears at the Eaton Centre and chose the most expensive one. Didn't care about its features, the plan was to sell it on eBay UK as I didn't think I'd seen that one in the UK. But then when I took it out the box to have a look, I fell in love and my son wouldn't go in his old one...

The tyres really are great, and the suspension too. I haven't done real off-pavement with it but I'm sure it could. No problems in the snow but again, I haven't walked through drifts with it, just average snowy suburban streets and parks. People in the UK would stop and ask me where I got it, and say what a plush ride it looked!

I didn't find the basket as bad as my other one (Jeep 4 wheeler), because the seat doesn't recline as far as other ones. I haven't ever tried accessing the basket with the seat in the facing-mummy position as my son was too old for that by the time we got it. That might be a problem as the footplate may overhang the access to basket? Not sure, will try it and report back!

It is big though, really big. Doorways in the UK could be a squeeze at times, but here they're no problem. Folded down it neatly fitted into the boot of a Grand Cherokee, and only just fits into our Kia Sorento boot here, that gives you an idea of its size. But having said that, the seat comes off with a couple of clicks, the wheels all release instantly by pushing the central button and all that cuts it down a lot in size... but not something you'd want to do on every car trip.

Have fun at MOA - be sure to pop into Pottery Barn Kids, they don't sell prams there but they've got gorgeous baby stuff. Do remember where you parked the car though I made a mental note that we were in a level called after one of the New England states but unfortunately couldn't remember which. I had sore feet but much improved geography after that day

Edit: There's a huge Babies R Us just near MOA - it's in Bloomington on the road towards the airport and MOA, and I can't remember the number of it... 485? Something like that. Might be worth a visit.

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
This Quinny Freestyle (with car seat) is the only one I have found so far with a hand brake. It's 480$ at Sears!! So much for the idea of buying cheap and often!! How good is it in the snow?? I see you are in Winnipeg and, from my memory of living there years ago, it gets a lot of snow (and it's bloody cold in the winter!! Absolutely lovely summers though--can't beat the prairies for that!). Anyway, do you find it okay in the snow? Is the storage basket easy to access (reading some websites, this seems to be a big issue). Can it fold down easily?? It has the feature of being able to leave the car seat base in the car and just removing the top bit, which appeals. And those look like pretty substantial tyres. I would love to go to Sears to see one, but Sears is a long way away and I might have to just order it and send it back if I hate it. Your feedback is greately appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jul 29th 2006 at 4:52 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
There's a huge Babies R Us just near MOA - it's in Bloomington on the road towards the airport and MOA, and I can't remember the number of it... 485? Something like that. Might be worth a visit.
Thanks for your comments about the pram. I hope I can try one of these out at the MOA. And thanks for noting the Babies R Us--I'll go there for sure! And to think my friend whom I am visiting in Minneapolis has plans for us to attend shows and art exhibits, while I'm determining which baby shops I can see in the shortest amount of time!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

How much is it worth?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
And you werent taken behind the woodshed for a good whoopin?

Is "sledge" the british version of "sled" - never seen it before?

Ive seen "sledge" as in "sledge hammer".
Yep.

And it's also used to describe what Aussie cricketers say to the opposition to put them off when batting or bowling.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hey, d'reckon I could set up in business shipping Persil then?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yonk
Hey, d'reckon I could set up in business shipping Persil then?
Unfortunately you can't. It seems Miele have the monopoly on importation of Persil into Canada.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Calgal
Unfortunately you can't. It seems Miele have the monopoly on importation of Persil into Canada.
Do they limit supply then? Is it hard to come by?

Oh well, if anyone wants a grey import....
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do they limit supply then? Is it hard to come by?

Oh well, if anyone wants a grey import....
I don't think they limit it (never had trouble getting any anyway), but it does eliminate competition; hence giving them control of the price! (About $50.00 a box!) (but it's worth it, and still cost's less than the regular stuff and is SO much better IMO)
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Yep.

And it's also used to describe what Aussie cricketers say to the opposition to put them off when batting or bowling.

Live and learn every day!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:00 am
Just Joined

rockchick123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Baby strollers in the snow

I found the JEEP make to be the best. The wheels are large and Knobbly and work well in the snow. I also had a Fisher Price one that I loved. Again it has large wheels and both are light. I bought the JEEP in the US but I am sure you can buy them here.

I tried the car seat/ stroller kind but I found that I had to get the stroller part out and then I had to get the car seat with baby out and attach it to the stroller part. It is not a smooth process and depending on how your baby sleeps it could wake your baby anyway. I also found that it was not easy to manouever around as the strollers were.

Grabbing the stroller and then unbuckling your baby to put her in it is no big deal. After a few trips you will be an old pro, don't worry.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
Hmmm, I was thinking of the three wheel kind but I will go back to the four wheels as what you say makes sense. I appreciate also what you say about not disturbing the baby moving it from car seat etc.--no one wants to wake a sleeping baby, I know that by instinct. But I have read on a dutch site that only in North America do they use these things cause it isn't considered great to have babies in the folded position (as in the car seat attachment) for very long. Babies are better off flat, they said on this site. I guess it depends on how often the baby is getting into the car. Often, like to day care every day, and the combo thing is a good bet, I would think, but if only once or so a week, moving baby to a car seat might not be a big deal.

So many things to think about! And this is just the damn stroller!!

Yes, alright, 35 pounds isn't that big of a deal, but every review I have seen so far mentions what a pain it is to have a heavy bulky stroller. But again, if it is only in the car once a week or so....

Those Chariot things look frightening, I must say. Seems a bit more off road than I was thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.