Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Baby Formula - best Canadian equivalent to Aptamil

Baby Formula - best Canadian equivalent to Aptamil

Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Baby Formula - best Canadian equivalent to Aptamil

Hi Everyone

Have been using Aptamil baby formula for my 4 month old which family and friends have brought over on trips from UK. Aptamil is not available to buy in canada and buying from expat websites is too expensive and no family coming out for a while so need to change to something over here.

Does anyone have any experience of changing baby over from Aptamil to a Canadian formula and which one is best equivalent?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lucy
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice
Default Re: Baby Formula - best Canadian equivalent to Aptamil

I've just started looking into this also. Having done a search on here, and just generally on google, it seems that a lot of people have gone with the Nestle Good start formulas. I don't know how comparable they are specifically to Aptimil though. We're using SMA.

The general opinion seems to be that the Nestle stuff is an easily digestible formula and seemed to have similar nutritional qualities to some of the uk ones. Someone else mentioned that they use Similac as they heard that's what the hospitals use for newborns.

I suppose if you want to know what's similar it might be a case of comparing the ingredients?

Others have mentioned that the cost of formula is about double the UK price - and have suggested that a Walmart own brand or Presidents Choice might be an option.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:13 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We used Good Start here in Canada and then switched to Aptamil on a visit to the UK and my daughter didn't seem to mind at all.

Perhaps you could mix half and half to start with so your baby can get used to it a bit first?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I solemnly nursed my daughter till she was about 4 months and then she got formula for the night. I used the Hipp organic in the UK and my daughter hated every one I tried in Canada apart from the Shoppers Drug mart own brand with lower iron and no omega 3's. The iron level, even tho stated as lower is still comparable to the UK ones and all the others with omega 3,6 etc in did smell a bit fishy, so I can't blame her that she didn't like them. And it was cheaper than the rest
Old Sep 21st 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

andrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really niceandrew & linda is just really nice

We used Enfamil A+. Our son was in NICU for the first week and that's what the nurses used to feed him while he was there so I carried on using it when we brought him home.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for the info.

For once in Canada, there is too much choice!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

lounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to all

I tried every babymilk here no joke !!! Aptamil was the only milk that suited my 8 week old,I had used it in u.k for my first son) so i brought 3 months worth shipped over at a time, worked out the same price as buying formula here..
Old Sep 24th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

SCORPION is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same position as you, my son (5months) was on Aptamil since weaning - i brought a large stash from my last visit - which has now finished. So i tried him with Nestle Goodstart and so far so good...

my only peeve with it is that each scoop is 60ml and he has about 200ml per feed so we there is a lot of waste...

i called milupa (manufacturer) and they could not provide details of any possible equivalent for Aptamil in Canada.

I also have a 22mth old who was on Aptamil till she was 1, but she had the Heinz formula which was good too...

hope this helps
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

We had a free sample when the baby was born all the shops have it London drugs super drug walmart all have it