Reload this Page >

BABCP registered CBT Therapist hoping to move

BABCP registered CBT Therapist hoping to move

Old Mar 28th 2022, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Rachael2022 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BABCP registered CBT Therapist hoping to move

Hi there

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

I'm currently a BABCP registered CBT therapist in the UK working for an IAPT (NHS) service. I wondered if anyone has managed to make the move to Canada with this qualification, and if so, how/what did you do to make it happen?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th 2022, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

farheen56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BABCP registered CBT Therapist hoping to move

Hi I am a trainee CBT therapist on an accredited master's program looking to do the same. I have found a few threads on here however have made no progress since. It seems really confusing. The forum won't let me post the links to the threads but they are entitled

Cognitive Behavioural Therapist working in BCCounsellor/psychotherapist moving to Canada
if you make any progress on the issue it would be great to share

Thanks
Farheen
Old Sep 6th 2022, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachael,

I'm a CBT Therapist working in an IAPT service and I'm also hoping to make the move.

When thinking about moving to Canada, and I'm sure this applies for many jobs, you have to be more specific. Each province has its own rules/regulations. For counselling (the umbrella term used for all types of talking therapies in Ca), it will depend on whether that province has regulated the profession. For example, Ontario has regulate the profession and everyone practicing must be registered with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario. In BC, however, there is no regulation, so anyone can call themselves a counsellor and practice as one (much like in the UK). Alberta are in the process of regulating things. There are voluntary organisations, the BCACC, for example, whom some employers request that you are registered with, much like the NHS do re BABCP.

There doesn't appear to be an IAPT equivalent, though there are some services that provide online time-limited CBT interventions, such as 'Lifeworks'. On the whole, you would be working for a private company, or for yourself. I believe public health services do offer limited mental health support, but not to the extent we do here in the UK. The pay is comparable, better in some instances, but then you have to factor in the cost of living etc. I think it would be equitable with what is paid here.

As you probably already know, you would have to take a 'leave of absence' with the BABCP for up to two years. After that, you would have to re-apply for accreditation. I have asked if we can work for a UK-based company whilst living abroad but they state that to keep your accreditation, you must be living in the UK.They are looking in to this, though.

So in short, to work as a CBT Therapist in Canada wholly depends on which province you are looking to move to. I suggest looking in to the criteria for each regulatory body, and determine whether you believe you meet it. After that, research job opportunities and try to find someone who has made the same move (I've looked but haven't found anyone!).

Good Luck!
Old Oct 29th 2022, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute

BC has said it is to regulate counselling professions, amongst others - https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/...medium=twitter
Old Oct 30th 2022, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdonald1987
BC has said it is to regulate counselling professions, amongst others - https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/...medium=twitter
I'm surprised that it's not already regulated given the list of other professions that are. How does it make sense to have hairdressers a regulated profession yet not counsellors?!
Old Oct 31st 2022, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm surprised that it's not already regulated given the list of other professions that are. How does it make sense to have hairdressers a regulated profession yet not counsellors?!
Right?! It'll probably mean a little more work for me but at least there should be some strict guidance on who/what is required, rather than this 'anything goes' way of doing things. And of course, it's definitely in the best interest of clients that those offering these services are vetted and accredited. I'll keep this thread updated of anything else that comes out for those interested.