Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

B+B or Motel - best and least expensive place to stay in Nova Scotia on reccie

B+B or Motel - best and least expensive place to stay in Nova Scotia on reccie

Old May 7th 2008, 8:06 am
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of
Default B+B or Motel - best and least expensive place to stay in Nova Scotia on reccie

Hi All

I am checking into places to stay when i come across on my reccie in September.

I am thinking somewhere between Dartmouth and Truro, as I want to meet with the RDAs in both Halifax and Colchester County.

I am wondering, as i am on my own, whether it would be best to stay in a bed and breakfast or a motel. Are motels safe and are there any on highway 102, which i think is the main route? or would a B+B be my best bet, funds are limited so do not think a hotel would be affordable?
I am also allergic to pet hair/dander, so need a place to stay without cats etc...

Any ideas welcome.

Emmjay
Old May 7th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B+B or Motel - best and least expensive place to stay in Nova Scotia on reccie

I find that B & B's are not as cheap as we find them in the UK. You will probably not save much and some motels may be cheaper.

Cheaper still could be a rented cottage/apartment, but more for if there were a few of you.

I remember last year someone camping on a recce. A very cheap option for a lone traveler.

Last edited by destinationnovascotia; May 7th 2008 at 9:05 am.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:13 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B+B or Motel - best and least expensive place to stay in Nova Scotia on reccie

I would always go with a Motel if in town because they will give you a comptetitive rate (they can afford to), you have a basic standard expectation and you can not *mingle* if you feel like it.

Does that speak volumes about me???
Old May 7th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

The universities offer accomodation during the summer months at very reasonable rates. Not sure if they're available in September, but we're planning to use them in early July. I'll see if I can find a link.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
The universities offer accomodation during the summer months at very reasonable rates. Not sure if they're available in September, but we're planning to use them in early July. I'll see if I can find a link.
Great call! we stayed at Dal, for 2 weeks, when we landed 2 years ago for $25.00 per night, just off spring garden road, basic room with ensuite facilities, wifi internet everything you need.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

have a look on here

should give you plenty of ideas
Old May 7th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Try this link for Dalhousie - the rates are great!

http://www.housing.dal.ca/default.asp?mn=1.5.72.84

Good Luck

Liffy
Old May 7th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Mount St vincent also offers the same type of summer accomadation.