Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Average Living costs in Toronto Canada

Average Living costs in Toronto Canada

Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Ricicles is just really niceRicicles is just really niceRicicles is just really niceRicicles is just really niceRicicles is just really niceRicicles is just really niceRicicles is just really niceRicicles is just really nice
Default Re: Average Living costs in Toronto Canada

The first time I went into a supermarket in Canada I almost had a seizure at how expensive things were (valuemart in cottage country mind) - still not sure as to why this is (maybe minimum wage being relatively high?) no frills and the like don't seem to be much better either for pricing

Found a receipt in my wallet from tesco and compared some prices (sad I know) and it was on rough estimates using 1:1.6 about 40% more expensive

Apart from steak! I think that was about the only thing I found cheaper

Also while we're on the subject do the supermarkets in Canada sell cordial?? I was trying to find some one day and my GF said the only equivalent they have is powder you put in water?

Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:23 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Where are you finding a 1 bed around college for that price?
My one bed batchelor basement unit rents for $600 per month. I only rent to friends though, but the market rate would only be $800-$900.... This price also includes hydro, TV and Internet.

I hasten to add that this is a pretty small basement, without much in the way of natural light.

I price it this way, to make sure that the rental income doesn't have a significant effect on my tax rate, as I can write off 1/3 of my mortgage, hydro, TV, internet and municipal taxes, as well as 1/3 of home improvement costs and 100% of basement improvement costs. As my marginal rate of tax stands at around 43%ish, the $400+ I can write off on bills alone each month, goes more than far enough (when you add in home improvements) to mean that the money I earn from the basement is tax free. And often it means I get a rebate. For example, I've had to do about $10,000 worth of work to the basement this year, all of which is deductible from my taxes.....

Last edited by Pretty Flowers; Jan 20th 2012 at 6:35 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ricicles
The first time I went into a supermarket in Canada I almost had a seizure at how expensive things were (valuemart in cottage country mind) - still not sure as to why this is (maybe minimum wage being relatively high?) no frills and the like don't seem to be much better either for pricing

Found a receipt in my wallet from tesco and compared some prices (sad I know) and it was on rough estimates using 1:1.6 about 40% more expensive

Also while we're on the subject do the supermarkets in Canada sell cordial?? I was trying to find some one day and my GF said the only equivalent they have is powder you put in water?

She right!!! its called Crystal Lite and its horrible. Its overly sweet and pure sugar. You can find corial or squash in some stores like 'superstore/loblaws' and 'no frills' but its crazy expensive. A small bottle of Ribena is $9 - and its the REALLY small one.

Your next best bet is to find a British Speciality store and buy it from there..
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:36 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
She right!!! its called Crystal Lite and its horrible. Its overly sweet and pure sugar. You can find corial or squash in some stores like 'superstore/loblaws' and 'no frills' but its crazy expensive. A small bottle of Ribena is $9 - and its the REALLY small one.

Your next best bet is to find a British Speciality store and buy it from there..
.... actually Crystal light is sugar free. Its drinkable on the Atkins diet... Some of the flavours are actually not bad. Are you thinking of Kool Aid or Gator Aid?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:39 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Also while we're on the subject do the supermarkets in Canada sell cordial??
Many do - http://www.nationalimporters.com/Ite...temNbr=2136091
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
.... actually Crystal light is sugar free. Its drinkable on the Atkins diet... Some of the flavours are actually not bad. Are you thinking of Kool Aid or Gator Aid?
thats the one! my bad, must of just been thinking that one because its the one the misses always has in the house. still nasty though! Wish they had robinsons orange squash here, i love that stuff so much!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:17 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
thats the one! my bad, must of just been thinking that one because its the one the misses always has in the house. still nasty though! Wish they had robinsons orange squash here, i love that stuff so much!
I miss Ribena, but I preferred the sugar free option, and I'm not paying $9 a time for the full sugar version...
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
My one bed batchelor basement unit rents for $600 per month. I only rent to friends though, but the market rate would only be $800-$900.... This price also includes hydro, TV and Internet.
So what is it? A 1 bed or a bachelor.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Is it? Or does it just look more in Dollars?

A big bag of milk, like three 1ltr bags in one is 5.50 ish in dollars but in gbp that would be 4.25 ish £1.50 for a litre of milk aint far off, is it? Was a quid n a bit three to four years ago
magnumi

My wife was not happy when she went from paying 25p/litre for fresh milk to 40p/litre in a year. Best we can get is 2 litre bottle of milk for 80p. I was back in Ontario a couple of years ago and was surprised at food prices, even using the stated UK/Canada purchase Power ratio of 0.95.

We have a lot of European visitors would load their cars up with food and booze in Dover on the return trips.

Hudd
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:23 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

So what is it? A 1 bed or a bachelor.
Batchelor then I would guess...
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you finding a 1 bed around college for that price?
viewit.ca? A quick search shows this:

http://viewit.ca/vwExpandView.aspx?Vit=84853

Agreed, 1100 is low end, but it seems possible.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 1:37 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Some of these costs are out. Utilities, more like $400 p/month but perhaps that includes contents/liability insurance. Groceries more like $150-$200 per week. I think the rent in the downtown area is probably okay but budget more like $1,500.
wow and people say vancouver is expensive! that's way more than i paid renting downtown in vancouver.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 1:39 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

But then, the Canadian dollar has gained about 30 odd percent against the pound.....all relative really.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 3:11 am
Just Joined

shaunew is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Korea right now, but will be moving to Calgary in the next 6 months. Here we have to pay $2.50 for a single small potato, $3.50 for a liter of milk, $2.20 for a half a loaf of almost decent bread.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

canada4home is an unknown quantity at this point

For me it was per month

$825 - bachelor bloor/spadina
$80 - cable tv and internet
$200 - food, cheese and milk is more expensive there
$40 - mobile phone plan, pay as you go is way too expensive there, you're charged for incoming calls too.
$25 - laundry

i think the price of a weekly subway/streetcar pass is $35 or $120/month. i used a bicycle myself and the odd streetcar for nights out.

price of a pint ranges from about $5.50 to $8. and it is common to tip a dollar with each pint.

in the beer store the cheapest can you can get is $1.75 for muck, up to $2.50 for a heineken, 10c return charge with each can or bottle.

like someone mentioned kensington market is great for fresh produce. A cheese shop there had my favourites from back home. Cheesemagic i think it was called.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.