Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice
Default Re: Australia to Canada (originally fom the UK) - anyone done it!?!?!?!

Originally Posted by Bexxid

If anyone has done it before would we apply as Australian citizens or as UK citizens? Looks as though the apps through Sydney go faster.

Cheers,
Hi, I moved from NZ to Canada under family class.

Just to clarify... You apply through the immigration office closest to where you live... So as a Brit in NZ I had to apply through Sydney (My medicals went through Singapore!)

Weather you are Brit or Aussie doesn't matter as you would have to declare both anyway.

Just happens the Sydney is waaaay faster than London. London suffers due to the size of it's catchment zone (includes India, etc) and the amount of fraudulent applications it receives.

Good luck!
Old Sep 12th 2012, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

Christmasoompa nailed all the visa information, I'd say its a no-go for you unfortunatlely if having your working Mum tagging along is a must.

The cold weather really isn't a major issue as you adapt super fast - some winter tires and clothing and you are on your way really.

I have found the leave issue to be hugely dependent on the company you work for. Personally I have much more leave in Canada then I did in Oz - 7 vs 4 weeks respectively, but my company does not typically allow you to carry leave balances over from one year to the next.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 5:06 am
Just Joined

timelesschick is an unknown quantity at this point

we are just in the process of getting together all the documents etc to move to Canada.... I have been in Aus for 6 years and my partner for 9... we are really looking forward to the change and the fact that you are closer to the UK in Canada. We are living in western australia and find it really isolated.. the fact that we will be able to go to the USA is also appealing too. We are thinking of Alberta or Cranmore in BC?? Any advice would be great, looking at the cost of living Canada seems alot cheaper than over here in WA which the prices are now ridiculous!!! Cant wait, and my 3 year old keeps asking when are we going to go and make snowmen haha
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timelesschick
we are just in the process of getting together all the documents etc to move to Canada.... I have been in Aus for 6 years and my partner for 9... we are really looking forward to the change and the fact that you are closer to the UK in Canada. We are living in western australia and find it really isolated.. the fact that we will be able to go to the USA is also appealing too. We are thinking of Alberta or Cranmore in BC?? Any advice would be great, looking at the cost of living Canada seems alot cheaper than over here in WA which the prices are now ridiculous!!! Cant wait, and my 3 year old keeps asking when are we going to go and make snowmen haha
Do you mean Cranbrook BC or Canmore Alberta? There is no "Cranmore"

And if you don't want isloated, I don't think either of those would suit you. They're both a good few hours drive from major cities and both are small towns. I would also think you're going to struggle to find work in either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranbro...itish_Columbia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canmore,_Alberta
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:24 am
Just Joined

timelesschick is an unknown quantity at this point

hi dorothy ahaha i liked the look of both so thought i would combine them and make a new town lol... I think it was Cranbrook, my OH has been in touch with a potential employer over there so fingers crossed he will be able to sort something when we eventually get there... I really like the look of Alberta as we love the country and our horses, therefore the horsey stuff there really apeals.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

hi dorothy ahaha i liked the look of both so thought i would combine them and make a new town lol... I think it was Cranbrook, my OH has been in touch with a potential employer over there so fingers crossed he will be able to sort something when we eventually get there... I really like the look of Alberta as we love the country and our horses, therefore the horsey stuff there really apeals.
Honestly, if you think south of Perth is isolated you're going to really find Cranbrook difficult.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Honestly, if you think south of Perth is isolated you're going to really find Cranbrook difficult.
Yeah, isn't it five hours' drive to Calgary? Through the Crowsnest Pass...by comparison, Bunbury doesn't seem so bad.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

I think that Dorothy means that Perth is isolated from the rest of Australia. This is quite a common complaint from people in WA!! it is a 5 hour flight to reach the other cities. The economy is really strong there thanks to mining, and lots of people are moving there from the Eastern cities such as Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane for that reason. Have moved from Adelaide to Brisbane and now travel regularly to Sydney and Melbourne, whilst still having Brisbane with its great climate. Feel pretty connected and happy, just missing family in the UK hence the thought about giving Canada a try. It is also much more connected to countries that share a Western culture despite Asia being good trading partners for Australia and being great holiday destinations, it remains easier to travel and relocate with the US and Europe as a Brit than with Asian countries. Not any issue with the countries our their residents, but know my limitations around adaptability.

Thanks
Old Sep 15th 2012, 3:25 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
i had hardley say it's as isolated as perth...although it's less of a centre, so it's more isolated in that sense. The place is a bit of a shit hole really, although it's in a stunning setting. The climate is pretty decent too and houses would be cheap. I go there a couple of times a year for work.

The Kootenay region is a beautiful piece of the world....you have to be an outdoors type to truly appreciate the area though.