British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Australia or Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/australia-canada-541869/)

Rachel... Jun 8th 2008 10:13 am

Australia or Canada

Hi guys,

We are just about to start the whole migrating thing, we are trying to decide if Canada or Australia would suit us best, we love the both countries from what we have seen- internet only! :rofl: Do you guys have had ideas? maybe you have lived in both or was stuck between the two?

We are a family of 4, two young children 6 & 3, i am a teacher and my OH is in Plumbing/Air- Con... we want a really nice lifestyle for our children's up bringing and a friendly family place, i know the weather is better in Australia sunny wise..

We will be trying to visit both to get a feel for the place, ( also buying the DVD's on the countries)... LOL....but was just wondering what some of you guys thought..thanks for your time

Rachel

JAJ Jun 8th 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Australia or Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_versus_Australia

ann m Jun 8th 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Rachel

This is a frequent topic for discussion ;)

First stop - have a look here at a section from the wiki

and try a search - there have been numerous threads on the similarities and differences, some not that long ago ...

(sorry - not being unhelpful, but got to go to work shortly, otherwise I'd hunt for them on your behalf ! )

Edit - JAJ has beaten me to it !

Judy in Calgary Jun 8th 2008 5:02 pm

I've lived in both countries.

If I had the ability to go back to square one and start all over again, I'd go to Australia. But my reasons for doing so would not be applicable to you. I'm from Southern Africa originally. Australia is closer to my family back home, the seasons are in synch with those of my home country, and there are large swaths of Australia that have climate and vegetation that are similar to those in large swaths of Southern Africa.

You're in the UK, so all of those factors would be the opposite for you.

This question has been asked so many times on this forum, and I personally have answered it so many times, that I eventually wrote a Wiki article to serve as my once-and-for-all response. (Some folks from the Australia forum added some comments to it, so I believe it is balanced.) The article is called Canada versus Australia.

One warning is in order in your case. With some very rare exceptions that have been mentioned on this forum, it takes a long time to break into teaching in Canada. See the Wiki article called Teaching in Canada.

Oh, I see others have pointed you to "Canada versus Australia." Anyway, I'll let my answer stand. It's human nature to want to hear from people who have really done it, and not just to be pointed to an article. Well, I've lived in both countries and, as I said before, I've lost count of the number of times I've answered this question.

If you're looking for some additional insight that will serve as the magic bullet that will help you to decide, I can tell you there isn't one. The Wiki article covers the salient points, and there is nothing more to be said on the subject.

Okay, there is more that could be said, but anything that could be said is just an expansion of one of the points that's mentioned in the Wiki. Once in a while, I visit the Moving Back To The UK forum, and the reasons that people cite for returning to the UK from what might be described as "new" countries are reasons that, in one form or another, are covered in the "Canada versus Australia" article.

There are many British expats who have settled into foreign countries very happily. However, as part of your due diligence, it's essential for you to read the articles in the Canada Challenges part of the Wiki.

Also, since you're into buying DVDs and things of that nature, you might consider investing in the Migration Planner Workbook that Louise Green offers. She's a British expat who lives in Canmore, Alberta, Canada.

Well, Rachel, I hope that has helped.
x

Judy in Calgary Jun 8th 2008 5:14 pm

This discussion thread, entitled Canada or Australia ????, has some commentary on the topic, and it also provides links to still more discussion threads.
x

jancal Jun 8th 2008 6:22 pm

Having had the chance to live in both countries, Canada wins hands down.

I find Canadians far more friendly and welcoming. I have never come across any anti-English sentiments in Canada but in Australia it was very different. It gets a bit wearing - the knocking Poms attitude.

I also found Oz to be a bit backward. It may be different now but many houses had no air-conditioning and for those cold days in the winter (which they do get) there was only one fire in the living to keep the whole house warm. And a tin roof! So you fried in Summer and froze in winter.

When our contract finished in OZ we were quite happy to leave. Some years later we came to Canada originally for only 6 months-1 year, we are still here 7 years later and Canadian Citizens now.

Canada is also nearer to the UK.

dthomas Jun 9th 2008 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rachel... (Post 6446599)
Hi guys,

We are just about to start the whole migrating thing, we are trying to decide if Canada or Australia would suit us best, we love the both countries from what we have seen- internet only! :rofl: Do you guys have had ideas? maybe you have lived in both or was stuck between the two?

We are a family of 4, two young children 6 & 3, i am a teacher and my OH is in Plumbing/Air- Con... we want a really nice lifestyle for our children's up bringing and a friendly family place, i know the weather is better in Australia sunny wise..

We will be trying to visit both to get a feel for the place, ( also buying the DVD's on the countries)... LOL....but was just wondering what some of you guys thought..thanks for your time

Rachel

What level do you teach (P/M/S or College/Tech Voc.)? What subject(s). There is presently a big demand for senior maths and sciences (physical sciences, chemistry, physics, biology, ecology, etc.). Any chance you are reasonably fluent in French? Spanish? Would you be willing to work in a rural - or remote [Arctic] - area?

montreal mike Jun 9th 2008 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by jancal (Post 6447381)
I have never come across any anti-English sentiments in Canada but in Australia it was very different. It gets a bit wearing - the knocking Poms attitude..

I have heard this said often. Why the anti english? Were the original ozzies not english criminals who were shipped over there centuries ago?

Does not sound like the Ozzies are too fond of mid-eastern immigrants either since there was a nasty race riot on some beach a while back.

R I C H Jun 9th 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jancal (Post 6447381)
I find Canadians far more friendly and welcoming. I have never come across any anti-English sentiments in Canada but in Australia it was very different. It gets a bit wearing - the knocking Poms attitude.

When I lived In Australia I just took it as banter - you gain some respect by throwing something back at them, or get viewed as a weak Pom if you don't. It's just their way of seeing if you're willing to stand up for yourself as far as I could tell, and it never seemed anything but leg-pulling in nature.

jericho Jun 9th 2008 8:56 pm

Not been to Oz, but I like my winters to be cold and snowy and I'm not sure i'd want my christmas to be in sweltering heat.
Also, too many spiders etc in Oz for my liking...

sinurt Jun 9th 2008 9:59 pm

Hi,
We had the same dilemma as you, we even started the visa process for Australia but something kept drawing us back to Canada. We visited both places last year and we both did prefer Canada - our only problem was getting out here. However after much searching and applying for jobs I got a job offer out here and we moved at the end of March. Totally love the place and we feel we made the right decision :thumbsup: Weather has been lovely here (over 30 yesterday) and the place is very family friendly ( we have a 2 yr old)

I would definitely advise visiting both places if you can. Have you looked at any particular areas in either Canada or Australia?

Sinead

geedee Jun 9th 2008 11:48 pm

Don't forget the creepie-crawlies!

There's some big, dangerous ones in Oz, but most of them in Canada won't kill you.... :ohmy:

JonboyE Jun 10th 2008 12:34 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 6451417)
Don't forget the creepie-crawlies!

There's some big, dangerous ones in Oz, but most of them in Canada won't kill you.... :ohmy:

This bugger will.

http://www.badspiderbites.com/images...dow-spider.jpg

Dave+Jules Jun 10th 2008 1:00 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 6451523)

Not in Atlantic Canada (I believe). We just have blood sucking Mosquito's :eek: and blackfly who like to chew and sip:blink:

northernbird Jun 10th 2008 4:10 am

Having spent 4 years in Canada and now 3 years in Australia I would say other than the weather I find them very similar.

I would say however go for the pull of a particular country, not for the push of the UK. The same issues that drive you crazy in the UK happen overseas and you won't have the familiarity, friends or family to help you deal with the differences.