Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada

Australia or Canada

Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or Canada

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Not in Atlantic Canada (I believe).
I wouldn't like to rely on it. Northern black widows certainly exist in New England and "the adjacent parts of Canada".

There are probably few and far between because they prefer warmer and drier climates. We do occasionally find Western Black Widows on the coast in BC, but they are much more common in the Okanagan.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:47 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

In Australia the leading causes of death are heart disease and cancer. These diseases account for two thirds of Australian deaths.

Australia's male life expectancy is fifth in the world, after Iceland, Hong Kong, Japan and Switzerland.

Australia's female life expectancy is sixth in the world, after Japan, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Spain and France.

How about Canada? Life expectancy in Canada ranks eighth in the world, for both males and females.

And guess what. In Canada the leading causes of death are heart disease and cancer.

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I know that the chances of dying from a snake bite or spider bite are something like 0.000001% and the chances of being killed by a bear are something like 0.000001%.

If any animal is dangerous it is our fellow human, e.g., the drunk driver. These are to be found in both Australia and Canada.

Edited to add that I found another website that lists Australia's life expectancy as eighth in the world and Canada's as thirteenth. Whichever way you slice the figures, Australia and Canada both are up there with other First World countries.

According to this website, the UK ranks #36. Still, with a life expectancy of 78.7 years, it's not far behind Australia's 80.6 years and Canada's 80.3 years.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jun 10th 2008 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Added UK's life expectancy.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:17 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jancal
Having had the chance to live in both countries, Canada wins hands down.

I find Canadians far more friendly and welcoming. I have never come across any anti-English sentiments in Canada but in Australia it was very different. It gets a bit wearing - the knocking Poms attitude.

I also found Oz to be a bit backward. It may be different now but many houses had no air-conditioning and for those cold days in the winter (which they do get) there was only one fire in the living to keep the whole house warm. And a tin roof! So you fried in Summer and froze in winter.

When our contract finished in OZ we were quite happy to leave. Some years later we came to Canada originally for only 6 months-1 year, we are still here 7 years later and Canadian Citizens now.

Canada is also nearer to the UK.
My husband and i moved from the UK to NZ 4 1/2 years ago,

We are currently living in NZ and although its not Australia, i agree with everything said above and believe me it applies to NZ too so Canada does win for us too, we are looking at reloacating to Canada next year, via work permits then applying for Residency.

Wow i miss central heating too !
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:39 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rachel...
Hi guys,

We are just about to start the whole migrating thing, we are trying to decide if Canada or Australia would suit us best, we love the both countries from what we have seen- internet only! Do you guys have had ideas? maybe you have lived in both or was stuck between the two?

We are a family of 4, two young children 6 & 3, i am a teacher and my OH is in Plumbing/Air- Con... we want a really nice lifestyle for our children's up bringing and a friendly family place, i know the weather is better in Australia sunny wise..

We will be trying to visit both to get a feel for the place, ( also buying the DVD's on the countries)... LOL....but was just wondering what some of you guys thought..thanks for your time

Rachel
to add to other comments, i think a lot of it has to do with what type of person you are/your family ; even just using these boards as a guide the aussie immigration appears to attract a lot of the essex girl/sunseeker crowd

appears to be a fair bit of racial tension in oz these days, in alberta the good ole boys tend to keep these conversations for the pig roast, while the empty 'how are you' to their ethnic neighbour is part of their day to day pleasantries
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't live in Australia, I don't even want to go there on holiday.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Having had the chance to live in both countries, Canada wins hands down.

I find Canadians far more friendly and welcoming. I have never come across any anti-English sentiments in Canada but in Australia it was very different. It gets a bit wearing - the knocking Poms attitude.

I also found Oz to be a bit backward. It may be different now but many houses had no air-conditioning and for those cold days in the winter (which they do get) there was only one fire in the living to keep the whole house warm. And a tin roof! So you fried in Summer and froze in winter.

When our contract finished in OZ we were quite happy to leave. Some years later we came to Canada originally for only 6 months-1 year, we are still here 7 years later and Canadian Citizens now.

Canada is also nearer to the UK.

I don't think there is much anti-english sentiment in Australia. Most of it is just joking around and leg-pulling usually to do with sport.

As for the comment about the houses having no airconditioning. Well I have had air conditioning and central heating in every house I have lived in since the late 1970's and so do most people I know in Melbourne. Maybe if someone bought a house that was built in the 1950's and hadn't been updated since the heating etc. might not be up to date. Heating is not a big priority in warmer climates though such as Queensland but nearly everyone I know in Melbourne has central heating (ducted heating). As for a tin roof - do you mean colourbond roof as I haven't seen a house with a tin roof anywhere in Melbourne.

I think it would be best to visit both countries and see which one suits your needs best.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by babsi
I couldn't live in Australia, I don't even want to go there on holiday.
Well if you have never been there how can you comment?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

hi, we have lived in new zealand for 4 years and originall yfrom scotland. we were trying to decide whether to go to australia or canada to live and we have decided canada hands down.

new zealand is backwards, full of anti british sentiment, jealousy, tall poppy syndrome rubbish and we are fed up with it. Australia from what weve heard seems fairly similar. I could go on and on for hrs about how disgraceful it is, but instead, i'll just say that canada seems to tick all the boxes. lovely white winters, nice warm summers, friendly people etc etc.

we are leaving hopefully in under 12 wks time, cant wait, and have no 2nd thoughts about going to ozzie instead!!!

good luck with your decision!!!
Old Jun 11th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Both countries offer a great choice - I will PM you.

Last edited by Tableland; Jun 11th 2008 at 9:09 am.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:49 am
Arrowotwn - Central Otago

petsar68 will become famous soon enoughpetsar68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
hi, we have lived in new zealand for 4 years and originall yfrom scotland. we were trying to decide whether to go to australia or canada to live and we have decided canada hands down.

new zealand is backwards, full of anti british sentiment, jealousy, tall poppy syndrome rubbish and we are fed up with it. Australia from what weve heard seems fairly similar. I could go on and on for hrs about how disgraceful it is, but instead, i'll just say that canada seems to tick all the boxes. lovely white winters, nice warm summers, friendly people etc etc.

we are leaving hopefully in under 12 wks time, cant wait, and have no 2nd thoughts about going to ozzie instead!!!

I am staggered by the above quote. We ended up in NZ even though we had our Visas for Canada.
If you fly out to Auz on a recce i'd advise popping down to NZ as its wonderful. On a personal note i would advise the South Island its just so beautiful and quiet.
I am still in shock with the above quote as i have found the total opposite. Each to their own i guess and i hope Canada works out for you guys. Good luck.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

We love Australia, warm, safe and you can do anything you want to put your mind to attitude Each to their own, I wouldn't contemplate going to live somewhere if I had never visited the country, just my opinion.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:18 am

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grantanddebs

Oz is worse - having now lived in NZ, Oz and now Canada. Canadians are much the nicer people.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:00 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Australia or Canada

Oz is worse - having now lived in NZ, Oz and now Canada. Canadians are much the nicer people.
Canada is made up of migrants and so do OZ!I would say same shit in different buckets. Try looking at: not canada dot com

http://www.youtube.com/v/AbUvI-sU2hg&hl=en

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=aYjoYLtAcls

Last edited by smurtaza; Jun 18th 2008 at 3:09 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Canada is made up of migrants and so do OZ!I would say same shit in different buckets. Trying looking at: not canada dot com

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbUvI-sU2hg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbUvI-sU2hg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Yeah, but the first lot of Australian immigrants were sent there by force, while the initial canadian immigrants went of their own free will.

At the end of the day Australia is full of Australians innit....

Not canada dot com is populated by whining immigrants who did zero homework and expected the promised land if you ask me. Experiences there are not representative of those of british immigrants with good language skills and british qualifications that are more widely respected than those from parts of asia and the former eastern bloc countries.

Australia has two things in its favour though...its much faster to get into, and most people probably would prefer the climate given the choice. Ive got used to the 4 season nature of Ontario, and would probably miss it now, and as I had a job to come to, getting into Canada wasnt a big hassle back in the day.

The fact that canada and england dont regularly compete in sporting events perhaps has something to do with the general lack of pom bashing...

Last edited by iaink; Jun 18th 2008 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:14 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Yeah, but the first lot of Australian immigrants were sent there by force, while the initial canadian immigrants went of their own free will.

At the end of the day Australia is full of Australians innit....

Not canada dot com is populated by whining immigrants who did zero homework and expected the promised land if you ask me. Experiences there are not representative of those of british immigrants with good language skills and british qualifications that are more widely respected than those from parts of asia and the former eastern bloc countries.

Australia has two things in its favour though...its much faster to get into, and most people probably would prefer the climate given the choice.
The initial people in Australia are Aboriginals and they are not white or sent in by force.Both countries lack in history.You can call this as a Australian racist comment but this is true that "british immigrants with good language skills and british qualifications that are more widely respected than those from parts of asia and the former eastern bloc countries." may be skill colour also matters at some ocassions.

Last edited by smurtaza; Jun 18th 2008 at 3:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.